Last response: in Graphics & Displays

Dual Display or 24 inch Monitor

Total: 21 votes

• 24 inch Monitor
  • 86 %
  • Dual Display
  • 15 %
June 4, 2007 3:05:17 PM

Which would be better? Having a 24" monitor or dual monitor setup? If dual monitor setup, what would be equivalent to having a 24" monitor. I use a 24" at work since my desk space is limited. At my other office, I had 2 19" monitors but the nvidia driver in my Dell Precision M90 caused BSOD from time to time.

This dual display or 24" monitor will be for home use (gaming, internet, office, etc.) As of now, I have a Samsung 19" WS 940BW which is nice, but kind of small.

I'd also like a monitor that is HDCP compliant. Luckily, my Samsung 940BW is HDCP is compliant, but it's hard to find these monitors. The only place I can really find them where I'd be comfortable buying from is Dell.

Any suggestions?

More about : dual display

June 4, 2007 4:17:13 PM

Heh, I do a little of both... however, I think I game a little more than office/internet/etc. The other issue is that I've read that some 24" monitors don't scale down very well (as in natively, they're 1920x1200. I game around 1280x800). My 7900GS is capable of 1920x1200 for desktop applications... however for gaming, I know it'll die if I try to game higher than 1440x900 (current native resolution for my monitor). I mean, even at 1280x800, it isn't too strong (then again, that's partially due to drivers for Vista).

My other gripe is with dual display, it's easy to have two documents open side by side. On a single large display, I've found the trick to tile two windows vertically (regardless that you have, say, 10 windows open). However, the trick does not always work.

*sighs* If I could afford it, I'd just go with dual 24" monitors and crossfire (since my motherboard is a 975X chipset... else, I'd go SLI. But I don't think they have "hacked" SLI drivers for Vista).
June 4, 2007 8:30:02 PM

That's not entirely true. My current widescreen monitor has no problem handling 1280x800 or 1280x720 ( for my XBOX 360 ).

I just know that the larger displays have some issues.
Related resources
June 4, 2007 9:08:31 PM

if you dont run at native it doesnt look as good. I would say dual monitors is better for you because of your video card.
June 4, 2007 9:22:27 PM

native is always best. however, there is always the 1:1 option. even though the native is 1920x1200, you could game at something lower, such as 1680x1050 or 1440x900 and still have a sharp, clear picture is you use the 1:1 pixle option available either through the monitor (if it has it like the dell) or via nvidia control panel (not sure about catalyst). that way you can enjoy best resolution your card can handle for each game independently. you will have black bars all around if use less than native but should be same size as if had the smaller monitor.
June 4, 2007 9:50:42 PM

WEll
really you have to take into account what the native resolution of the 24" screen is, and the fps your card runs your game at the current resolution. If it currently borders 35-40, then you might have to upgrade video card in order to not lose GFX quality. So Really, i suggest 24" if your card cand handle gaming at that resolution (the native 24" is 192.1200, which is VERY high res) im just mentioning this cuz my big brother moved over to 24" LCD (Dell) and had to lower his GFX settings. The 7900GS should run games from the year before last, early last year games at full gfx; but late last year and recent titles might not. Oblivion is an exception to said statement, it will not run smooth at full GFX on that screen. Really, if you are a hardcore gamer and you want great FPS and GFX and the 24", you will really only find peace in the x1900xt - x1950XTX(any card in that range except the GT and PRO models), 7900GT, or GTX; or top of the line DX10 cards.

However if you dont care as much bout gfx then you prolly have a good enough fillrate with that card to manage that resolution.

So as far as gaming is concerned, 2 19 or 20.1s will not need a hardware upgrade to run recent games at decent FPS and GFX.

EDIT: Forget bout it, i just calculated RAW fillrate and that card just cant handle a playable framerate (@ 1920x1200) and load geometries/process textures fast enough at the same time

Im sticking with CRTs and their amazing native scalabilty till mainstream can keep a decent FPS at 1600x1200.

