Another USB Device is not recognized-case!

Fulcrum888

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Hey guys,

I think you all know the 'USB Device is not recognized' error that pops up in unhealthy numbers. My problem is probarly already clear and my question predictable; how the hell do I fix this, I have no other devices plugged in than the Logitech G5 Laser mouse with Setpoint drivers and all other default Win32 drivers.

I just reinstalled my machine, and I thought I'd be freed of it, I had a dualboot before, on XP it never showed up, on Vista it began some weeks ago.
When I finished my installation of WinXP x86 Home, the first thing there was to greet me was the error. Ever since it just keeps popping up, even if my mouse isn't plugged in.

It does seem to stop when I plug my mouse into my two front USB-Gates, but that is inconvinient, as the cables are a bit short and the speed is only USB 1.1.

I just want the sound and the balloon disabled, or just a fix. The mouse doesn't seem to have intereference or any distrubances.

How do I disable those annoying alerts?

~OR~

How do I fix this?

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Hey Fulcrum,

You can disable the alerts (balloon tips) by running the tweak from Kelly's Korner, Line 11 left hand side. Disabling the balloon tips should mean that no sounds accompany.

Download the disableall.reg to your desktop. Once downloaded double click and allow the registry merge.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

As for your USB issue there are also a few USB fixes at Kelly's Korner that may or may not work. Ctrl + F key and search USB.

Before using them I would create a restore point then give the promising ones a whirl. Maybe "USB port fix" or "Restore USB Service"? These ones dont have an undo option hence the restore point, or if you are more familiar with the registry you can export the keys to your desktop as a backup. You could also backup the entire registry with Erunt.

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
On second thoughts, if the message pops up after a fresh Operating System install, this leads me to believe the problem is likely hardware related.

It might pay to check the cable connections are secure inside the case (it is a desktop pc?), especially if the issue is affected by you plugging a device into the USB ports on the front. These aren't directly connected to the motherboard as the back ones are.

If you decide to venture in the tower be sure to power off and unplug from the wall. Touch the tower chasis before reaching inside to discharge any static electricity.

Fulcrum888

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008

Hey btk,

That's what I thought as well, since I run a pretty sturdy desktop, the motherboard will most likely be the intruder in this all. I'm running a relatively cheap motherboard; Asus M2N-MX SE, it was a bad move even purchasing it. It isn't capable of transmitting and processing my GPU's bandwith for it's full whole and seemingly fails at dividing the power supply to each of my components. I did found an option in the Device Manager, that would disable the 'USB Malfunction detection' (translated from Dutch, don't know how I'd say it in the Windows English). Hence, the errors didn't appear but I have a bad feeling they will soon.

I most likely have to buy a new mobo, if you could give me advice, can you recommend me a good and all-around motherboard? I'm searching in the class of ~€80,- or $100,-

Thanks alot!

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Hey Fulcrum,

I am familiar with the Asus M2N-MX SE, I have actually built a couple of budget systems using this Mobo as the backbone. These have been for very limited use, but in my experience there have been no reports of hardware failure.... yet.

For your enquiry into an alternative motherboard, can I suggest going to computing.net (a Tom's site) to seek further advice:

http://www.computing.net

You will have to sign up for an account there, but post in the general hardware forum your request and post a link to this thread.

I have on many occassions recieved help from there that is better than I could have ever hoped for. I assure you the advice you recieve there will be as good as I have had in the past. ;-)