CPU Well Overheated

Nutter281

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Hey guys, I am new to this forum but I have a processor thermal question. I built a computer this past January with Asus motherboard and Intel E6400 processor using the stock HSF setup. Computer runs like a champ. Now, recently I moved and for some reason, now idea why, the HSF fell off of the motherboard in the box that I packed the tower in. Computer always ran cool before and the HSF was tight so I don't know if it was just vibration or what that caused it to fall off. Well I planned to switch to liquid cooling anyways so I just reattached the HSF leaving the original Intel thermal grease intact temperarily until I get ready to buy the liquid cooing setup. I just turned it on today for the first time and ran some things, everything going great, then I left for an hour, came back and PC Probe alarm is going off saying processor at 60 degrees celcius. I immediately turned everything off and pulled out the tower which was quite warm. I am working off of my laptop, but my question is is there any way to know if I have caused internal damage to the processor? Everything was still working when I shut it off but I don't know if the chip has suffered damaging effects and since it is still under warranty should I just send it back?

Thanks so much

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I would be very surprised if you did any damage you only got up to 60C.
The old P4s like my Northwood C would easily pass 60C when doing moderate processing on the stock heatshink. They were designed to shut down automatically at 80C to prevent thermal damage.

I don't know how the thermal protection is set up in the Core 2s, but I'm sure they have it. I would worry more about trying to return a CPU that works perfectly fine than about any thermal damage that might have been done to your CPU.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
You should be fine. Is your CPU OC'd at all?

If your HSF fell off it sounds like you might have messed something up during installation. Did you double-check your manual to make sure you installed it properly? Did you maybe bust your mounting mechanism while installing?

teh_sutton

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
My E6300 stock fan didnt start spinning on start up luckily I checked the temps as there was NO alarm NO warning no nothing it read >85C, I was like OMFG!!! :lol: I turned it off then back on and this time the fan spinned, I benchmarked it with super Pi and got the same results as before so I guess no damage done?

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
true story:

i just built a new design, a lan system - with the new themaltake box. Since this was for sale i left the plastic on the window vents. this is small a lan system with GTS and more so its hot - i fired up 2 cpu stablity tests and watch the temps, steady 55c max and stable. So I went to bed!

The next day, in the morning, the cpu temp was 88c - omg!

well it still works fine - slow thermal melt down - same air goes around and around until it cant cool any more.

bottom line your fine - plus cpu's have thermal overload protection built in