Vista Limits Recording Options From Your Sound Board Now?

Witt78

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Going to make a long story short.

I publish a left wing political podcast as a hobby. www.joe-6-pack.com

In the process of creating these podcast episodes, I often used the Ask & Record Toolbar. http://www.applian.com/asktoolbar/download.php

I use it to capture the audio from you tube videos, etc. I grab sound bites which I then put into the podcast.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recently formatted my machine and reinstalled everything. Here is my problem.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After the format and reinstall, I can't get this toolbar to record. I have tried many other softwares, all with similar results. They won't work, or I end up with a silent mp3.

It seems that no matter what software I use, I only have two choices as the input in settings. My microphone, or the line in jack. Before the format I could select the sound card itself as an input.

I have heard that Windows Vista (64 Home Premium) by default limits the recording options available to you.
Do you guys have any information or suggestions? Short of buying a real sound board? I am running a small sound board that came with my Asus P5E Deluxe motherboard. (It's like onboard sound, but it's not onboard. It is a PCI-E card that seats into a special "sound board only Extra PCI slot".

Thanks in advance for the advice.

- Witt (Joe 6 Pack)

Witt78

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Found the solution to this problem.

Start ==> Control Panel ==> Sound.

With the Sound Window open, select the Recording Tab.

With Recording Tab selected, right click in empty space within the selection box. Check the "Show Disabled" option.

Now select the "Stereo Mix" entity. Properties. Enable the entity.

Now you can select "Stereo Mix" within the Ask Record toolbar / Freecorder / I-Sound

- Witt