*by fillrate i mean the number of pixels the card can render per second.
June 4, 2007 10:17:28 PM

With your card, I'd suggest getting a single 24". Your card will have much more work to do with dual displays, and I'd only get two displays if I had a 512MB card or more. Your card just doesn't have the horsepower to drive dual displays and play a game at high settings on one of them.
June 5, 2007 4:09:29 AM

Well, I will eventually upgrade to a newer "enthusiast" card when I feel the time is ready. As of now, I don't feel to comfortable buying a 1st gen DX10 card seeing as they've been out for a few months and the drivers are still being optimized. I was thinking perhaps just getting another Samsung, but they're kind of small, yet, they have most features I need. Some additional features I'd like though would be being able to hook up my game consoles to them as well since my g/f likes to come over and take over my TV from time to time.

Anyone else have any ideas? If I were to get a 24", I guarantee I wouldn't play any game higher than 1280x800 :tongue:

And like I said, if I get a 24" and my card is strugglying when coming to gaming at 1280x800, then I'll get a new card.

A guy at work got a Dell Dimensions 9200 with a nVidia 7900GS and he's running two Dell 24" monitors right now without problems. Then again, it's not like he's really doing anything that would put a heavy load on the graphics. *shudders*

Oh, and to one of the other posters, I had an ATI X1900XT 512 GDDR3 until I broke it when trying to remove the Accelero X2. :cry: 
a b C Monitor
June 5, 2007 7:43:40 AM

I've just upgraded from 2x19" (1 tft and one CRT) to a gateway 24" and my old 19".

my 7900GTO runs obvilion ok, and with the second monitor I can have rivatuner sitting in background doing temp monitoring (can't be done with only 1 monitor even at none native res).

However, I'm thinking of taking it back, as it may actually be too big, but it also gives off a lot of heat, the surface is warm to the touch, and with that much surface it feels wrong, especially in summer (winter might be nice though).

I might try a 22" and my old 19".

Also some games (very few admittedly) support dual monitors, and allow a more functional view, I'm thinking X2 (and X3?), i.e. you can have the gunport views on the second screen instead of taking up space on the main screen.
June 5, 2007 11:57:10 AM

What would be equivalent to a 24" monitor if I just go dual monitors?

Also, has anyone ever tried using two video cards in their computer seperately?

Let's say I theoretically get an nVidia 8800 and keep the the 7900GS. I put the 7900GS in the second slot and put the 8800 in the primary slot. I connect the secondary display to the 7900 and the primary to the 8800. Would that work? I don't want SLI nor can I run it since I have the 975X chipset.

My ex g/f's dad use to have a VGA and a PCI card, both outputting to a different single monitor. Just wondering if you could do the same here, except with PCI Express.
June 5, 2007 12:41:21 PM

I got a Dell 2407WFP a couple of months ago. It's awesome - 24" of widescreen goodness, HDCP complient and looks real pretty ;) 

Are you considering 2 x 4:3 aspect monitors for dual setup? If so I think you'll have more difficulty in finding HDCP complient ones.

A 16:10 aspect widescreen 24" (like mine :p ) running at 1920x1200 is great for games, films etc. And if you are concered about HDCP, surely that means you want to be able to watch HD films on it in the future? Again, surely a single 24" would be better for that than 2x smaller 4:3 (i.e. 1024x768 or 1600x1200) or 5:4 (i.e. 1280x1024) monitors... And running at a non-native resolution doesn't look so terrible; I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

I don't see any reason why you can't do that with the 7900GS and 8800. Though I'd get confirmation from someone who does it already just to be sure.

Finally - upgradability. In the future if you still feel you don't have the desktop real estate with a single 24", then maybe you could buy another further down the line? You won't have the option to improve gaming/film performace with smaller monitors. Just a thought :) 

Improved grammar...
June 5, 2007 2:01:09 PM

mpilchfamily: My concern is the fact that, and correct me if I'm wrong, PCI Express x 16 is recognized as a graphics slot. I'm not sure how the 975X chipsets are set up. I'm afraid that if I have two nVidia cards (seeing as people have had issues running an ATI and nVidia card at the same time due to drivers), that my motherboard/bios/OS will think I'm trying to run a dual card setup as one ("dual core GPU") and fuss over which one to use instead of allowing me to use both of them individually.

Does that make any sense?

