top of the line plasma TVs in 42" recommendations needed

Hi All,

I'm looking at several highly rated 42" plasma TVs. Focused on NEC 42XR3
(or XM3), Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY, SONY PFM-42X1. The specs look very
similar. Actually one of the one-line sources indicated that NEC is the
actual maker of the plasma screens for other brands. I would appreciate
feedback/recommendations to help me make the final choice. There is also
the retail piece by Panasonic TH--42PX25U/P. I do not know if this is the
same plasma as the commercial version below, just with the speakers, stand
and tuners. Any winners in this list?

Many thanks,

roman
5 answers Last reply
More about line plasma recommendations needed

    romanigo wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm looking at several highly rated 42" plasma TVs. Focused on NEC 42XR3
    > (or XM3), Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY, SONY PFM-42X1. The specs look very
    > similar. Actually one of the one-line sources indicated that NEC is the
    > actual maker of the plasma screens for other brands. I would appreciate
    > feedback/recommendations to help me make the final choice. There is also
    > the retail piece by Panasonic TH--42PX25U/P. I do not know if this is the
    > same plasma as the commercial version below, just with the speakers, stand
    > and tuners. Any winners in this list?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > roman

    The consumer Panasonic TH-42PX25U uses 6th generation glass. The PX25s
    were a mid-year upgrade to the PX20 models, originally released in the
    fall of 2003, which added an ATSC tuner and cablecard slot. The
    commercial Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY is a newer model, released in Sept/Oct
    2004, which uses 7th generation glass. The major benefits to the 7th
    generation glass is greater resistance to burn-in, lower power
    consumption, 10% increase in max brightness, and more dynamic range for
    image scaling in dark scenes.

    I have the Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY which does provide stunning pictures
    for HD and DVD material. The major differences between the commercial
    and the consumer models, besides the bulky design of the Viera consumer
    line, are the commercials offer a limited set of connectors: 1
    component, 1 S-Video, 1 VGA, and 1 HDMI if you get the optional HDMI
    blade. The commercial also comes with speaker connectors in the back if
    you want to go simple stereo. The consumer model offers ASTC tuner,
    cablecard, built-in speakers, closed captioning, more S-Video and
    component connectors.

    The Panasonic are generally regarded as the best plasmas to buy
    because they have the best black levels in the industry which makes for
    a much better picture for movies; black levels are not as critical for
    watching well light sport events, for example. Of your list, I would
    consider only the NEC as highly rated. The only Sony plasmas I would
    seriously consider are the newer XS955 models which came out last fall.

    If you can wait and want to get the consumer model, the next
    generation consumer HD Panasonic plasmas will be released in April. The
    reported list price for the TH-42PX50U (or PX500U) will be $4500 ($1000
    drop) and the TH-50PX50U (or PX500U) will be $5500 USD ($1500 drop). See
    the press release titled Panasonic Lead in HD Plasma at
    http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PressroomHome?storeId=11301&catalogId=13251&catGroupId=30531

    for some limited info. Panasonic also offers a high end consumer line,
    the Onyx, sold at Tweeters and the like, which was introduced in October
    2004 which uses 7th gen glass.

    Hope this helps. I think this qualifies as a info dump...
    Alan F

    I just bought the Panasonic TH42PX25UP for $3999 from a pretty reputable
    company that many people have heard of called TigerDirect. Plus about $100
    shipping and shipping insurance. My key reasons were -

    - best-looking overall picture for the money
    - very cool-looking curved silver bezel
    - built-in atsc/ntsc tuner, cablecard, hdmi, high contrast

    I spoke on the phone with many Brooklyn-based "wholesalers" who claimed
    lower prices, but when they added in shipping and shipping insurance I
    didn't get a warm fuzzy about the deal. Besides I don't want to get
    involved with that non-authorized-dealer nonsense.

