Sign in with
Your question

HELP! New NICE build, but BSOD during XP install!

Last response: in Systems
June 4, 2007 7:52:20 AM

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

I recently ordered all new parts and assembled everything.
I'm sure it is all hooked up correctly.
These are the components:

ASUS Striker Extreme motherboard
Intel QX6700 Core 2 Extreme processor
2 x 1 gb Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 1066 ram
EVGA Nvidia 8800 GTX 768 mb video card
150 gb Western Digital Raptor 10k rpm hard drive
850 watt Thermaltake Tough Power psu

Cooler Master Stacker 830 case
Zalman 9700 cpu cooler
7 120mm case fans

When trying to install Windows XP, I keep getting BSOD errors. They happen right around the step of the installation where the computer reboots before installing all the Windows components.

A couple of the BSOD erros I kept getting are:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

(I can't remember whether I got both of the IRQL ones or just one...)

I've updated the BIOS on the motherboard to the most current version 1102. I've also tried using a different video card, ram, and hard drive.
I've also tried using a few different Windows discs and even tried installing Vista, but had the same problems.

Is anyone out there familiar with these specific components?
I RMA'd the motherboard back to Newegg, assuming that it was the problem. I should have the new one this week.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!
June 4, 2007 7:09:01 PM

So does no one have any ideas or is my post just being ignored by the 40+ people who viewed it so far???

Someone please lend some helpful info!
This monster of a computer is sitting here looking at me, but I can't use it!!!
AHHH!!!
June 4, 2007 7:34:54 PM

Some quick searching on Microsoft's site revealed the fact that your error generally is associated with memory/HDD issues (which makes sense given the error message). Since you already tried different RAM/HDD you have that covered. I'd say that RMAing your mobo (which you are obviously doing now) is your best bet, so why not wait until you get that to post again and let us know if it worked? It's not like you can do any testing in the meantime anyway. :D 
Related resources
June 4, 2007 8:31:40 PM

make sure the ram has the correct voltage in bios before trying to install windows.

most bioses just default to 1.8v when infact a lot of modern high performance DDR2 needs between 1.9 and 2.2v

i had to up mine to 2.1v

make sure this is correct first then you can rule it out as a possible cause
June 4, 2007 9:14:07 PM

Had this error not too long ago.

It was the memory since I let the mobo set to auto, had to set everything manually in the bios for the memory and problem solved!
June 4, 2007 9:47:49 PM

Quote:
geez. that's an expensive rig

Phhht! Don't make me laugh...
June 5, 2007 12:14:03 AM

Quote:
geez. that's an expensive rig

Phhht! Don't make me laugh...
Coming to flex your eNuts instead of offering useful advice I see? :lol: 
June 5, 2007 3:19:43 AM

haha..Thanks for the eNut-flexing, but it doesn't really help much.

I_Love_Tacos,
What would you gripe at? I'm curious.
Yes, I can't get through the Windows installation without getting the BSOD. I also tried installing Vista for the hell of it, but same problem.
Why would you think it's the psu?

I tried setting the voltage on the RAM to the proper 2.2, but still had the same problem... same problem with the other, different set of RAM I tried also.
I'm really hoping it's the motherboard.
I should have the new one in this week sometime.

If the new mobo doesn't help, then I'll really be stumped... and then I'll probably try to get new RAM just because I'd have no other idea what else to do.
But I do know that people out there are using THIS mobo, with THIS ram, with THIS processor, with THIS graphics card, etc, and it's working fine for them.
WHY ME?! WHY ME, GOD?!
June 5, 2007 3:24:19 AM

Well it really does sound like you know you stuff and did the proper TS steps. Only other thing would maybe be PSU giving improper voltage or some BS like that? Your PSU is one of the few components you have not swapped, correct?
June 5, 2007 8:44:15 AM

Quote:
Your PSU is one of the few components you have not swapped, correct?

Correct. I didn't swap the PSU, motherboard, processor, or dvd drive. I did try adjusting the voltage for the RAM, though.

The company I ordered my stuff from somehow sent me two of the processors.. believe it or not. I still don't.
I'm really not too technically inclined when it comes to computer hardware, but is it even possible that the processor could be at fault? ..given the "symptoms"?
If the new motherboard doesn't fix the problem :? , should I try the other processor? I really didn't want to open the package in case I decide to sell it.

Any further help/ideas will be appreciated.
ThankS!
June 5, 2007 10:15:41 AM

Well the PSU Seems like the obvious culprit here as u have already increased ur ram voltage...
June 5, 2007 9:57:55 PM

Quote:
Well the PSU Seems like the obvious culprit here as u have already increased ur ram voltage...

What makes you say that? No offense, but with only 7 posts, can you opinion be taken that seriously? ;) 
When I researched the BSOD error codes that I was getting, most places said it was either RAM or the video card... seeing that I tried different RAM and a different video card, I eliminated those are possibilities.

Hopefully the new motherboard will do the trick.

Why do you think it is the PSU??
June 5, 2007 10:21:26 PM

Quote:
What makes you say that? No offense, but with only 7 posts, can you opinion be taken that seriously? ;) 

With a Striker Extreme, can your opinion be taken that seriously?
June 5, 2007 10:42:58 PM

Had a similar problem a couple of time, once it was memory, the other time on another build it was a glitchy motherboard. RMA the mobo if you have already done the proper memory troubleshooting. Try different slots, try one stick instead of two and so on. For me, the PSU has never caused this problem.

wes
June 5, 2007 11:26:35 PM

weskurtz,

Thanks for the info. I have RMA'd the board and hope to have the new one this week sometime.