Kodiak666: I have the Dell 2407WFP at work and love it!!! However, I've read extensive reviews on the Dell that it's not a truly HDCP compliant. Also, the 24" Gateway can handle 1080p, which I don't know if the Dell can. However, that brings up another issue... or two. In the near future, I'd like to be able to play my XBOX 360 (and perhaps a PS3 if they ever come down in price and come out with more of a selection) at 1080p. Sadly, my 32" LCD TV I got for Christmas (was the biggest one I could get to fit on my shelves :( ) only goes up to 1080i. (And please, I do not wish to debate about output signals and which is better!) But yea. I like the Gateway, but I've also read that if you scale down the resolution, it looks horrible. At work, I can't even get my Dell monitor to scale down to 1440x900 and I'm using an AGP 8x nVidia Quadro FX 3000 w/256 VRAM.

Right now, I'm not sure which is the better choice :( 
June 5, 2007 2:31:29 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I'll read the article when I get a chance.

Anyone else having anything they'd like to add :) 
June 5, 2007 3:26:27 PM

Quote:
With your card, I'd suggest getting a single 24". Your card will have much more work to do with dual displays, and I'd only get two displays if I had a 512MB card or more. Your card just doesn't have the horsepower to drive dual displays and play a game at high settings on one of them.

That is soo bullcrap.

To render a desktop and an application is no problem.
My setup at home on my game machine is a gateway 22in wide, and a samsung 19in.

On a 6800 I was able to play at full res of the 22in and multi-task on the 19in.
On the 9800, I had 2 CRT 19in montiors at 1600x1200 which ran games and office apps fine.

on the matrox 450 I played games that utilized both monitors, such as ST Armada.
June 5, 2007 3:52:23 PM

I'd agree with most of the others:

1. If you will be gaming most of the time - 24" all the way. I find the 16:9 is much better for playing games than standard. Think it has something to do with how your eyes scan...

2. If you're using for work - dual screens are preferable, particularly for Excel and Access and Office in general. I can't even look at an Excel file anymore unless I have two screens, especially if you use VBA... way to clausterphobic.

I'd probably have dual 24" screens at home if RDP supported it, but it doesn't, so I have a single 24".
June 5, 2007 3:53:38 PM

well if he turns one off during gameplay then i believe itd run quite a bit better...
June 5, 2007 4:13:50 PM

First off, I currently own a Sony 23" monitor (same res as Dell 2407 but finer dot pitch). I have also used 19" dual-monitor solutions, so I think I have some perspective on this debate.

I really like dual-monitor solutions for doing dev work, office stuff, internet, etc. The problem with a widescreen monitor is that if you're surfing the web no web site will ever scale that wide (and if it does it looks messed up) and keeping two windows side by side is a pain. So, you will usually end up just not using most of the space. It's sometimes nice to keep a messenger window open next to your web browser with a widescreen monitor, but on a dual-monitor setup this is way way way easier.

That's not to say that I don't love my widescreen monitor. It's built for professional photo editing, so the color reproduction is just flat amazing. If you own a digital camera and want to be able to look at photos on a large screen that's something you should consider (important for some people, not for others). The gaming experience on it is also amazing if you can run at native resolution. Of course, the only game I can run smoothly at 1920x1200 is Far Cry. :D 

By the way, scaling on my widescreen blows away scaling on other monitors I've seen (I believe it's because the dot pitch on my monitor is so fine). Another thing people don't ever mention is that you can always run at 1600x1200 (which is doable with most games on a 7900gs if you crank eye candy down) and your monitor will run in 4:3 mode with black bars on left and right (mine does at least... I can also set it to "stretch" the image to widescreen).

Anyway, after looking at images, watching HD content (which looks amazing running in it's native resolution of 1920x1080), and just growing accustomed to my widescreen monitor I never want to go back. The only thing that I'm considering (which you might want to as well) is just stacking on a 19" LCD or 2 for misc. apps that I want to run on the side (messenger, researching on the web while using visual studio on main monitor, etc.).

I hope this info helps you!
a b C Monitor
June 5, 2007 4:22:00 PM

Quote:
Also, the 24" Gateway can handle 1080p, which I don't know if the Dell can.

Not sure if the gateway can handle 1080P, according to the instruction manual it cannot.... I also understand that the dell won't 'allow' 1:1 scaling, i.e. blackbars all round if a lower res is selected?

I am most annoyed about this as I naturally wanted 1080p.

On a second note does anyone know of a test that I can perform to see if I am getting 1080p?
June 5, 2007 4:34:08 PM

Quote:
Also, the 24" Gateway can handle 1080p, which I don't know if the Dell can.

