Your question

Packet Loss

Tags:
  • Games
  • Packet Loss
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
October 20, 2007 3:26:12 PM

So ive been playing a few games lately. One in particular, ive been having problems. Also, alot of other programs (such as xfire) randomly disconnect.

I think ive finally found the problem, but not the solution. Everything I trace using the ping plotter program, comes up with packet loss on the same IP. It varies from 0% to 100%

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k150/ShortRef/pipex3....

Is there a solution?

More about : packet loss

October 21, 2007 3:34:08 PM

the packetloss on the intremediate hop is very unlikely to be related to your issue. If it was, alls subsequent hops should show show at least as many packtes lost. That hop is a router which may be a bit busy and hence drops ICMP packets sent to itself to conserve CPU. According to pingplotter all subsequent hps have no packetloss, and so the node with packetloss is routing correctly without affectinge service.

I'm afraid you'll have to look for another cause for the poor game performance.
October 21, 2007 7:03:35 PM

calyn said:
the packetloss on the intremediate hop is very unlikely to be related to your issue. If it was, alls subsequent hops should show show at least as many packtes lost. That hop is a router which may be a bit busy and hence drops ICMP packets sent to itself to conserve CPU. According to pingplotter all subsequent hps have no packetloss, and so the node with packetloss is routing correctly without affectinge service.

I'm afraid you'll have to look for another cause for the poor game performance.

Thanks :) . I figured that out today, and I finally found the cause.

Hard rebooting the router did no good, so I soft rebooted it :) 

!