Stupid question: XP Server?

Is there such an animal? Looking to upgrade our 2 servers from 2000.
Consultant recommended "XP Small Business Server" Does it exist? All I can
find is "2003 Small Business Server" Same beast under different name? Also,
if we aren't running Exchange, what does a Small Business version do for us?
We do run a small MSDE database, but I can get that configured from the
software vendor.
4 answers Last reply
More about stupid question server

    Windows Server newsgroup:

    Introducing the Windows Server 2003 Operating Systems
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/overview/family.mspx

    Supported paths for upgrading to Windows Server 2003
    or to Windows Small Business Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=810613

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "David" wrote:

    | Is there such an animal? Looking to upgrade our 2 servers from 2000.
    | Consultant recommended "XP Small Business Server" Does it exist? All I can
    | find is "2003 Small Business Server" Same beast under different name? Also,
    | if we aren't running Exchange, what does a Small Business version do for us?
    | We do run a small MSDE database, but I can get that configured from the
    | software vendor.

    ....and get a new consultant.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    > Windows Server newsgroup:
    >
    > Introducing the Windows Server 2003 Operating Systems
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/overview/family.mspx
    >
    > Supported paths for upgrading to Windows Server 2003
    > or to Windows Small Business Server 2003
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=810613
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "David" wrote:
    >
    > | Is there such an animal? Looking to upgrade our 2 servers from 2000.
    > | Consultant recommended "XP Small Business Server" Does it exist? All I
    > can
    > | find is "2003 Small Business Server" Same beast under different name?
    > Also,
    > | if we aren't running Exchange, what does a Small Business version do for
    > us?
    > | We do run a small MSDE database, but I can get that configured from the
    > | software vendor.

    That's a big 10-4, there's no mistaken Win2k3 server line for XP server,
    even at the version level, Win2k is 5.0, WinXP is 5.1 and Win2k3 is 5.2 -
    what he most likely meant was Win2k3 SBS (Small Business Server) as you
    mentioned. Also, I'd demand a refund for services he/she supposedly billed
    you for, as I question their validity.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

    http://www.google.com
    Google is your "Friend"

    > ...and get a new consultant.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    >> Windows Server newsgroup:
    >>
    >> Introducing the Windows Server 2003 Operating Systems
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/overview/family.mspx
    >>
    >> Supported paths for upgrading to Windows Server 2003
    >> or to Windows Small Business Server 2003
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=810613
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    >> "David" wrote:
    >>
    >> | Is there such an animal? Looking to upgrade our 2 servers from 2000.
    >> | Consultant recommended "XP Small Business Server" Does it exist? All I
    >> can
    >> | find is "2003 Small Business Server" Same beast under different name?
    >> Also,
    >> | if we aren't running Exchange, what does a Small Business version do
    >> for us?
    >> | We do run a small MSDE database, but I can get that configured from the
    >> | software vendor.

    Windows 2003 Server?

    "David" <no-damn-spam@xyz.com> wrote in message
    > Is there such an animal? Looking to upgrade our 2 servers from 2000.
    > Consultant recommended "XP Small Business Server" Does it exist? All I can
    > find is "2003 Small Business Server" Same beast under different name?
    > Also,
    > if we aren't running Exchange, what does a Small Business version do for
    > us?
    > We do run a small MSDE database, but I can get that configured from the
    > software vendor.

Servers Microsoft Windows XP