5.1, 6.1 and 7.1

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 22, 2005 11:32:40 AM

I just moved into a new house which will allow me to place 1 or 2
speakers behind my couch. I am buying a new receiver so might as well
buy the one that is capable of decoding 6.1 or 7.1 audio streams.
However, no big box dealer in my town have a 6.1 or 7.1 setup so I’m
wondering how much difference will I hear going from 5.1 to 7.1?
Personally, I think 7.1 is kind of gimmicky because the two rear
surround speakers are mono anyway so I might just go with a 6.1 and
buy an extra speaker for that purpose. What do you think?

More about : question

Anonymous
January 22, 2005 6:11:36 PM

In article <um34v0dumrv4j0idpabp6nhpcmujh0squt@4ax.com>,
nospam@nospam.com wrote:
> What do you think?

Can you change the:
"charset=Big5" to "Charset=US-ASCII" so I can read your post??

thanks,

m-m
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 7:01:59 PM

Dolby Digital EX is matrix but DTS ES is full stereo for the back speakers.
There aren't as many DTS ES DVDs but when you can find one the sound is
awesome. I have a 6.1 receiver in my home theater (although I have two rear
speakers for eventual expansion to 7.1) and I can definitely tell the
difference when I am watching a movie encoded in DTS ES. For example, in
the opening battle scene in "Gladiator", you can definitely hear the arrows
flying over your head from back to front. The extended editions of "Lord of
the Ring" are also in DTS ES which would be an incredible movie even without
the sound. I have also watched movies recorded in DD EX but there is not
quite the dramatic difference as there is with DTS ES. Still, having
additional speakers does contribute to the overall ambiance and you can
readily tell the difference between 6.1 and 5.1 for spectacle type movies.
FWIW, I do not have a 7.1 receiver because of the relative scarcity of 7.1
encoded movies. Many of the new DVD releases are 6.1 especially if they
have a DTS sound track but 7.1 movies are much, much fewer.

--Brian K. White

!