Account Question

Does anyone know how long before COH delete's characters from an inactive
account?

Clem Clambake
40 answers Last reply
More about account question
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Clem Clambake wrote:
    > Does anyone know how long before COH delete's characters from an
    inactive
    > account?

    They don't.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 04:56:38 GMT, "Clem Clambake"
    <clemclambake@yahoo.coma> wrote:

    >Does anyone know how long before COH delete's characters from an inactive
    >account?
    >
    >Clem Clambake

    As with most MMO's, they haven't ever wiped inactive accounts. Some
    MMO's may say they'll delete characters after the account has been
    active x number of months, but I haven't heard of them actually doing
    it. So far, CoH hasn't even said they'd do it. Characters tend to take
    up very little storage space, so there's really no reason to, and
    whether the characters are still there could often be the deciding
    factor in whether or not a canceled account is reactivated. Thus, it
    is in their best interest to leave them.

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
    http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

    Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
    http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On 6 Apr 2005 00:14:19 -0700, The Black Guardian <blakgard@aol.com> wrote:
    > Clem Clambake wrote:
    >> Does anyone know how long before COH delete's characters from an
    > inactive account?
    >
    > They don't.

    I don't know if that is official, but at least it hasn't happened so far.
    Besides, deleting would be rather stupid, since the cost of having a
    backed-up account is only a few cents at most, and a returning customer
    would earn them thousands of those pretty quickly. ^_^

    good sign." -G
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    >I don't know if that is official, but at least it hasn't happened so
    far.
    >Besides, deleting would be rather stupid, since the cost of having a
    >backed-up account is only a few cents at most, and a returning
    customer
    >would earn them thousands of those pretty quickly. ^_^

    But it all adds up. A few years down line it might be a toss up between
    buying more disc space or deleting accounts that haven't been used in
    years. NCSoft might well decide to delete the account.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 07:48:40 -0700, Dark Tyger
    <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:

    >On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 04:56:38 GMT, "Clem Clambake"
    ><clemclambake@yahoo.coma> wrote:
    >
    >>Does anyone know how long before COH delete's characters from an inactive
    >>account?
    >>
    >>Clem Clambake
    >
    >As with most MMO's, they haven't ever wiped inactive accounts. Some
    >MMO's may say they'll delete characters after the account has been
    >active x number of months, but I haven't heard of them actually doing
    >it. So far, CoH hasn't even said they'd do it. Characters tend to take
    >up very little storage space, so there's really no reason to, and
    >whether the characters are still there could often be the deciding
    >factor in whether or not a canceled account is reactivated. Thus, it
    >is in their best interest to leave them.
    Add to the fact that lots of people, for whatever reason,do take
    breaks from the games that they play. ( left EQ for about 6 months
    and came back. I already took one break from CoH for over a month.

    Hell, I know this is a bit off topic, but I used to be a fanatic about
    this game Alpha Centaury, and very fecently started playing it again
    after I don't know how many years... One day I just decided that I
    hadn't played it in so long, and I got hooked on the game all over
    again. I can see this being an even more common phenomenon with MMOGs
    because the game can change a good deal after that lenght of time.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    bombaymix wrote:
    >> I don't know if that is official, but at least it hasn't happened so
    >> far. Besides, deleting would be rather stupid, since the cost of
    >> having a backed-up account is only a few cents at most, and a
    returning
    >> customer would earn them thousands of those pretty quickly. ^_^
    >
    > But it all adds up. A few years down line it might be a toss up
    between
    > buying more disc space or deleting accounts that haven't been used in
    > years. NCSoft might well decide to delete the account.

    Indeed. Especially when you consider the amount of information that
    Cryptic stores about each character.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "The Black Guardian" <blakgard@aol.com> looked up from reading the
    say:

    >bombaymix wrote:
    >>> I don't know if that is official, but at least it hasn't happened so
    >>> far. Besides, deleting would be rather stupid, since the cost of
    >>> having a backed-up account is only a few cents at most, and a
    >returning
    >>> customer would earn them thousands of those pretty quickly. ^_^
    >>
    >> But it all adds up. A few years down line it might be a toss up
    >between
    >> buying more disc space or deleting accounts that haven't been used in
    >> years. NCSoft might well decide to delete the account.
    >
    >Indeed. Especially when you consider the amount of information that
    >Cryptic stores about each character.

    Oh please.

    Think about it for a second, just how much information is there since
    there's loot or items.

    A hero planner data file for a character - showing all the levels and
    the slotting, is about 3k in size.
    Even taking into account having to record the type of enhancement
    (TO/DO/SO/HO), badges and such, you're still probably talking under
    15kbytes per character.
    So if you had 8 toons on every server, that still only adds up to 1.32
    meg, uncompressed. Most people have considerably less than that.

    Xocyll
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in

    > So if you had 8 toons on every server, that still only adds up to 1.32
    > meg, uncompressed. Most people have considerably less than that.

