Western Digital External HDD = Good?

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
So I was looking around and I stumbled upon this here.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8188098&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat107700050005&id=1164155963988

I like this because it has ethernet LAN connection on it which is REALLY appealing to me. It says I can access my files from anywhere which sounds amazing. But I'm not to knowledgeable on computer cables so sorry if this sounds stupid but can ethernet transfer files faster than USB and/or firewire?

I really like Western Digital Internal HDD but I'm wondering how the External Drives perform in terms of reliability. It seems as though I have pretty bad luck with HDD considering 4 Seagates have failed on me in less than 4 years (about 1 bad drive per year).

I need something thats going to be extremely reliable. Seeing that I want to store my pictures, songs, word documents (which is the major one), and movies.

So what are your thoughts?

all brands make bad drives here and there, drives tend to last longer keeping under 40*c for its whole life span etc, and if you bought maxtor drives, it would have been alot worse ;)

should be fine there, but if you need reliability, try RAID 1

Well that drive has the same WDC's(2 500's) in it as you get for internal use.

USB will slow down transfers to a extent(about 35 megs a second across the board). Raid 1 is a great option. you will only get 500gigs(465GB once you take into consideration that a gig is 1024 megs ect)but one drive can fail and you will loose NOTHING :)

Another nice feature i've seem on WDC's external drives is they power off with the computer. and power down when not in use to save power(some dont like this one)

That thing tempts me for a backup drive. :) does it come in black....

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Well that drive has the same WDC's(2 500's) in it as you get for internal use.

USB will slow down transfers to a extent(about 35 megs a second across the board). Raid 1 is a great option. you will only get 500gigs(465GB once you take into consideration that a gig is 1024 megs ect)but one drive can fail and you will loose NOTHING :)

Another nice feature i've seem on WDC's external drives is they power off with the computer. and power down when not in use to save power(some dont like this one)

That thing tempts me for a backup drive. :) does it come in black....

Actually I found it on newegg and the reviews arent that great.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136083

my bad. i did not know it was networked(and capped @ 10 megs a second). i thought it was just the usb mybook on crack(with dual drives).

I retract any recommendations for this thing.

sorry

why do they cap em at 10? wtf

btw raid 1 may protect your data physically but you still gotta watch out for surges and virus's etc (and accidental deletion) ;)