Sign in with
Your question

Please Help Me Build My Dad a New PC

Last response: in Systems
June 4, 2007 3:54:39 AM

I have been browsing these forums for a little while now and I have picked up a few things on the way, so I think I have a pretty good build so far.

Could you please look at what I have so far and give me any ideas for improvement.

My dad wants to stay under $1,000, but the cheaper the better.

He doesn't need a powerhouse. All he basically uses is Microsoft word and Excel for work, and he has a huge collection of music that he organizes and listens to.

He plans on keeping it for about 5 years. (when he will then do a full re-build)

Here are the specs so far:

Motherboard:
ASUS M2A-VM HDMI Socket AM2 AMD 690G uATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+(65W) Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADO4600CUBOX - Retail

RAM:
Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR667D2K2/2GR - Retail

HDD x2:
Seagate SV35 Series ST3320620SV 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

DVD/CD Burner:
ASUS 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe and 14X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model DRW-1814BLT - OEM

PSU:
FSP Group (Fortron Source) Blue Storm II 500 ATX 2.2V 500W Power Supply - Retail

LCD Pannel:
Hanns·G HW-191APB Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

Total Price so far: 724$

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

He really doesn't want to wait for anything new to come out. So please just work with w/e is in stores today.

Thanks!

*edit*
Updated Build

Do you think the PSU is overkill? I want a quality one, but I don't need to power a city. I guess I need at least 3 sata plugs.

More about : build dad

June 4, 2007 4:48:07 AM

Good CPU, PSU, and RAM choices.

I would get a P965 motherboard instead of the P945. Take a look at this one: Gigabyte DS3 (rev 1.3)

Even better, if you don't need to play games or anything like that, get one of these motherboards with integrated video and skip the X1550 card.
ASUS P5B-VM or
Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3

Along those lines, I'd try using the motherboard integrated sound instead of the Audigy. You can always add a sound card later if you have to, but the onboard sound is actually quite good on modern motherboards, and can save you some $$.

I don't know why you're mixing and matching HD sizes and manufacturers, but Seagate and WD are both good choices. 320 GB seems to be the sweet spot for $/GB, might want to look at those instead.

I'd recommend this DVD-burner: Sony/NEC Optiarc. Yeah it's out of stock but says it'll be back Friday. This one is largely regarded as among the best of the "cheap" DVD drives (cheap compared to something like a Plextor).

I don't know anything about that LCD, can't help you there. Looks nice though.

You might also consider an AMD system, if you're not overclocking the E4400 an equivalent AMD processor would be cheaper, and they have the integrated video 690G chipset which is better than the Intel G965. Just a thought for your budget conscious system, your build should work fine as well. If you did want to consider AMD, look at this motherboard and this CPU.
June 4, 2007 4:57:43 AM

Yeah, no real point getting a low end sound card when you can just use onboard, particularly if your not going to be taking advantage of the features of the card like EAX.
Related resources
June 4, 2007 5:33:23 AM

Thanks for the solid advise.

I updated the build.
June 4, 2007 6:13:09 AM

Wow want a great system for only $724!!!!

I dont think I will ever get a Pre-built system again.

What case\keyboard\mouse will you be using?
June 4, 2007 6:17:06 AM

Quote:
Wow want a great system for only $724!!!!

I dont think I will ever get a Pre-built system again.

Heh, I was just thinking that!

Some people use the argument that it's not worth the hassle to put it together by yourself.

However, I think that the fun of putting it together is the best part.
June 4, 2007 6:58:18 AM

well... what is it he does that his old system is no longer fast enough for?
that info helps alot with recomendations.
though from what you have given an x2 3600 brisbane would be more than ample. also even 1 gig ram would suffice- excel word and music are not very demanding[by todays standards :roll: ] and dont think they'll be any more so in five years.
also 600 gigs of storage is alot unless you're talking pics,video, ect...
i dunno just my opinion.
edit: just thought a little more about it... what os are you plugging in? that will say alot for how much ram, cpu, video you need.
June 4, 2007 7:08:45 AM

Quote:
well... what is it he does that his old system is no longer fast enough for?

edit: just thought a little more about it... what os are you plugging in? that will say alot for how much ram, cpu, video you need.

1. He has a really old p4 with 512MB ram

2. Most likely Vista Business

He is just sad that his computer is the oldest in the family. And it is getting bogged down w/ bloatware.

I just want to give him a performance boost that he will really notice.

And he wants all of the HDD space for all of his music on one HDD and everything else on another.
June 4, 2007 7:15:43 AM

Quote:
...And he wants all of the HDD space for all of his music on one HDD and everything else on another.

Hey jjnguy13, i dont know if you saw my build, but if he wants his music on a 2nd drive, I got a great WD 500G for like $129.00 Canadian at TigerDirect.

If he likes his music (like I do), ripping at a higher bit rate makes a huge difference but takes up a lot of space. 500Gigs at 129Cnd is to me now the sweet spot.

Just letting you know my opinion ;-)
June 4, 2007 3:58:20 PM

Why not try a software RAID5 for him--hard drives have a tenancy to fail so adding a hot drive should be optimum, especially if he has alot of unique music (my Uncle uses a SCSI Hardware Raid5 with about 1TB of storage for his extensive music collection, including the conversion of thousands of CDs (he has several thousand CDs), hundreds of tapes, LPs, vinyls, and other music). You can get less-expensive WD3200AAKS drives, single platter, for $80/each.
June 4, 2007 4:05:34 PM

Quote:
What case\keyboard\mouse will you be using?

I have no idea. I am going to let him pick out one(case) that he likes, and I think he already has a mouse and a keyboard.

I looked at the 500GB HDD's and they do look like they are worth the money. I might switch those around a bit. Maybe 160 and 500 or something.

Thanks
!