Proof,

No thanks to you for your stupid post. I am looking for help, not your idiotic sarcasm. Go occupy yourself somewhere else.
I know many people are very happy with the Striker Extreme. Just because you don't like it does not mean a god damn thing. Stick your computer and your conceit up your ass.
June 5, 2007 11:29:42 PM

Quote:

post count means nothing at all

I'm sure it doesn't.. but when someone says "the psu is the obvious culprit.. period.. " and doesn't offer any further explanation or ideas, I can't help but wonder. You know what I mean? I'm not one to judge a book by its cover, believe me.
June 5, 2007 11:30:56 PM

The computer may fit in my ass but my conceit definately won't. And as for people being happy with the Striker Extreme, why don't we take a stroll over to Xtreme Systems where you wouldn't last 5 seconds and see how many people would even consider using the Striker Extreme for a paper weight.
June 5, 2007 11:33:16 PM

Proof,

Thanks for the invitation, but I'd rather not. Please stop posting in this thread if you aren't going to offer any help. Thanks.
June 6, 2007 1:33:21 AM

Quote:
Proof,

Thanks for the invitation, but I'd rather not. Please stop posting in this thread if you aren't going to offer any help. Thanks.

Actually, please stop posting completely. The world has enough idiot 16 year olds who view everything as a challenge to their penis.

Come back when you make it through puberty. :D 
June 6, 2007 1:40:52 AM

Well, I wouldn't say that it couldn't be the CPU causing problems, but it doesn't SOUND like a CPU issue. But, then again, since CPUs pretty much affect everything issues with your CPU can manifest themselves in strange ways.

BTW, how much you say you want for that second CPU???? :D  :D  :D 
June 6, 2007 2:09:35 AM

Quote:
The world has enough idiot 16 year olds who view everything as a challenge to their penis.

Why don't you put your mouth to use and suck that e-penis?
June 6, 2007 2:22:59 AM

Quote:
The world has enough idiot 16 year olds who view everything as a challenge to their penis.

Why don't you put your mouth to use and suck that e-penis?
Because I'm not gay. I think it would be more prudent for you to be visiting this website instead of the forumz:

http://www.4therapy.com/consumer/life_topics/article/72...

They can help you. We can't.
June 6, 2007 2:26:12 AM

Okay, that was funny.

You have that bookmarked, don't you?
June 6, 2007 2:28:49 AM

Of all the responses I was expecting that wasn't one of them. :lol: 

No I googled "coming out of the closet" real quick, and my wife actually walked by when I was googling it. Had to alt+tab like a mofo. Hahaha.
June 6, 2007 2:33:19 AM

Hahaha! That would be one awkward situation....
June 6, 2007 3:00:21 AM

Quote:
Hahaha! That would be one awkward situation....

"Oh that??? No baby... SERIOUSLY it's just a joke on my forums!!!! Come on! Don't leave me!!!!" :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
June 6, 2007 3:08:00 AM

dean7,

I am going to wait and see if the new mobo will do the trick before getting rid of the other processor, but how much are you willing to spend? ;) 

I thought about just putting it on eBay and get as much as I can for it.
They are going for 968 on Newegg right now... I don't expect anyone to pay full retail price of course, even though it is brand new and unopened.

If it comes down to it, I might end up trying it out to see if the proc I have in now is bad.. hopefully not.. but I do want to try and keep it unopened for whoever ends up buying it.
June 6, 2007 5:02:13 AM

Just put it on eBay man. I'm too poor to buy jack right now anyway. :D  :D 
June 6, 2007 11:24:21 AM

LOL! No, don't take the computer! How did you even get a lawyer here that fast?!
June 6, 2007 12:42:45 PM

Yea, I'd be fairly surprised if it was a CPU problem, I haven't gotten a DOA CPU since at least the 486/DX2/66 days... Not that it doesn't occassionally happen. I wouldn't completely rule out the PSU. If, god-forbid, this still happens with the new mobo, that'd be the first place I'd look. Good luck.
June 6, 2007 12:45:23 PM

Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see where you had run memtest86 on that memory? I have had those errors in WinXP & Vista. They were related to memory. In fact, upon RMA'ing some memory recently, I started getting those errors again. Several memtests with sticks in different slots narrowed the issue to the 2 new sticks (of 4 in the system) I received via RMA to be bad. Seems more and more its not uncommon to receive new memory that is faulty.
June 8, 2007 3:11:19 PM

Quote:

With a Striker Extreme, can your opinion be taken that seriously?

Well its up to you weather u want to take me seriously, but maybe u havent realized that a striker extreme has higher power demands than other boards just because of the added PCI express lanes...

And there are the possibilitiy that the PSU might have som minor defects.

but neways, i was jus giving an opinion.

Cheers.

(P/S: Ur post was at 1 time at this count to...)
June 8, 2007 7:24:03 PM

Hi

okay.. well, I understand that it has high power requirements.. that is why I went with a 850 watt power supply. The errors I was getting didn't seem like it was due to something regarding the power supply.
The new motherboard is scheduled to be delivered this coming Wednesday...hopefully that will be the first and last RMA I'll have to do.
!