3dsmax benchmark using Core 2 or Quad required

splanton

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I am looking for anyone who might be able to shed some light on my upgrade path from Xeon.

I am currently running an ASUS PC-DL Deluxe MB with two 3.2Ghz/1Mb/533 processors on it. I have 2Gb of Ram split across 4 slots (4x512)

I do a lot of 3d animation and photorealistic rendering. So I use 100% CPU most of the time with a nominal amount of memory usage.

I really need an indication of how much faster the Core 2 duo and quad solutions from intel are.

If someone could give me a benchmark 3dsmax render time from one of the tutorial scenes in max 6,7 or 8 that would be ideal. That way I can see for myself the percentage increase/£ and decide whether an upgrade is worth it right now.

There was a test on this site (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2007/03/26/the_gigahertz_battle_uk/page12.html#benchmarks_and_settings) using the 'Dragon_Charater_rig' scene from Max 8, unfortunatly I cannot find the scene they are referring to in the Max 8 tutorials.

splanton

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Tank you for the reply, especially the interesting and informative reference to 'google'. However none of the articles I have found on the web (including those posted above) regarding benchmarks for processors have any indication of the files they used for the tests.
I need to test a selection of the Xeon processors we have here against the core duo and quad offerings from Intel. No test I have found so far is any use to me as they are all comparing P4's and AMD's etc.

I need to sensibly answer my bosses question 'so how much faster is this upgrade going to be and how much will it cost?' with facts and figures so that he can make an informed decision about upgrading.

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
The difference between old P4's and Xeons will be minute compared to how much a core2q will slaughter what you currently have.

I think this review shows you everything you need to know...
http://www.techspot.com/review/36-intel-core2-quad-q6600/page6.html

That P4 950 is probably faster than your xeon, there's no point arguing about whether it is or not anyway. It's certainly not going to get near where the Core2's are. The quad will work 3 times faster than what you have.

If you are feeling really adventurous, find a workstation mobo and stick 2 of the lowest frequency xeons into it. Will probably cost the same as a QX6700 53xx series equivilent and you'll have 8 cores. Super render speed :D

Or Q6600 in July. OC to 3.2ghz.

mobo57

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
Hey splanton, I've got C2D's and X2's and am running max 9. PM me and I'll see if we can put a bench together. I can't find that bench either.

I really need an indication of how much faster the Core 2 duo and quad solutions from intel are.

If someone could give me a benchmark 3dsmax render time from one of the tutorial scenes in max 6,7 or 8 that would be ideal. That way I can see for myself the percentage increase/£ and decide whether an upgrade is worth it right now.

Fergit the benchmarks . . .

If you want to be a hero to your boss show him How to set up a basic render farm, price some dual Gigabit lan cards and a couple managed Gigabit lan switches. Draw him a pretty picture of the render farm and explain to him how you will put all that idle office cpu power to work . . . .

Then maybe he'll give you a raise :D

splanton

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Still need the benchmarks I'm afraid, were all farmed up here already. We've been at this game for a little while now. :wink:

Scooby2

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
At a conservative guestimate you will be looking at a performance increase of +50% for each core on a system running at the same cpu speed.

dual core2 vs dual p4 +50%
quad core2 vs dual p4 +300%

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Still need the benchmarks I'm afraid, were all farmed up here already. We've been at this game for a little while now. :wink:

I have Max9 with the setup listed in my signature below. Just let me know what Tutorial scene you want rendered and any particular settings or renderer and I will give you the stats. It may not be apples to apples but coming from Max8 they are very similar so I the results should be comparable.

Until recently I had Max6, 7 and 8 installed but consolidated my maps, scenes and matlibs into 9 and blew away the rest.