Sign in with
Your question

I'm getting black screens on res switches w/my 8800GTX

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 4, 2007 4:37:01 PM

My comp is in my sig.

Sometimes when I load up BF2142, I get a black screen.

Sometimes when I alt tab (either BF2142 or warIII) I get a black screen.

*sometimes* I can recover by unplugging my dvi cable, leaving it out for a few, then plugging it back in.

Why would this be happening? I may have some stuff not configured correctly... the latest GFX card I had before this was an AGP 9800proSE.
June 4, 2007 4:55:28 PM

Quote:
My comp is in my sig.

Sometimes when I load up BF2142, I get a black screen.

Sometimes when I alt tab (either BF2142 or warIII) I get a black screen.

*sometimes* I can recover by unplugging my dvi cable, leaving it out for a few, then plugging it back in.

Why would this be happening? I may have some stuff not configured correctly... the latest GFX card I had before this was an AGP 9800proSE.

The only thing that comes to mind off hand is:: Uninstall your drivers completely,go back to basics,reinstall the latest from Nvidia,if problem persists,can you get card tested at point of sale/or a buddy's comp??,..:) )
Finally,,,,, RMA the beast??
June 4, 2007 7:28:41 PM

Sounds to me to be a Monitor problem, judging by the "DVI" cable comment.

Have you tried unplugging your monitor when this happens, and plugging it back in (LCD power buttons are usually only 'soft'. You usually have to unplug it to really reset it if you don't have a hard switch in the back)?
Related resources
June 4, 2007 7:57:13 PM

possibly setup as well. theres a chance you may have set up for 2 monitors and thats the switch command and your getting dark as there is not one?
just a gander....good luck
June 4, 2007 8:01:27 PM

Quote:

Have you tried unplugging your monitor when this happens, and plugging it back in (LCD power buttons are usually only 'soft'. You usually have to unplug it to really reset it if you don't have a hard switch in the back)?

That's exactly what I've said that I already do.

Fletch... I'll take a look at that once I get home. I understand what you're saying, and honestly it could be that because when I first built my comp a few weeks ago, I would switch that monitor between my old comp and my new comp while I was copying over files.

Perhaps my comp still thinks it's operating in that mode or something....
June 4, 2007 8:05:25 PM

Quote:

That's exactly what I've said that I already do.

I meant unplug the power; not DVI.

The monitor is more sensitive to state changes on the DVI cable than the card is.
June 4, 2007 8:13:20 PM

Gotcha

Still though, I'd like to prevent the problem from happening in the first place...
June 5, 2007 4:15:03 AM

It doesn't appear that the card thinks it is operating in dual screen mode.

I installed the latest nforce monitoring stuff.. but I can't tell anything usefull.
June 5, 2007 1:43:06 PM

Sounds like a sync issue.

When the rez changes, the monitor will try and resync the signal. If it can't, you usually get an error message of some sort (Frequency out of Range, etc). Unplugging and replugging the DVI (as you said you do) would force the monitor to resync.

It sounds like a monitor / cable issue. By cycling the power instead of pulling the DVI, at least you can identify the problem as a sync issue.
!