    "romanigo" <romanigo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm looking at several highly rated 42" plasma TVs. Focused on NEC 42XR3
    > (or XM3), Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY, SONY PFM-42X1. The specs look very
    > similar. Actually one of the one-line sources indicated that NEC is the
    > actual maker of the plasma screens for other brands. I would appreciate
    > feedback/recommendations to help me make the final choice. There is also
    > the retail piece by Panasonic TH--42PX25U/P. I do not know if this is the
    > same plasma as the commercial version below, just with the speakers, stand
    > and tuners. Any winners in this list?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > roman

    email wachs eight four at yahoo dot com (but don't spell out the numbers)

    "Alan Figgatt" <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > The consumer Panasonic TH-42PX25U uses 6th generation glass. The PX25s
    > were a mid-year upgrade to the PX20 models, originally released in the
    > fall of 2003, which added an ATSC tuner and cablecard slot. The
    > commercial Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY is a newer model, released in Sept/Oct
    > 2004, which uses 7th generation glass. The major benefits to the 7th
    > generation glass is greater resistance to burn-in, lower power
    > consumption, 10% increase in max brightness, and more dynamic range for
    > image scaling in dark scenes.

    Yes, I had to think long and hard on that one. Especially since the
    professional model TH42PHD7UY costs less than the consumer-model TH42PX25UP,
    for a slightly better picture. It was the slick look of the PX and the added
    speakers & built-in hookups that got me. It's going to be awhile before I
    can afford to buy a seprate 5.1 audio system and in the meanwhile I'll have
    decent sound from the TV.

    - G

    Thank you Alan for a very informative response. Did you consider NEC prior
    to getting you Panasonic and if so, why did you prefer Panasonic? Do you
    rate picture quality of your Panasonic higher than NEC? What other choices
    you've been looking at that I did not list? NEC is offereing now 3 year
    warranty - quite an attractive add-on.

    Thanks a lot,

    Roman

> [...]
    > consider only the NEC as highly rated. The only Sony plasmas I would
    > seriously consider are the newer XS955 models which came out last fall.
    >
    > If you can wait and want to get the consumer model, the next
    > generation consumer HD Panasonic plasmas will be released in April. The
    > reported list price for the TH-42PX50U (or PX500U) will be $4500 ($1000
    > drop) and the TH-50PX50U (or PX500U) will be $5500 USD ($1500 drop). See
    > the press release titled Panasonic Lead in HD Plasma at
    > http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PressroomHome?storeId=11301&catalogId=13251&catGroupId=30531
    > for some limited info. Panasonic also offers a high end consumer line,
    > the Onyx, sold at Tweeters and the like, which was introduced in October
    > 2004 which uses 7th gen glass.
    >
    > Hope this helps. I think this qualifies as a info dump...

    Roman, I did not have the opportunity to compare the NEC. They are
    mainly commercial panels and are not widely available at local B&M
    (Brick & Mortar) shops. I spent the better part of a year window
    shopping and researching on-line before narrowing my list the consumer
    Panny 37PD25 ED with the idea of getting it on sale under $2K for use as
    my main TV for only 2 years & then upgrade, the consumer Pioneer 4340,
    and the commercial Panny 7UYs. I ended up getting the commercial
    TH-42PHD7UY online from Visual Apex as I already had a Yahama A/V
    receiver for the sound (including 5.1) and to switch between the DVD and
    Comcast set top box. Of course, the Visual Apex price with table stand
    for the 42PHD7UY has already dropped by around $200 since I got mine. :-).

    Deciding on and setting up an HD TV is not a simple task right now. It
    used to be a choice between brands of CRT and how to get stereo sound.
    Now you need to run the digital audio for 5.1 sound, component or
    DVI/HDMI for HD signals, and figure out what connections and TV settings
    work best. Then we get into ATSC and how to get HD channels - lot of
    stuff to learn to make sure it is done right. But the improvement in
    picture quality for DVDs in watching movies alone on my 42" Panny makes
    the upgrade worth it to me.

    One reason you don't see that much discussion here on plasmas and the
    like is that a lot of people gravitate to www.avsforum.com and the
    plasma/LCD forum. The forums there on local reception and HDTV
    programing have also been invaluable. Their plasma/LCD forum is often
    close to becoming the Panasonic cheering forum, but the Panasonic have
    the best black level going for plasmas which why the home theater
    enthusiasts go for them. Check out the Panasonic FAQ in the sticky list
    for info: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=40.

    I don't know if I quite answered your questions, but I got to run and
    watch the football playoffs in glorious HD (and crank the heat up
    because these games are going to make one feel cold watching them in HD).

    Alan F

HDTV Panasonic Home Theatre