    And when you consider that Cryptic/NCSoft almost definately has all of the
    toons stored in some database somewhere, the file size drops considerably.
    all everybodies toons will boil down to is a long line of
    1 23 54 a 4 ij ....

    --
    Marcel
    http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

    "The Black Guardian" <blakgard@aol.com> wrote:
    > Indeed. Especially when you consider the amount of information that
    > Cryptic stores about each character.

    So it's a whole megabyte per character - which is probably 10x the real
    amount. Remember, they don't store lengthy descriptions; I'd bet that a
    complete character appearance, including all costume details, fits into
    less than a single kilobyte.

    A perfectly reasonable alternative is to archive all characters older than
    x years, and make it a 24-hour restore option for people who come back to
    the game after that long of a delay. Or something even more transparent:
    offload the char data to a separate server where it might take 5-10 minutes
    for the data to be restored, much like copying characters to Test.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 16:01:37 -0000, Shenanigunner
    <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

    >"The Black Guardian" <blakgard@aol.com> wrote:
    >> Indeed. Especially when you consider the amount of information that
    >> Cryptic stores about each character.
    >
    >So it's a whole megabyte per character - which is probably 10x the real
    >amount.

    True. I honestly doubt even EQ2 characters come up to that much per
    character. I'd really have to see some official numbers and real
    justification for why if they're bigger than that, because I don't see
    any reason for it beyond shoddy and -EXTREMELY- inefficient
    programming.

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
    http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

    Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
    http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in

    > "The Black Guardian" <blakgard@aol.com> wrote:
    >> Indeed. Especially when you consider the amount of information that
    >> Cryptic stores about each character.
    >
    > So it's a whole megabyte per character - which is probably 10x the
    > real amount. Remember, they don't store lengthy descriptions; I'd bet
    > that a complete character appearance, including all costume details,
    > fits into less than a single kilobyte.

    Ummm... No.

    (I'm a DB/CGI programmer, so I'm not pulling numbers out of my bum :)

    There's a *ton* of information stored per character, that would take far
    more than a kilobyte.

    Just off the top of my head:

    All of the costume options (x 4 slots)
    Aura type, intensity, etc (x 4 slots)
    Cape type, style, colours (x 4 slots)
    All contacts met
    All contact missions done, active, status, etc
    All maps, explored vs unexplored
    influence
    powers, enhancements
    temp powers
    clue data
    arc data
    SG data
    mobs killed data
    power use data (this might not be stored per char, but states has said he
    mines this for balancing issues)

    and a ton more that I'm not even aware of.

    A kilobyte ? Not even close (That would only be 1024 yes/no on/off bits
    of data)

    Now multiply this by 8 character slots by ten servers. It's a *lot* of
    data. They'll start deleting characters at some point in the future, even
    if just to speed up disk access and/or make names available again. Near
    future? Probably not. Year 3 or 4 ? Probably.

    --
    Marc Bissonnette
    CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 19:48:02 GMT, Marc Bissonnette
    <dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:

    >Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in
    >
    >> "The Black Guardian" <blakgard@aol.com> wrote:
    >>> Indeed. Especially when you consider the amount of information that
    >>> Cryptic stores about each character.
    >>
    >> So it's a whole megabyte per character - which is probably 10x the
    >> real amount. Remember, they don't store lengthy descriptions; I'd bet
    >> that a complete character appearance, including all costume details,
    >> fits into less than a single kilobyte.
    >
    >Ummm... No.
    >
    >(I'm a DB/CGI programmer, so I'm not pulling numbers out of my bum :)
    >
    >There's a *ton* of information stored per character, that would take far
    >more than a kilobyte.
    >
    >Just off the top of my head:
    >
    >All of the costume options (x 4 slots)
    >Aura type, intensity, etc (x 4 slots)
    >Cape type, style, colours (x 4 slots)
    >All contacts met
    >All contact missions done, active, status, etc
    >All maps, explored vs unexplored
    >influence
    >powers, enhancements
    >temp powers
    >clue data
    >arc data
    >SG data
    >mobs killed data
    >power use data (this might not be stored per char, but states has said he
    >mines this for balancing issues)
    >
    >and a ton more that I'm not even aware of.

    All of this can be condensed easily into a line of text per item at
    most. Several of these can be condensed into 5 characters or less.

    Quite honestly, the biggest chunk of data might be the "fog of war"
    data for the zone maps. Even that can't be very big.

    More than a kilobyte, yeah, definitely, I'll give you that. But if it
    reaches or even approaches a megabyte, I'd have to question the skill
    of the programmers.

