New Build - Have Vista 32, or Purchase 64?

wigwamjunior

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
I already own Vista Ultimate (32-bit) and I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead and use it on a new build (AMD x3 720, Gigabyte UD4P, 4 gigs DDR3 1600, HD7700). Or should I plunk down the $110 and pick up Vista Home Premium (64-bit) with the free upgrade to Windows 7 (64-bit).

I know I'll be losing almost 1 gig of that memory. And down the road I'd migrate to 64. Is it the better $$ deal to get 64-bit now? Or go with Vista 32 for awhile? I'm not a hardcore gamer, though my wife wants to get into doing some minor touchups in Photoshop. I've never bought an OS (first PCs came with OS) and I'm not sure what a good deal is.

Much thanks. And pardon the resurrection of a dead horse. I hope the financial side of it is a new angle.

...an angle that's been beaten to death, pretty much. ;) No biggie, tho. :)

Is your current copy of Vista a Retail, or OEM one? If it's retail, then MSFT will send you a 64 bit DVD for something like $11 shipping and handling. If it's OEM, then you're not able to participate in that particular deal.

Something you might want to think about is continuing so use 32 bit Vista until Win 7 ships - then just buy the 64 bit upgrade disc. You'll have to do a clean install to make the change, but at this point: With an OEM disc, that's probably the most cost~effective way to make the jump.

Up until a couple weeks ago, it was possible to download a copy of the Windows 7 Release Candidate directly from Microsoft. That would last until May 2010 - with the real thing becoming available in October. It would still cost you a clean install, and you'd have to eventually buy a real copy anyways, but it was an option that was available to tide you over. There are still copies "In The Wild" that I suppose you could reach out and grab, but be advised a number of them are pre~hacked by various 3rd parties.

wigwamjunior

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
I forget to mention that it's OEM. It doesn't appear that's there's an easy solution to this one. It's either going to cost me something now or later. At least with 64 installed, I wouldn't need to wipe the HD for the upgrade to Windows 7. Thanks for the reply.

TRENDING THREADS