Quake III benchmarks with Linux

Last response: in Video Games
June 15, 2004 4:57:01 PM

I am trying to compare my benchmark results to similiar
setups to see how my system is running. Are there any online
datebases that I can look up results? Here is my setup:

Asus K7M
Athlon 700Mhz non-Tbird
128MB RAM
Adaptec AHA2940UW SCSI
MSI Geforce2 MX w/32MB
NVIDIA driver build 5336
Mandrake Official 10.0
KDE3.2
Kernel 2.6.3.7

Quake III 1.32b
Normal 640x480
four.dm_68 avg fps: 55

Any feedback much appreciated. I am very new to using Linux.

Cameron Snyder
June 16, 2004 6:33:56 AM

My system that I run Mandrake 10.0 on is very similar and from a fresh
install no speed configs for vid is 81.5 fps. The biggest diff I see is
that I have 512 ram and a 750mhz athlon.
"Cameron Snyder" <csnyder@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to compare my benchmark results to similiar
> setups to see how my system is running. Are there any online
> datebases that I can look up results? Here is my setup:
>
> Asus K7M
> Athlon 700Mhz non-Tbird
> 128MB RAM
> Adaptec AHA2940UW SCSI
> MSI Geforce2 MX w/32MB
> NVIDIA driver build 5336
> Mandrake Official 10.0
> KDE3.2
> Kernel 2.6.3.7
>
> Quake III 1.32b
> Normal 640x480
> four.dm_68 avg fps: 55
>
> Any feedback much appreciated. I am very new to using Linux.
>
> Cameron Snyder
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 9:35:00 AM

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 02:33:56 +0000, MacK wrote:

> My system that I run Mandrake 10.0 on is very similar and from a fresh
> install no speed configs for vid is 81.5 fps. The biggest diff I see is
> that I have 512 ram and a 750mhz athlon. "Cameron Snyder"
>
> <csnyder@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I am trying to compare my benchmark results to similiar setups to see
>> how my system is running. Are there any online datebases that I can
>> look up results? Here is my setup:
>>
>> Asus K7M
>> Athlon 700Mhz non-Tbird
>> 128MB RAM
>> Adaptec AHA2940UW SCSI
>> MSI Geforce2 MX w/32MB
>> NVIDIA driver build 5336
>> Mandrake Official 10.0
>> KDE3.2
>> Kernel 2.6.3.7
>>
>> Quake III 1.32b
>> Normal 640x480
>> four.dm_68 avg fps: 55
>>
>> Any feedback much appreciated. I am very new to using Linux.

Something looks wrong, you should be getting upwards of 80+fps at
1024x768. At 640x480, it should be over 100fps. You may need to do
hunkmeg tweaks, if you can hear the hard drive grinding consistently
during the demo, and making it appear to slow down. You should run a
timedemo multiple times in a row to make sure it is stable.

I assume that 1024x768 is also the resolution the 'top poster' gets his
score at - I haven't played at anything below 1024x768 since getting
voodoo2 sli...

Your framerates should match or slightly beat those from MICROS~1 users. I
recommend you set your X desktop to 16 bit colors if you have it set to 32
bit in XF86Config. I think the chicken choker d00d in here recommended
that to me, and it nearly doubled my framerates...

--
We HAVE been at war with Iraq for 14 years now, bombing their
country on at least a weekly basis.

I did a complete reinstall of Linux. My benchmarks are now closer
to what MacK states he gets.

Normal: 82fps
High Quality: 59fps

I failed to mention that I also have a SBLive Platinium (non-5.1) soundcard.
I did benchmark with sound on.

What are hunkmeg tweaks? I am not familiar with this. I am also looking
for a tool to benchmark my harddrive.

Thanks for the feedback!

C Snyder
Anonymous