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
    http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

    Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
    http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in

    > On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 19:48:02 GMT, Marc Bissonnette
    > <dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in

    >>> So it's a whole megabyte per character - which is probably 10x the
    >>> real amount. Remember, they don't store lengthy descriptions; I'd
    >>> bet that a complete character appearance, including all costume
    >>> details, fits into less than a single kilobyte.
    >>
    >>Ummm... No.
    >>
    >>(I'm a DB/CGI programmer, so I'm not pulling numbers out of my bum :)
    >>
    >>There's a *ton* of information stored per character, that would take
    >>far more than a kilobyte.
    >>
    >>Just off the top of my head:
    >>
    >>All of the costume options (x 4 slots)
    >>Aura type, intensity, etc (x 4 slots)
    >>Cape type, style, colours (x 4 slots)
    >>All contacts met
    >>All contact missions done, active, status, etc
    >>All maps, explored vs unexplored
    >>influence
    >>powers, enhancements
    >>temp powers
    >>clue data
    >>arc data
    >>SG data
    >>mobs killed data
    >>power use data (this might not be stored per char, but states has said
    >>he mines this for balancing issues)
    >>
    >>and a ton more that I'm not even aware of.
    >
    > All of this can be condensed easily into a line of text per item at
    > most. Several of these can be condensed into 5 characters or less.

    > Quite honestly, the biggest chunk of data might be the "fog of war"
    > data for the zone maps. Even that can't be very big.
    >
    > More than a kilobyte, yeah, definitely, I'll give you that. But if it
    > reaches or even approaches a megabyte, I'd have to question the skill
    > of the programmers.

    A meg per char ? Nah, I doubt it. It's probably in the 10-20K range,
    though, at least. Then multiply that by the following:

    total number of customer accounts * 8 * 10 * 15 (picking the mid-range of
    kilobytes)
    let's say there are 100,000 accounts:
    ((100000 * 8) * 10) * 15 =
    (800000) * 10) * 15 =
    8000000 * 15 =
    120,000,000 kilobytes
    or 117187.5 megabytes
    or 117.19 gigabytes for the US servers alone. That is, of course,
    assuming that every single customer has 8 alts on all 10 servers. While
    this obviously isn't the case (I, for example, have 7 alts on one server
    only), it has to be *planned* to be so. I would guess that total
    character data is probably around the 30-50 gigabyte mark, if my numbers
    are close-ish, which I think they are.

    Equally obviously, it's not like the servers are searching through the
    entire data structure to find bits and pieces (gotta love relational
    DB's), but over time, it really, really does add up in terms of speed and
    performance hits.

    I've seen this myself where a customer *insisted* on keeping millions of
    lines of ordering data in their order database, even though some of them
    were years old (I wanted to, at the very least, duplicate the DB
    structure and move everything that wasn't in the current or previous year
    to it, but they thought they knew better) Long story short: When they
    finally listened to me and let me archive older data that wasn't being
    used anymore, the entire application sped up *massively*, (And, of
    course, they were 'surprised' at the speed increase).

    Storage is always cheap, but performance never is :)

    --
    Marc Bissonnette
    CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com
    Looking for a new ISP? http://www.canadianisp.com
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:
    >> So it's a whole megabyte per character - which is probably 10x the
    >> real amount. Remember, they don't store lengthy descriptions; I'd bet
    >> that a complete character appearance, including all costume details,
    >> fits into less than a single kilobyte.

    > Ummm... No.
    > There's a *ton* of information stored per character, that would take
    > far more than a kilobyte.

    Character *appearance*. Only.

    All the rest would easily fit into the meg I started with.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
    -= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 22:48:25 -0000, Shenanigunner
    <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

    >Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:
    >>> So it's a whole megabyte per character - which is probably 10x the
    >>> real amount. Remember, they don't store lengthy descriptions; I'd bet
    >>> that a complete character appearance, including all costume details,
    >>> fits into less than a single kilobyte.
    >
    >> Ummm... No.
    >> There's a *ton* of information stored per character, that would take
    >> far more than a kilobyte.
    >
    >Character *appearance*. Only.
    >
    >All the rest would easily fit into the meg I started with.

    Even the character appearance doesn't require much. Take each listing
    on the character creator. It's probably a 2-3 digit number for each
    option in there.

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
    http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

    Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
    http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> once tried to test me with:

    > (I'm a DB/CGI programmer, so I'm not pulling numbers out of my bum :)
    >
    > There's a *ton* of information stored per character, that would take
    > far more than a kilobyte.
    >
    > A kilobyte ? Not even close (That would only be 1024 yes/no on/off
    > bits of data)

    You're a programmer, and you don't know that a kiloBYTE can store a hell of
    a lot more than 1024 yes/no bits of data? I think you need to go back to
    school.

    A BYTE is 8 bits. So that's 8 different yes/no values per BYTE. And that's
    1024 of those.

