• USB Flash
  • BIOS
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 4, 2007 8:41:10 AM

well i like to know if i can use the usb flash card thinge
to update bios befor i have os install
or use it for raid-0 drivers
or do i still have to get the old 1.4mb flopy for it:) ?

More about : install raid flopy

June 4, 2007 8:45:01 AM

the mbord is
asus p5n32-e sli :) 
and thx for the fast reply:) 
June 4, 2007 11:58:27 AM

Unless you are installing...uhg... Vista, you can not use a USB drive to install any drivers. You must use a floppy.
Related resources
June 4, 2007 1:28:41 PM

Quote:
Unless you are installing...uhg... Vista, you can not use a USB drive to install any drivers. You must use a floppy.

has everyone forgotten the cd rom drive?

use that.

Valis
June 4, 2007 1:29:05 PM

Quote:

has everyone forgotten the cd rom drive?

use that.

Valis
June 4, 2007 1:40:20 PM

You can add the drivers into the XP install disk. There are a number of good guides <--- google. One thing you should watch out for is if the drivers are not M$ certified you will get a warning during the install. If you have a USB Keyboard & Mouse the drivers will not have been loaded yet so neither works.......no way to click on the OK button.
June 4, 2007 2:13:02 PM

I have the P5N32-E SLI and I don't have a floppy drive, I have used my USB flash drive for BIOS updates it's actually quite easy. I assume since you said you don't have a OS installed your going to load the files on it from another computer.

1) on POST press Delete
2) Right arrow to the second from the last tab (I forgot what it's called)
3) Choose to start Asus Ezbios
4) Ezbios will search for the file and when it shows up select it and press enter. Done.

Edit: Make sure after you download the bios you open the file and drag and drop just the BIOS file to you flash drive (there will be a readme and BIOS). The BIOS downloads zipped and your computer won't be able to unzip it if you either download to your USB drive or drag the whole downloaded file.
June 4, 2007 2:19:43 PM

Quote:
.... But the drive needs to be set up like its a bootable floppy.

mplichfamily, how does one go about seting up a flash drive as a floppy?

Is there a utily that does this?
June 4, 2007 2:29:29 PM

Google is your best friend, bootable flash drive. To cdos, you only need to make your flash drive bootable if you intend to use the classic method of flashing (command line) if you use ezbios you just need to put the BIOS file on the drive.
June 4, 2007 2:51:49 PM

As for your original question about RAID drivers with Vista it is very easy because Vista will recognize your flash drive, read this. As for XP I could be wrong but the best way to do it I've found is to slipsteam the XP install disk with the raid drivers, read this. I have slipstreamed a copy of XP for my backup system and it's a great thing to do anyways because you can put all the service packs and hot fixes on there and have them install with the OS.
June 4, 2007 2:59:54 PM

Quote:
As for your original question about RAID drivers with Vista it is very easy because Vista will recognize your flash drive, read this. As for XP I could be wrong but the best way to do it I've found is to slipsteam the XP install disk with the raid drivers, read this. I have slipstreamed a copy of XP for my backup system and it's a great thing to do anyways because you can put all the service packs and hot fixes on there and have them install with the OS.

I use nLite to rip the bloat from XP but I have never succesfully integrated a RAID driver. User error? Probably.
June 4, 2007 3:09:59 PM

I haven't sucessfully integrated the raid drivers but you can put the drivers on the disc and when XP prompts you to install raid drivers you can direct it right to it. I actually have all the drivers for everything on that disk so when I do a clean install it's all in one place. Proof read this.
June 4, 2007 4:33:09 PM

i love AUsch30
:) )
and yes am gona use this pc to load files in to the flash card
thx
June 4, 2007 4:38:02 PM

Glad I could help.
!