No option to format partition when installing xp profesisonal. HELP

fatalavocation

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Ok, so I finally decided to backup my data, reformat and start over. I have done this before, with this computer and this windows disc. Everything was going fine until I ran into a huge problem, which i cant figure out.

I booted off of my windows disc, and went ahead and deleted the my C drives partition. Then went to format and install. But, after I deleted the partition, and hit "enter" to install XP on that partition, which usually takes you to the format screen, asking you if you want fat32 quick or normal, etc. But, this time, for some reason instead of going to that screen, it takes me to a screen saying that that particular partition is not compatible with Windows XP, and that I need to go back to the other screen and delete the partition, and create a new one, formatted with a windows compatible format. So basically I am stuck with a blank drive and no way to install windows on it. I cannot figure out why my windows cd has decided to leave out the format option. PLease help!! Thank you!

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Its been a while since I have done this so hopefully my memory is clear.
When the cd is booting press F8 to boot into a recovery console.
Then type diskpart <enter>
Delete the existing partition.
Windows should work now.
Do you have a system maker XP CD or a retail version?
If it is a system maker you should be good to go.
If its retail and If you have a SATA drive You will need either SP2 version od XP or the SATA drivers from your MB.
Below is a couple of links to help with diskpart commands if you need them.
http://commandwindows.com/recovery-console-commands.htm
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766465(WS.10).aspx

fatalavocation

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
thanks for replying! the version of windows im using is xp professional with sp2, so it should work fine there. and about the recovery console, will that give me an option to format the drive? because i do not have a problem deleting the partition, i just have a problem creating one that is a windows compatible format. and what is a system maker cd? do you mean professional? i am using sata drives, but i have the sp2 version of windows. thanks again for replying.

fatalavocation

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
i just tried using the recovery console (the boot menu you were talking about) and when i type diskpart it takes me to the same partition creation/deletion screen as when installing windows normally. this isnt a problem because it works, i still have not figured out how to format to ntfs. i tried formatting with the recovery console, but i couldnt get it to work. im not a dos pro. haha.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
No by system maker I mean one supplied by Dell or Compaq or someone.
It sounds like you have retail so your good.

Yes you can create a partition from the same way you can delete it.
Actually once you delete it XP should automatically want to create one during the install.
Im not sure why after you deleted yours that you got that message.
When you created it the first time did you use microsoft products or something like partition magic?

Give me till later today and Ill pull out my XP cd and go through it to be sure to give correct info. If all else fails I have another trick up my sleeve.
Well get it.