    This is basic CS 101 stuff. It doesn't get any more basic than this. :/

    Besides which, the data they'll be storing is most likely NOT a series of
    yes/no values. They're probably using numerical codes that mean something
    specific, like a code for each face-style, etc.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On 9 Apr 2005 07:46:11 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

    >Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> once tried to test me with:
    >
    >> (I'm a DB/CGI programmer, so I'm not pulling numbers out of my bum :)
    >>
    >> There's a *ton* of information stored per character, that would take
    >> far more than a kilobyte.
    >>
    >> A kilobyte ? Not even close (That would only be 1024 yes/no on/off
    >> bits of data)
    >
    >You're a programmer, and you don't know that a kiloBYTE can store a hell of
    >a lot more than 1024 yes/no bits of data? I think you need to go back to
    >school.

    Curious how everyone on Usenet is suddenly a programmer when it is
    convenient to lend credibility to their side of an argument, isn't it?
    ;)

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
    http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

    Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
    http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote in

    > Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> once tried to test me
    > with:
    >
    >> (I'm a DB/CGI programmer, so I'm not pulling numbers out of my bum :)
    >>
    >> There's a *ton* of information stored per character, that would take
    >> far more than a kilobyte.
    >>
    >> A kilobyte ? Not even close (That would only be 1024 yes/no on/off
    >> bits of data)
    >
    > You're a programmer, and you don't know that a kiloBYTE can store a
    > hell of a lot more than 1024 yes/no bits of data? I think you need to
    >
    > A BYTE is 8 bits. So that's 8 different yes/no values per BYTE. And
    > that's 1024 of those.
    >
    > This is basic CS 101 stuff. It doesn't get any more basic than this.
    > :/
    >
    > Besides which, the data they'll be storing is most likely NOT a series
    > of yes/no values. They're probably using numerical codes that mean
    > something specific, like a code for each face-style, etc.

    <Rolls eyes>

    So, lemme get this straight: You think that all the character data is
    stored in a single kiloBYTE on their servers ?

    Of course, in the classic newb-to-usenet fashion, you snipped the rest of
    my comment, which stated that there is probably, on average, 10-20K of
    data per character, minimum.

    Given even the volume of data stored, this just makes sense. Obviously,
    however, to geniuses like you, it can all magically be squeezed into a
    byte or three, eh ?

    You *do* know, by the way, that storing a byte with eight bits of
    *usable* data is only true if they're communicating directly in binary,
    eh ?

    Ya caught me on my slip-up with the 8 bits to a byte - however, there are
    1024 bytes to a kilobyte, which is, generally, still 1024 pieces of
    useable information.

    (Try it: type "1" 1024 times in a text file and see how big the file
    is...)

    Thanks ever so much for your gentlemanly response.

    --
    Marc Bissonnette
    CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com
    Looking for a new ISP? http://www.canadianisp.com
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 16:30:11 GMT, Marc Bissonnette
    <dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:

    >Because he jumped on the fact that I misquoted the bits-for bytes fact (8
    >bits to a byte, etc). Further down in my post, I said 10-20 K per
    >character file, which should rather easily show what was getting at with
    >regards to storage space per character.
    >
    >Of course, in his rush to prove how superior he was, he quoted only the
    >'1024 usable bits of information' part of the post.

    NOWHERE in the quoted post did you say ANYTHING about 10-20k per
    character file... Unless you'd be kind enough to point it out in the
    quote which is, once again, below and contains the ENTIRE post he was
    quoting a part of.

    Before you accuse someone of being a "newb-to-usenet" and snipping out
    information from your post, make DAMN sure that said information was
    actually in the post that he quoted.

    >>>Ummm... No.
    >>>
    >>>(I'm a DB/CGI programmer, so I'm not pulling numbers out of my bum :)
    >>>
    >>>There's a *ton* of information stored per character, that would take
    >>>far more than a kilobyte.
    >>>
    >>>Just off the top of my head:
    >>>
    >>>All of the costume options (x 4 slots)
    >>>Aura type, intensity, etc (x 4 slots)
    >>>Cape type, style, colours (x 4 slots)
    >>>All contacts met
    >>>All contact missions done, active, status, etc
    >>>All maps, explored vs unexplored
    >>>influence
    >>>powers, enhancements
    >>>temp powers
    >>>clue data
    >>>arc data
    >>>SG data
    >>>mobs killed data
    >>>power use data (this might not be stored per char, but states has said
    >>>he mines this for balancing issues)
    >>>
    >>>and a ton more that I'm not even aware of.
    >>>
    >>>A kilobyte ? Not even close (That would only be 1024 yes/no on/off
    >>>bits of data)
    >>>
    >>>Now multiply this by 8 character slots by ten servers. It's a *lot* of
    >>>data. They'll start deleting characters at some point in the future,
    >>>even if just to speed up disk access and/or make names available
    >>>again. Near future? Probably not. Year 3 or 4 ? Probably.

