Sign in with
Your question

wired and wireless networking

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 4, 2008 2:02:54 PM

Ok so heres the thing I have a wireless car in my desktop to connect to a network however the signal I have isn't very strong so my wifes laptop that has built in wireless cannot access that network. so here is my question if I were to buy a router(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) would I be able to share that internet connection with her? Is it possible to connect wirelessly and wired @ the same time? also I want to be able to share some files with her pc and my printers that I have too, is that possible doing this.

I am new to networking so please be patient with me.
February 4, 2008 10:11:16 PM

In order to connect 2 or more computers you'll need a router, just a wireless card won't do. (OK there are other ways but the easiest is a router). You can hardwire a computer to a wireless router, in fact you usually have to hardwire one computer. With the router your wife and connect to the Net, share a printer, and share files between computers. Suggest you follow the directions for installation to the letter and turn all other computers off until you get the one that is hardwired up and running. Not sure about that Trendnet but my ZyXEL x-550 will tell you what every setting does and what the difference is between different settings.
February 5, 2008 11:50:47 AM

I am ordering the router this week but the main issue is that a friend is letting me access his internet thru his wireless network but the signal isn't very strong so my wifes laptop with built in wifi can't pull it in. I have a high gain antenna to obtain his signal and want to share that with my wife will this still work.
Related resources
February 5, 2008 2:53:02 PM

montec said:
I am ordering the router this week but the main issue is that a friend is letting me access his internet thru his wireless network but the signal isn't very strong so my wifes laptop with built in wifi can't pull it in. I have a high gain antenna to obtain his signal and want to share that with my wife will this still work.

If your wife's laptop is in the same apartment/house as the router, should not be a problem. If your neighbor lives in a different apartment/house, the problem is likely their router is too far away and/or barriers, e.g., thick walls. If your neighbor has security in enabled, you'll have to change it. Once you set up your router, start up your wife's machine and run the Wireless Connection Wizard and should take care of it. Post if you run into any problems
February 5, 2008 3:58:51 PM

I am spliting internet with a friend accross the street and he has his set at max. but since I can get the signal with a high gain antenna and if I connect to my router thru my pc can I share that connection???? is that possible???

please be patient with me as I don't usually do networking

but let me try to be as clear as possible.

I am connected to a wireless network not my own but a friends and that signal isn't very strong and I am setting up a network inhouse now so that my wife can access my printers with her new laptop and I can access my new pc dvr i am building wirelessly but since I have that internet connection that isn't that strong can I share that??

its kinda like me being connected to dial up with my pc and sharing that connection with other computers on my network. does this sound right. however I am not on dial up and thank whoever you chose for dsl or cable.
February 5, 2008 6:31:17 PM

You could connect to your neighbors network but I believe you'd have to Bridge it with your router, which I've never done. In other words, if you want to use his cable connection, you'd be having your router relay the signal from his router. There are a number of issues starting with signal strength, most routers are not designed to really go that distance through house walls but with the high gain antenna attached to the router, it could work but again you're setting up a bridge. Below are links to Bridges and some of these are also wireless routers but again I've never bridged so this is as much as I can tell you about that. But there are also other issues, especially security. Given you're on the same network and you set up file and print sharing, your neighbor could have access to any folder/files you're sharing. There are ways to secure files but you'd definitely have to do your homework. Also, if you're sharing the network across the street, probably easier for hackers to get in. People do drive a round looking for vulnerable networks to hack. Finally, this will be a lot more complex than just setting up a home network, especially if you want to share files on your wife's machine securely. Again, it's not that it can't be done but I'd suggest you start googling this and do some research. Unless you have to connect to your neighbor's network, e.g., an Internet connection, I'd suggest you just set up your own network. Be a lot easier starting out

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategor...
!