Why does unused desktop icon wizard lie?

June 1, 2005 2:52:21 AM

Periodically, Windows informs me of unused desktop icons and offers to hide
them. The unused desktop icon wizard then lists the supposedly unused
icons. It is invariably wrong, listing numerous icons that i use often.

Why does Windows make this mistake?

How can I get windows to correctly track use of desktop icons, or,
alternatively, how can I kill the wizad forever?

Bill Pine
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 2:52:22 AM

In news:o O98vTlZFHA.796@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Bill Pine <wpine@comcast.net> did some thinking and came up with these
words:
> Periodically, Windows informs me of unused desktop icons and offers
> to hide them. The unused desktop icon wizard then lists the
> supposedly unused icons. It is invariably wrong, listing numerous
> icons that i use often.
> Why does Windows make this mistake?
>
> How can I get windows to correctly track use of desktop icons, or,
> alternatively, how can I kill the wizad forever?
>
> Bill Pine

Right click on Desktop - Properties - Desktop - Customize Desktop - remove
check from Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard every 60 days

--
Ron Bogart {} ô¿ô¬
Associate Expert