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
    http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

    Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
    http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    > On 9 Apr 2005 07:46:11 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> once tried to test me
    >>with:
    >>
    >>> (I'm a DB/CGI programmer, so I'm not pulling numbers out of my bum
    >>> :)
    >>>
    >>> There's a *ton* of information stored per character, that would take
    >>> far more than a kilobyte.
    >>>
    >>> A kilobyte ? Not even close (That would only be 1024 yes/no on/off
    >>> bits of data)
    >>
    >>You're a programmer, and you don't know that a kiloBYTE can store a
    >>hell of a lot more than 1024 yes/no bits of data? I think you need to
    >
    > Curious how everyone on Usenet is suddenly a programmer when it is
    > convenient to lend credibility to their side of an argument, isn't it?
    > ;)

    Curious how you don't read the .sig file of every post I've made to this or
    any other newsgroup that says that yes, I've always been a programmer,
    isn't it ?

    --
    Marc Bissonnette
    CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com
    Looking for a new ISP? http://www.canadianisp.com
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 16:31:11 GMT, Marc Bissonnette
    <dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:

    >Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in
    >
    >> On 9 Apr 2005 07:46:11 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> once tried to test me
    >>>with:

    >>>You're a programmer, and you don't know that a kiloBYTE can store a
    >>>hell of a lot more than 1024 yes/no bits of data? I think you need to
    >>
    >> Curious how everyone on Usenet is suddenly a programmer when it is
    >> convenient to lend credibility to their side of an argument, isn't it?
    >> ;)
    >
    >Curious how you don't read the .sig file of every post I've made to this or
    >any other newsgroup that says that yes, I've always been a programmer,
    >isn't it ?

    ....curious how you think that linking to DB management tool sites
    automatically tells people you're a programmer and not just whoring
    traffic to a website. And how you assume in classic newb-to-usenet
    style that everyone even bothers to read sigs (many (in fact, I'd
    wager most) don't).

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
    http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

    Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
    http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On 7 Apr 2005 04:05:53 -0700, bombaymix <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote:

    >> I don't know if that is official, but at least it hasn't happened so
    >> far.
    >> Besides, deleting would be rather stupid, since the cost of having a
    >> backed-up account is only a few cents at most, and a returning customer
    >> would earn them thousands of those pretty quickly. ^_^
    >
    > But it all adds up. A few years down line it might be a toss up between
    > buying more disc space or deleting accounts that haven't been used in
    > years. NCSoft might well decide to delete the account.

    I believe that for the projected lifetime of this game, the cost of disk
    storage is likely to fall faster than NCSoft can accumulate retired
    characters. But yeah, I suppose they may want to speed up the servers by
    moving retired chars out to some "vault" disks, from which it might take a
    minute to load back onto active server after registration. But even if
    they stored it on tape, no one would notice, since it already takes some
    time (an hour or so last I tried) from you sign up till you get the
    confirmation e-mail for a new account.

    good sign." -G
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 19:35:42 +0200, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no>
    wrote:

    >On 7 Apr 2005 04:05:53 -0700, bombaymix <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>> I don't know if that is official, but at least it hasn't happened so
    >>> far.
    >>> Besides, deleting would be rather stupid, since the cost of having a
    >>> backed-up account is only a few cents at most, and a returning customer
    >>> would earn them thousands of those pretty quickly. ^_^
    >>
    >> But it all adds up. A few years down line it might be a toss up between
    >> buying more disc space or deleting accounts that haven't been used in
    >> years. NCSoft might well decide to delete the account.
    >
    >I believe that for the projected lifetime of this game, the cost of disk
    >storage is likely to fall faster than NCSoft can accumulate retired
    >characters

    Fact is, EQ has never wiped inactive accounts, and they're running on
    6 years now. Hell, they even hold backups of deleted characters until
    a new one with the same name on the same server is made. I once had a
    character that had been deleted for nearly a full year restored.

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
    http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

    Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
    http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    > On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 16:30:11 GMT, Marc Bissonnette
    > <dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Because he jumped on the fact that I misquoted the bits-for bytes fact
    >>(8 bits to a byte, etc). Further down in my post, I said 10-20 K per
    >>character file, which should rather easily show what was getting at
    >>with regards to storage space per character.
    >>
    >>Of course, in his rush to prove how superior he was, he quoted only
    >>the '1024 usable bits of information' part of the post.
    >
    > NOWHERE in the quoted post did you say ANYTHING about 10-20k per
    > character file... Unless you'd be kind enough to point it out in the
    > quote which is, once again, below and contains the ENTIRE post he was
    > quoting a part of.
    >
    > Before you accuse someone of being a "newb-to-usenet" and snipping out
    > information from your post, make DAMN sure that said information was
    > actually in the post that he quoted.

    *yawn* Are you done yet or is there some more you need to get off your
    chest to vent your feelings of RL inadequacy, "dark tyger" ?

    Take a look through the thread and even you should be able to find my
    attribution for character storage size.

    Just to make you happy, though, I'll let you have the last word on this
    with your next post.

    You're welcome.

