Clone Win7 Boot Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ee_engineer

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Hi,

I have a hitachi 2tb 5400rpm drive, with my OS installed on a 500GB partition (100gb free). I just got a 1tb samsung spinpoint f3 which i want to use as my boot drive.

I have tried 3 methods:

1. Downloaded clonezilla, and used tuxboot to create a bootable flashdrive with clonezilla. I used the i686 image of clonezilla. I made a partition on the samsung drive which is 10GB larger than the boot partition on the hitachi.

2. I used the windows utility to make a back-up image of my bootdrive. I then made a bootable copy of windows 7 live install on a flash drive. Booted off it and tried to restore from that system image. I got an error:
The system image restore failed. Error: Error details: The parameter is incorrect.(0x80070057)

3. Same as method 2, but I used a CD instead. This time, i got this error:
System image restore to new drive fails. 0x80042414

Method 1 seemed to work, but For some reason, when i started up again, even though windows partition manager showed the partition as 537GB, windows explorer showed the size as 527GB, which is the same size as the original boot partition. Also, i could not boot off from it, even though it seemed to have the exact same files and size as the old hard drive.

for method 2 and 3, I tried both formatting the new partition as a new simple volume and leaving it unallocated. Neither method worked.

for all the methods, when i formatted the disk for the new boot partition, the drive letter was NEVER C: . I do not know if that makes a difference

So i am now totally stuck and do not know what to do at all. Can anyone help me, please!!

Solution
Make sure the HD is big enough so that the new HD partition for the system you will make, is bigger than the orignal c: partition.

Download, XXCLONE PACKAGE.. search internet for that, (many thanks to those if still alive..) Bulls..t with Acroni...too..

Run XXCLONE .. ( the free version even is sufficient..)
make the copy and follow the instruction carefully. 2 steps needed. Coping and MSB part of it.

Have your Win 7 install cd.

and boot from that. Then repair the HD you prepared. The MBR that XCLONE made is for old systems but windows 7 somehow repairs that and New hard disk awakes into your last windows stage.. that is it after 4 days of struggle straight (no sleep)...

MS people has no place in heaven, believe...

jimmy_61

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Make sure the HD is big enough so that the new HD partition for the system you will make, is bigger than the orignal c: partition.

Download, XXCLONE PACKAGE.. search internet for that, (many thanks to those if still alive..) Bulls..t with Acroni...too..

Run XXCLONE .. ( the free version even is sufficient..)
make the copy and follow the instruction carefully. 2 steps needed. Coping and MSB part of it.

Have your Win 7 install cd.

and boot from that. Then repair the HD you prepared. The MBR that XCLONE made is for old systems but windows 7 somehow repairs that and New hard disk awakes into your last windows stage.. that is it after 4 days of struggle straight (no sleep)...

MS people has no place in heaven, believe me...(0*880042414 no hd found bullsh...)

and your are not alone..

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.