Access To Control panel

I have 2 user accounts on my PC (win xp pro)

On my main account it is a administrator but when I go to "add remove
programs" in the control panel
I get the following message "These control panel options are not available
to make changes contact your system administrator"
well that's me! how can I get "add remove programs" back?
8 answers Last reply
More about access control panel

    del@here.com wrote:

    >I have 2 user accounts on my PC (win xp pro)
    >
    >On my main account it is a administrator but when I go to "add remove
    >programs" in the control panel
    >I get the following message "These control panel options are not available
    >to make changes contact your system administrator"
    >well that's me! how can I get "add remove programs" back?

    Try this: "How to Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313222).

    --
    (tm)
    ICQ: 192649233

    Tried that doesnt seem to do anything.

    Iany ideas?

    del@here.com wrote:

    >Tried that doesnt seem to do anything.

    Then check your PC against viruses and other malware.

    --
    (tm)
    ICQ: 192649233

    I have antivirus installed and a firewall, so thats not the problem

    In news:429ee9d8$0$72501$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com,
    del@here.com <del@here.com> typed:

    > I have antivirus installed and a firewall, so thats not the
    > problem

    You quoted nothing, so I can't tell what your question was or
    what is "not the problem." However, be aware that an antivirus
    program reduces the risk of a virus substantially, but can never
    guarantee that there are no viruses on your system.

    Also, you say antivirus and a firewall, but you say nothing about
    the other common type of malware these days--spyware. Unless you
    run at least a couple of different anti-spyware programs, it's
    *very* likely that you have multiple spyware infections.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    <del@here.com> wrote in message
    > I have antivirus installed and a firewall, so thats not the problem

    .... not necessarily. I regularly remove viruses, trojans, and spyware from
    systems that have antivirus and firewalls.

    Perhaps you shouldn't be too quick to just discount possible problems.
    Check first.

    HTH
    -pk

    Look I know it is not spyware or a virus or a trojan etc believe me I have
    scanned my computer. (with several different products)

    thanks for the help

    On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 00:08:22 GMT, del@here.com wrote:

    > Look I know it is not spyware or a virus or a trojan etc believe me I have
    > scanned my computer. (with several different products)
    >
    > thanks for the help

    Regardless, something is blocking a default security setting from working
    properly. Since restoring the defaults as Thorsten first recommended did
    not work, the next step is finding out what is blocking that change and
    access to control panel. Spyware and viruses are the most common
    explanation for an unexpected change in permissions. Hence, the
    recommendation to scan the system with up to anti-virus and anti-spyware
    programs.

    Other things to try are creating a new account in the administrator group
    to see if has the same trouble accessing Control Panel. And booting to Safe
    Mode and trying there.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User