Remote Desktop Web Connection Issues

mscheaffer

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
I can not get this to work. I have followed all the instructions to the letter. I have enabled the Remote desktop web service. I forwarded ports 3389 and whatever other port I am trying to use (currently 80) on the linksys router. I can't connect to it from another computer. I type http://<ipaddress>:<port>/tsweb/. It just tries to connect and never does anything, eventually just saying it couldn't . I have tried using different ports for the default webpage in the IIS settings, but none work. The wierd thing is I think I see the problem. When I port scan the computer, 3389 shows up as open and listening. And my regular RDC works fine. It is the RD WEB C that will not work. When port scanning, I can't see the other port (whether it be 80 or whatever I set it to). So that tells me the port is closed or is not listening. I know it is not closed, as I have it opened just like port 3389, port 21 for my ftp server, some mIRC DCC ports, a port for bittorrent, etc. They all work fine. So for some reason it seems IIS web server is not working properly and listening on the port i tell it to (or on any port at all), even though the service is started. What is the problem here?

Thanks in advance

coldhand

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
Not sure how much this will help but you may have already tried it. Have you tried connecting internally using tsweb?

http://server-name/tsweb/

Also do you have any internal software firewall even the basic window firewall enabled? if so, you could try disabling this completing an trying.

boqot

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
as long as you have the private ip range forget. for remote desktop connection to work you need to be on the 196.x.x.x . there are over millions of people/companies that are having the same private IP and the PC's will get confused. So make sure you have that public IP, i strugled for over a year before i got the answer

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Always test with a local machine before testing over the net. If you don't put in the /tsweb, you should get a default IIS page, unless you have a site there. If that doesn't work, then IIS is pooched.