Not sure if the gateway can handle 1080P, according to the instruction manual it cannot.... I also understand that the dell won't 'allow' 1:1 scaling, i.e. blackbars all round if a lower res is selected?

I am most annoyed about this as I naturally wanted 1080p.

On a second note does anyone know of a test that I can perform to see if I am getting 1080p?
Doesn't your monitor have an info screen that displays what res you are running at? What's the source you're trying to figure out is 1080P or not?
June 5, 2007 4:35:14 PM

Uh, last time I checked, WS LCD monitors are 16:10. Also, I played around some on the Dell 24" at work and found out how to do the 1:1. My only gripe is, I still couldn't select 1280x800 or 1440x900. I might do what mpilchfamily was saying. Just getting two cards and letting the 7900GS do the secondary display and get a 8800 or something to do the primary display for the 24". But once again, I still would prefer to game at 1280x800 or 1440x900. Yes, the 8800 probably could handle the native resolution, but it will also kill my FPS... especially in Vista.

Another thing I'm wondering is, does anyone know how well Linux deals with widescreen monitors... particularly ones that do 1920x1200.

I love my Samsung 940BW, but I just wish it had more inputs on it :( 

Dell is the only place that has one and that I feel comfortable purchasing from. I'd hate to have to get dual monitors and have them of different size and res.

Sorry for being so picky :oops: 
a b C Monitor
June 5, 2007 4:37:17 PM

I know that I am definately running at 1920 x 1080...

But having downloaded the 720p and the 1080p alexander demos from microsoft I can see no different at all, even a print screen of the same image leads to no difference being detected, so I'm not sure if it is up or downsizing the image to its own standard.

The one review I could find said yes to 1080p but the manual says no.

Connected through DVI-D
June 5, 2007 4:38:47 PM

Uh, last time I checked, WS LCD monitors are 16:10. Also, I played around some on the Dell 24" at work and found out how to do the 1:1. My only gripe is, I still couldn't select 1280x800 or 1440x900. I might do what mpilchfamily was saying. Just getting two cards and letting the 7900GS do the secondary display and get a 8800 or something to do the primary display for the 24". But once again, I still would prefer to game at 1280x800 or 1440x900. Yes, the 8800 probably could handle the native resolution, but it will also kill my FPS... especially in Vista.

Another thing I'm wondering is, does anyone know how well Linux deals with widescreen monitors... particularly ones that do 1920x1200.

I love my Samsung 940BW, but I just wish it had more inputs on it :( 

Dell is the only place that has one and that I feel comfortable purchasing from. I'd hate to have to get dual monitors and have them of different size and res.

Sorry for being so picky :oops: 
a b C Monitor
June 5, 2007 4:53:16 PM

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-570937.html

http://www.w6rz.net/

I've found (and others probably have too) a set of test images and videos for those that are interested, hasn't answered my own question about p or i, but its a start.

Apologies to the owners who may get their bandwidth hammered now.

The first link is to a forum talking about the test patterns, the second is to the patterns themselves.
June 5, 2007 5:00:47 PM

I am currentlyrunning a 3 monitor system, a dell 24 (wonderful!) a Acer 22"WS, and a old philips 19 5:4.Have a 8800gtx and a 7900gt in a sli board.

My conclusion, if you can afford more 24"s over time, go for the dell. If budget is a concern, get 2 * 22 inch(about the same price).

I love me dell monitor, and planning to get 2 more units over time for surround gaming, + work. but even if i write off over 3 years, 3 dells is still reallyexpensive... :( 

Oh, and you will need this program called Ultramon. for multiple monitors.
June 5, 2007 5:12:17 PM

kinda spoiling yourself eh? haha. Dude... i'd be happy with two 19' wide screen hanss-g monitors, 160 bones a piece either at www.newegg.com and office depot has em on sale till fathers day if you wanna run out and see em... i think it was office depot... anyway, yeah, they matched newegg... which was AMAZING haha.. they're prolly eating it hardcore.... so yeah, dirt cheap and you get 2 monitors... or if you have that kinda money just set up like 4 of em and make all your friends jealous... and me... haha (tv on one, some web pages on another, random pictures of hot half naked grils on the other, and one more for some work app/game) hahah. :-p
June 5, 2007 5:26:10 PM

Do you ask people to help you pick between Boxers or Briefs too? Whats it matter what other people prefer--you gotta stare at the monitor(s). Not the guy replying.
June 5, 2007 5:37:15 PM

Eura - the price diffs between the 22" and the 24" is huge. You can see that I've been looking for a 24" for sometime now (checkout that "deals" post). I've been hesitant, cause you can get the Acer 22" that Anandtech recommends for close to $200, a steal considering that 2" more will cost $400 extra. I think there needs to be a price adjustment before I jump in.