    --
    Marc Bissonnette
    CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com
    Looking for a new ISP? http://www.canadianisp.com
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> once tried to test me with:

    > Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote in
    >
    >> Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> once tried to test me
    >> with:
    >>
    >>> (I'm a DB/CGI programmer, so I'm not pulling numbers out of my bum
    >>> :)
    >>>
    >>> There's a *ton* of information stored per character, that would take
    >>> far more than a kilobyte.
    >>>
    >>> A kilobyte ? Not even close (That would only be 1024 yes/no on/off
    >>> bits of data)
    >>
    >> You're a programmer, and you don't know that a kiloBYTE can store a
    >> hell of a lot more than 1024 yes/no bits of data? I think you need to
    >>
    >> A BYTE is 8 bits. So that's 8 different yes/no values per BYTE. And
    >> that's 1024 of those.
    >>
    >> This is basic CS 101 stuff. It doesn't get any more basic than this.
    >> :/
    >>
    >> Besides which, the data they'll be storing is most likely NOT a
    >> series of yes/no values. They're probably using numerical codes that
    >> mean something specific, like a code for each face-style, etc.
    >
    ><Rolls eyes>
    >
    > So, lemme get this straight: You think that all the character data is
    > stored in a single kiloBYTE on their servers ?

    Uh, NO, did I write that? Pick another straw man.

    > Of course, in the classic newb-to-usenet fashion, you snipped the rest
    > of my comment, which stated that there is probably, on average, 10-20K
    > of data per character, minimum.

    Regardless, you made an error, I corrected it. And if you think i'm a newb,
    you're an idiot. Go use google and get a free clue.

    > Given even the volume of data stored, this just makes sense.
    > Obviously, however, to geniuses like you, it can all magically be
    > squeezed into a byte or three, eh ?

    No, genius, I didn't write that. Go back and reread the thread, you seem to
    have a reading comprehension problem.

    > You *do* know, by the way, that storing a byte with eight bits of
    > *usable* data is only true if they're communicating directly in
    > binary, eh ?

    Communicating directly in binary? Are you on crack? You do not have to
    write code in binary to use bytes. You can do it in C, C++, C# or any
    number of languages that support bitwise operations if you're wanting to
    use 1-bit flags for yes-no variables.

    > Ya caught me on my slip-up with the 8 bits to a byte - however, there
    > are 1024 bytes to a kilobyte, which is, generally, still 1024 pieces
    > of useable information.

    It's 1024 8-bit pieces of information. You can store 8 yes/no bits of data
    in 8 bits.

    > (Try it: type "1" 1024 times in a text file and see how big the file
    > is...)

    LOL, and what would that prove? That "1" is a type char, which is a byte.
    That's not the same as "yes/no" which only requires 1 bit.

    > Thanks ever so much for your gentlemanly response.

    Look, you tried to pass yourself off with credentials as being a
    programmer, then you screwed up something as basic as the difference
    between bits and bytes. Sorry if I was a bit harsh, but you were flat out
    wrong.

    I have no idea if they can store a character in CoH in a single kilobyte,
    because I do not have any clue (nor does anyone else reading this) about
    how many bits of data they actually need to store to store character
    status. I'm sure I could think of some things, but I probably wouldn't
    think of everything and that could throw off the numbers when talking about
    the database size as a whole by a huge ass margin. I only wanted to correct
    your error, I do not disagree with you (neither do I agree) with how large
    the size must be to store a character. Truthfully, I think 20k is probably
    a pretty high estimate, but 1k is probably low.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> once tried to test me with:

    > On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 16:31:11 GMT, Marc Bissonnette
    ><dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in

    >>> Curious how everyone on Usenet is suddenly a programmer when it is
    >>> convenient to lend credibility to their side of an argument, isn't
    >>> it? ;)
    >>
    >>Curious how you don't read the .sig file of every post I've made to
    >>this or any other newsgroup that says that yes, I've always been a
    >>programmer, isn't it ?
    >
    > ...curious how you think that linking to DB management tool sites
    > automatically tells people you're a programmer and not just whoring
    > traffic to a website. And how you assume in classic newb-to-usenet
    > style that everyone even bothers to read sigs (many (in fact, I'd
    > wager most) don't).

    If you do go to his site, you find his resume here:

    http://www.internalysis.com/resume.html

    It shows that he is a self-taught programmer since 1995, when he taught
    himself HTML and Perl. Apparently he taught himself MySQL in 2002. I don't
    have anything against self-teaching, and I can see how someone who isn't
    formally educated might have missed out on bitwise operations.

