Stupid question: XP Server?

June 1, 2005 8:16:36 PM

Is there such an animal? Looking to upgrade our 2 servers from 2000.
Consultant recommended "XP Small Business Server" Does it exist? All I can
find is "2003 Small Business Server" Same beast under different name? Also,
if we aren't running Exchange, what does a Small Business version do for us?
We do run a small MSDE database, but I can get that configured from the
software vendor.

More about : stupid question server

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 8:16:37 PM

Windows Server newsgroup:

Introducing the Windows Server 2003 Operating Systems
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/o...

Supported paths for upgrading to Windows Server 2003
or to Windows Small Business Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=810613

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"David" wrote:

| Is there such an animal? Looking to upgrade our 2 servers from 2000.
| Consultant recommended "XP Small Business Server" Does it exist? All I can
| find is "2003 Small Business Server" Same beast under different name? Also,
| if we aren't running Exchange, what does a Small Business version do for us?
| We do run a small MSDE database, but I can get that configured from the
| software vendor.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 11:23:58 PM

....and get a new consultant.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> Windows Server newsgroup:
>
> Introducing the Windows Server 2003 Operating Systems
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/o...
>
> Supported paths for upgrading to Windows Server 2003
> or to Windows Small Business Server 2003
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=810613
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "David" wrote:
>
> | Is there such an animal? Looking to upgrade our 2 servers from 2000.
> | Consultant recommended "XP Small Business Server" Does it exist? All I
> can
> | find is "2003 Small Business Server" Same beast under different name?
> Also,
> | if we aren't running Exchange, what does a Small Business version do for
> us?
> | We do run a small MSDE database, but I can get that configured from the
> | software vendor.

June 2, 2005 1:25:21 AM

That's a big 10-4, there's no mistaken Win2k3 server line for XP server,
even at the version level, Win2k is 5.0, WinXP is 5.1 and Win2k3 is 5.2 -
what he most likely meant was Win2k3 SBS (Small Business Server) as you
mentioned. Also, I'd demand a refund for services he/she supposedly billed
you for, as I question their validity.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

> ...and get a new consultant.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

>> Windows Server newsgroup:
>>
>> Introducing the Windows Server 2003 Operating Systems
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/o...
>>
>> Supported paths for upgrading to Windows Server 2003
>> or to Windows Small Business Server 2003
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=810613
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

>> "David" wrote:
>>
>> | Is there such an animal? Looking to upgrade our 2 servers from 2000.
>> | Consultant recommended "XP Small Business Server" Does it exist? All I
>> can
>> | find is "2003 Small Business Server" Same beast under different name?
>> Also,
>> | if we aren't running Exchange, what does a Small Business version do
>> for us?
>> | We do run a small MSDE database, but I can get that configured from the
>> | software vendor.

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 3:15:50 PM

Windows 2003 Server?