Again, you layout the big bucks, and 2 years down the line they have 35" for $600. You could just keep replacing stuff, for $200 a pop, and get the lastest in the value segment. I dont think one can go wrong. Thats been my plan since I built my rig. Think how long the Dell 24" has been the leader. Its gotta be knocked off its throne in the next year or so.

If money isnt a prob - get the 8800GTS, and run a 24" Dell on it
If it is, get a 22" and run a dual monitor setup off your existing card.
June 5, 2007 5:42:33 PM

Try just one and see how it is. I have a hard time viewing all 22 inches of mine at once. LOL I don't think you'll be disappointed especially if you're going from a CRT or a 17" monitor. :-P
June 5, 2007 5:44:10 PM

Quote:
Do you ask people to help you pick between Boxers or Briefs too? Whats it matter what other people prefer--you gotta stare at the monitor(s). Not the guy replying.

Big difference. He was asking for pros and cons, which is perfectly valid. Just like there are pros and cons to boxers/briefs, there are pros and cons to different LCDs. Thanks for being rude though. *sigh*

@fishy
Yeah, for the same price as a 24" you could buy 3 22" displays. That's definately something to consider. Although I have never used a 3-display setup I've heard from people who have that you tend to mainly use only 2 of the monitors because 3 is just too much real-estate. Take if for what you will. :D 

Anyway, I tend to agree with you that the value segment is where it's at. That's why I own a 7600GT. But, monitors are one of the things I'm willing to spend big bucks on if I want to, because protecting my eyes is important to me. :D 
June 5, 2007 5:49:56 PM

Quote:
What would be equivalent to a 24" monitor if I just go dual monitors?

Well a 24" monitor has a native resolution of 1920x1200, for dual monitors, the equivalent would be two monitors running at 1280x1024 (closest to half the length and height). IMO, you'd be better off with the 24" in both aspects... gaming and office work/applications.

Quote:
Let's say I theoretically get an nVidia 8800 and keep the the 7900GS. I put the 7900GS in the second slot and put the 8800 in the primary slot. I connect the secondary display to the 7900 and the primary to the 8800. Would that work?

Well if you theoretically got a 8800GTX, believe me, that thing is so damn powerful, you would connect both monitors to it simply because it can handle it. Those 8800's are incredibly powerful.

In simulated benchmarking with the 8800GTX Nvidia recommends that it be conducted on a 30" panel at 2560x1600 resolution because with anything less the CPU becomes a performance bottleneck, leaving the GPU to twiddle it's thumbs waiting for work. That's how impressive they are, so you probably wouldn't feel the need to keep the old 7900GS.

However, realistically, if you went with the 24" Dell, I would recommend a 512MB version of the 7800GTX because a friend of mine has the Dell 2405fpw monitor (24" @ 1920x1200) and he has that card I suggested. He's a web designer and he is pretty obsessive about gaming too. He gets decent frame rates playing at the native resolution and can tweak the settings high enough to make the game's he plays visually pleasing.
June 5, 2007 9:51:13 PM

Dude. If you want 1080P get a TV

And even then there is nothing out there that even needs those resolutions. 720P is currently the best bet (pretty much all XBOX and PS3 games are 720P), and as far as HD media playback, you wont even be able to tell the difference (between 720P and 1080P, unless you plan on going over 42-5o inches)
June 6, 2007 3:02:20 PM

Yeah, if you can find an LCD TV with good response time, get it. You can get a much larger TV for a good price than you can get comp monitors, and it's got more uses. Just make sure you sit back far enough from it. I'd recommend getting one big monitor with a good warranty. You can move it more easily than moving two, the power draw might actually be lower, you won't have a split in your screen where the monitors meet (unless you're a fish, which would enable you to put the monitors on both sides of you and still see a single picture :lol: ). Also, I think that you should spend the extra on ensuring your eyes don't get tired and pummeled with radiation so much. Spend extra on the 2-5ms response time monitor if you can (and one with better refresh rates). Your eyes will thank you for it.
June 7, 2007 2:21:10 AM

Quote:
well if he turns one off during gameplay then i believe itd run quite a bit better...