    However, you also will find that he's a volunteer firefighter, which IMHO
    is a much more commendable job than a mere programmer. ;)

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    > Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> once tried to test me with:
    >
    >> On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 16:31:11 GMT, Marc Bissonnette
    >><dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in

    >>>Curious how you don't read the .sig file of every post I've made to
    >>>this or any other newsgroup that says that yes, I've always been a
    >>>programmer, isn't it ?
    >>
    >> ...curious how you think that linking to DB management tool sites
    >> automatically tells people you're a programmer and not just whoring
    >> traffic to a website. And how you assume in classic newb-to-usenet
    >> style that everyone even bothers to read sigs (many (in fact, I'd
    >> wager most) don't).
    >
    > If you do go to his site, you find his resume here:
    >
    > http://www.internalysis.com/resume.html
    >
    > It shows that he is a self-taught programmer since 1995, when he
    > taught himself HTML and Perl. Apparently he taught himself MySQL in
    > 2002. I don't have anything against self-teaching, and I can see how
    > someone who isn't formally educated might have missed out on bitwise
    > operations.
    >
    > However, you also will find that he's a volunteer firefighter, which
    > IMHO is a much more commendable job than a mere programmer. ;)

    LOL;

    Flame-wars in a gaming newsgroup are definitely not my idea of
    entertainment, so I'll simply reply with

    "Being a volunteer/on call firefighter is also a helluva lot more
    interesting than the programming side of income-generation :)

    --
    Marc Bissonnette
    CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com
    Looking for a new ISP? http://www.canadianisp.com
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:
    > *yawn* Are you done yet or is there some more you need to get off your
    > chest to vent your feelings of RL inadequacy, "dark tyger" ?

    Dude, you're the guy who falsely accused somebody else of creative
    editing. Get over it already.
    --
    Bradd W. Szonye
    http://www.szonye.com/bradd

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:38:04 -0700, Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net>
    scribed into the ether:

    >On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 19:48:02 GMT, Marc Bissonnette
    ><dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:

    >>Just off the top of my head:

    [snip]

    >>and a ton more that I'm not even aware of.
    >
    >All of this can be condensed easily into a line of text per item at
    >most. Several of these can be condensed into 5 characters or less.

    >Quite honestly, the biggest chunk of data might be the "fog of war"
    >data for the zone maps. Even that can't be very big.

    Fog of War for zone maps is stored locally, AFAIK. There are mods you can
    get which give you completely opened up maps as soon as you walk
    in...obviously only for city zones, not mission maps (but mission map
    exploration doesn't get stored anyway).
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 07:48:40 -0700, Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net>
    scribed into the ether:

    >On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 04:56:38 GMT, "Clem Clambake"
    ><clemclambake@yahoo.coma> wrote:
    >
    >>Does anyone know how long before COH delete's characters from an inactive
    >>account?
    >>
    >>Clem Clambake
    >
    >As with most MMO's, they haven't ever wiped inactive accounts. Some
    >MMO's may say they'll delete characters after the account has been
    >active x number of months, but I haven't heard of them actually doing
    >it.

    Well, UO did. Not sure if they still do, but disc space was a lot more
    expensive "in those days"...you didn't even have to have your account
    deactivated, just to have not played the character for a bit. You'd get a
    message at the character selection screen that X had 15 more days to live
    or whatever.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
    > Fog of War for zone maps is stored locally, AFAIK.

    I don't disbelieve you, but there aren't many things that are stored
    locally; I don't know why FOW would be. If you were to log in with a
    different client, you'd see different unfogging? I don't THEENK so...

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
    -= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:14:16 -0000, Shenanigunner
    <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

    >Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
    >> Fog of War for zone maps is stored locally, AFAIK.
    >
    >I don't disbelieve you, but there aren't many things that are stored
    >locally; I don't know why FOW would be. If you were to log in with a
    >different client, you'd see different unfogging? I don't THEENK so...

    Yeah, I'd uninstalled CoH completely from my system, even went through
    a HD format, during my break from CoH. After reinstalling, the maps
    were still all unfogged as they were before I left.

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
    http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

    Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
    http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> once tried to test me with:

    > "Being a volunteer/on call firefighter is also a helluva lot more
    > interesting than the programming side of income-generation :)

    I'd imagine so. Closest thing to a fire I ever got was burning up my
    parent's kitchen when I was 14 years old. They still love me though. And I
    learned an important lesson that day. Don't throw water on a grease fire.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Marc Bissonnette wrote:
    > "Being a volunteer/on call firefighter is also a helluva lot more
    > interesting than the programming side of income-generation :)

    I don't know about that. Exciting? Perhaps... But interests vary. I can
    become so interested in coding, that I literally loose track of hours
    at a time.
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    > Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> once tried to test me
    > with:
    >
    >> "Being a volunteer/on call firefighter is also a helluva lot more
    >> interesting than the programming side of income-generation :)
    >
    > I'd imagine so. Closest thing to a fire I ever got was burning up my
    > parent's kitchen when I was 14 years old. They still love me though.
    > And I learned an important lesson that day. Don't throw water on a
    > grease fire.

    LOL - A good lesson to learn :) We're out in a fairly rural area, so we see
    a *lot* of chimney and bush fires. Amazing how many people don't remember
    that chimney cleaning is *vitally* important, especially for wood stoves.