That is an option, but still a pain in the beehind to switch from SLI to single GPU mode every time you want to play a game. I did it a while back with two 19" CRT's and it's just not worth the trouble.

Unless nV or ATI fix their drivers for dual screen/dual GPU :roll: ...been waiting for that for 3 years now.

Also, the dual screen setup the OP is proposing is with two 4:3 monitors. I think most would agree that widescreen provides the better gaming experience.
June 7, 2007 1:48:16 PM

hmm, cant you just turn off the second monitor in the display properties? i dont see why you would need to have the monitors plugged into the slave card. wouldnt it be easier just to plug them both into the same one?

and yeah, it is dual standard screens, and widescreen definitely provides better gaming (ive used my 1080i projector for gaming and that is simply an amazing experience, over 100 inches diagonal :) ).
June 7, 2007 2:02:52 PM

Hey, how about I just take a poll?

C'mon people, vote! :D 

As of now... the Dell 24" is looking pretty tempting... since I finally figured out the whole 1:1 feature it has.

Still wondering if it will do 1080p. Been researching the net and people are complaining that it won't. But I don't see why not since the native resolution is 1920x1200. Then again, widescreen TVs are 16:9, not 16:10.
June 7, 2007 2:24:42 PM

Do a DELL 24 and if you need to upgrade gfx do it, 24" is an amazing experience and you will not be disappointed.
June 7, 2007 3:15:16 PM

What about the BenQ FP241W and BenQ FP241WZ?

Not sure what the difference is between the two. But both feature HDMI and are 1080p.

Which brings to my attention... if they can get 1080p on a 24" monitor, why not on a 32" LCD TV? :( 
June 7, 2007 3:40:37 PM

Why do you need 1080P?

Its not that they cant put 1080P on a 32", the problem is that its more expensive to make a large TV with a better LCD Panel... Smaller pixels cost more and higher resolutions lead to lower yield rates and larger panels also lead to lower yield rates, as in, more screens are defective and what not. Its quite a bit cheaper for a company to MFR a 32 720P than a 32 1080P.
June 7, 2007 4:18:20 PM

The dual monitor equivalent on screen space is dual 1280x1024. That configuration has slightly less pixels than a single 1920x1200 monitor, but not much:

1280x1024*2 = 2621440
1920x1200*1 = 2304000

If you are used to working on a 24" monitor with 1920x1200 resolution, you will hate going back to 1280x1024. My work upgraded me to two LCD displays from my 19" CRTs that were running 1600x1200. The LCDs are 1280x1024. I hate it.

At home I have a Dell 30" as well as a Dell 24". They are both being powered by a 8800 GTX. There is a game supreme commander that supports dual display mode. This game looks awesome on that setup.

Go with the 24". Because down the road if you can ever affort it, you could bump up to dual 24". If you waste your money on two 19" LCDs, you may want that 24" down the road, and you will still only have a single monitor.
June 7, 2007 4:26:11 PM

Theres also a 24" HP..

All these screens are 6MS Grey to Grey (GTG), which means they have very fast response times. The DELL is good, just hard to find, the HP can be had cheap, the BENQ is also pretty nifty, but there are also models from brands like Samsung and ViewSonic.

Im not an LCD connoisseur but there are plenty of reviews to look at online.
June 7, 2007 4:32:54 PM

Well, to clarify things, I sort of have two offices. One office has an old Dell Pentium 4 2.8GHz w/ an nVidia Quadro FX3000 that powers my Dell 24" at 1920x1200. My other office has a Dell M90 laptop that has a Quadro FX 1500M which use to power to 19" monitors. But for some weird reason, the nVidia driver would crash whenever I used my IDE. I felt bad two, well, I disconnected my dual monitor display and tried a 20" monitor. Sorry, but I love the native res on my M90 (1920x1200). The dual monitor is nice and makes it a lot easier to have two documents opened for viewing. However, I'm afraid if I do a dual monitor display and try using my IDE, that it will crash again (since I'm using an nVidia 7900GS).

And so far, from the votes, looks like I might end up with the 24". However, I don't think I'm gonna go with Dell or Gateway. The BenQ FP241W is looking pretty good with it's functionality and reviews. The only problem is that it's $140 more than the Dell 2407 :( 

I'm still debating and trying to save up cash. Have to pay for school, new laptop (for myself), vacation, etc. this summer. Probably looking at the end of summer for doing this.

Keep the opinions and info coming! :D 
June 7, 2007 5:15:56 PM

From the looks of it your not keen on 22" monitors but I thought I would throw in a recommendation for the Samsung 226bw anyway. Form personal experience it is a lovely monitor and 1680x1050 is not a large step down from what your used to. It claims to be hdmi compliant though I have not yet tried any hi-def stuff on it. For the price of a 24" monitor you can get two of these and have some change.
June 8, 2007 11:51:41 AM

ok, get yourself these things...

A) A comfy chair - Somthing you can sit in for hours and has large arm rests

B) a wireless keyboard and mouse - I prefer the logitech mouse that's a trackball you manipulate with your thumb... no surfaces required....

C )a flat white wall - refer to 'D'

D) a monitor - buy a projector instead of an lcd starting at around 600 dollars you can get a "buisness" projector that has a decent res and lumens.. go up to around 1000 if you're super picky. but i think you'll be happy with a 10 foot screen
June 8, 2007 11:58:34 AM

Quote:

B) a wireless keyboard and mouse - I prefer the logitech mouse that's a trackball you manipulate with your thumb... no surfaces required....

Wireless keyboard's and mice suck so much. Gotta recharge the batteries ect. for gaming, imagine how bad that would be, in the middle of a game, and the mouse suddenly loses battery? I mean wtf.

Get a Logitech G5 - best gaming mouse ever =D

As for trackballs... don't even go there. If he's gaming... he NOT going to want a track ball.
June 8, 2007 12:11:59 PM

i have a wired keyboard because the one I like only comes wired.. but i just keep my case close at hand... but the wireless mouse i'm using uses 1 AA every month... and i'm on my pc several hours a day. :-p

that and you can tell when your battery is in it's death throws
June 8, 2007 12:14:58 PM

i prefer DLP projectors over lcd's... I'm not sure on specific model qualities, but i have an infocus that's held up rather well and transports without problem.
June 8, 2007 1:06:12 PM

To nachowarrior

A) Already have

B) I had a Logitech MX Duo (wireless keyboard and mouse with recharge mouse station) and I could game for almost 6-8 hours straight until I had to recharge my mouse which isn't bad. You should take a break anyways after that long. Upgrade to a Logitech G5 and G15 which are great and will not be replaced any time soon.

C) HAHA! If I had an empty wall left in my room lol!

D) I hate projectors.

Now, back to discussion of a 24" monitor or Dual Dispaly. So far, from the poll, I think the 24" Monitor is the winner.

In a way, the reason I like the 24" monitors compared to others is because of certain features such as: Multiple inputs (anything from Composite to HDMI). I like to also multitask (last night, I was installing two pieces of software, while internet browsing for something, playing a game (yea, this sucks with a 19" WS @ 1440x900... but my computer didn't lag :D  ). I'd also like the idea of being able to connect my Wii, XBOX 360, XBOX, PS2, or PS1 to my monitor (ok... the PS1 is out of the question lol).

But get the general idea? I like to play games (from computer to console), multitask (Office, MS IDE, Java, Perl, Internet, installations), and watch movies.

Now, to find the perfect 24" in the right range... :?
June 8, 2007 2:25:13 PM

Quote:
I like to also multitask (last night, I was installing two pieces of software, while internet browsing for something, playing a game (yea, this sucks with a 19" WS @ 1440x900... but my computer didn't lag :D  ).

Noiiiiiiiiice. That should all be attributed to your nicely OC'd E6600 :p  makes me jelous with my E6400 on stock clocks b/c I dont have an 'enthusiast' mobo :( 
June 8, 2007 3:04:47 PM

Quote:
hmm, cant you just turn off the second monitor in the display properties? i dont see why you would need to have the monitors plugged into the slave card. wouldnt it be easier just to plug them both into the same one?

There is virtually zero overhead running two monitors, gaming on one and leaving the other on desktop. None.
!