    I think one of the worst things to see (relatively speaking) is a home or
    property that could have been saved if only the homeowner had called as
    soon as they realized something was wrong, rather than waiting to see if
    they could get it under control. Much, *much* better to have the fire
    department come out to something that has since died down, rather than to a
    fully involved structure fire in which the priority changes to saving
    surrounding structures, rather than that which is burning. (After, of
    course, ensuring no lives are at risk)

    Ounce of prevention and all of that (Odds are that if even one in ten
    people reading this message got up and checked their smoke detector, a
    surprising number of them would discover dead batteries...) (Related to
    that: People who have hard-wired smoke detectors with no battery-only
    powered detectors as back ups - frustrating!)

    --
    Marc Bissonnette
    CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com
    Looking for a new ISP? http://www.canadianisp.com
  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    > Fact is, EQ has never wiped inactive accounts, and they're running on
    > 6 years now. Hell, they even hold backups of deleted characters until
    > a new one with the same name on the same server is made. I once had a
    > character that had been deleted for nearly a full year restored.

    I think that they are wiping them now that they are doing massive server
    merges. And even then, it is only if the character is below some level (10
    I think) and hasn't been played for X months. (I think X is 6, but am not
    sure)

    --
    Marcel
    http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

    Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> once tried to test me with:

    > Ounce of prevention and all of that (Odds are that if even one in ten
    > people reading this message got up and checked their smoke detector, a
    > surprising number of them would discover dead batteries...) (Related to
    > that: People who have hard-wired smoke detectors with no battery-only
    > powered detectors as back ups - frustrating!)

    Oh man smoke detectors is a sore spot for me. In our house they are all
    linked somehow, and so when one goes off they all do, but unfortunately,
    this also means that when one battery dies, ALL THE FRICKIN' DETECTORS
    START BEEPING!! So it's a real hassle to change the batteries on these
    things. It's gotten to the point where I just buy 9 or so 9-volts and keep
    them on hand to replace ALL of them as soon as they start beeping, easier
    than figuring out which one is dead.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  38. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
    > Oh man smoke detectors is a sore spot for me. In our house they are
    > all linked somehow, and so when one goes off they all do, but
    > unfortunately, this also means that when one battery dies, ALL THE
    > FRICKIN' DETECTORS START BEEPING!! So it's a real hassle to change the
    > batteries on these things.

    That's weird. Detectors that are linked are usually AC-powered with onboard
    rechargeables - I've never heard of 9V-powered, linked detectors. What
    brand or system is it?

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
    -= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  39. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    > Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> once tried to test me
    > with:
    >
    >> Ounce of prevention and all of that (Odds are that if even one in ten
    >> people reading this message got up and checked their smoke detector,
    >> a surprising number of them would discover dead batteries...)
    >> (Related to that: People who have hard-wired smoke detectors with no
    >> battery-only powered detectors as back ups - frustrating!)
    >>

    > Oh man smoke detectors is a sore spot for me. In our house they are
    > all linked somehow, and so when one goes off they all do, but
    > unfortunately, this also means that when one battery dies, ALL THE
    > FRICKIN' DETECTORS START BEEPING!! So it's a real hassle to change the
    > batteries on these things. It's gotten to the point where I just buy 9
    > or so 9-volts and keep them on hand to replace ALL of them as soon as
    > they start beeping, easier than figuring out which one is dead.

    LOL, it's sort of like insurance: Annoying as all hell to remember the
    details while you don't need it (esp. paying the bills when you've got
    more important things, like a new riding mower, to buy :), but it
    literally saves lives when smoke starts in the bottom floor and people
    are sleeping in the top.

    Ironically enough, I never used to believe the fire prevention
    commercials that said a house can burn in as little as 90 seconds. In the
    two years of being a firefighter, though, I've *seen* it. If you're
    interested, take a look at this:

    http://www.beachburg.com/firehall/

    the images of the house fire were a controlled burn as part of a training
    excercise (home was infested with termites, so it needed to be burned) -
    From the time of lighting it in the corner of one room to the point where
    the flame burst through the roof: 1 minute, 50 seconds.

    Without linked detectors, anyone asleep in the top floor who didn't wake
    up would have literally had the choice of jumping from the top floor or
    burning to death. At the 3 minute mark, even that choice was removed as
    flame engulfed the entire home.

    Makes ya think :)

    (And yeah, I've got linked detectors, battery backups, fire extinguishers
    and an escape ladder on the second floor - shame it took me being a
    firefighter to realize these are small prices to pay for the hopefully
    never-used eventuality of a fire :( )

    --
    Marc Bissonnette
    CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com
    Looking for a new ISP? http://www.canadianisp.com
  40. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> once tried to test me
    with:

    > That's weird. Detectors that are linked are usually AC-powered with
    > onboard rechargeables - I've never heard of 9V-powered, linked
    > detectors. What brand or system is it?

    I don't know what brand it is. They are AC-powered, but the battery is in
    them I guess in case AC is off or something, but the batteries still go
    dead every year or so. And the batteries are not rechargables, they're
    regular 9-volts.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Games Video Games