Sign in with
Your question

Building average gaming + music system. Opinions?

Last response: in Systems
June 4, 2007 7:43:28 PM

Hi.

Its time for my old AMD 2600+ Barton system to retire, so Im going to build a new rig.

CPU:
Intel E6420

Motherboard:
Asus P5LD2/C

Memory:
2x Corsair 512MB DDR2 667MHZ CL5

GPU:
Gainward 8800GTS 320MB 320bit

HD:
Samsung P120S 250GB SATAII NCQ 7200 RPM 8MB

PSU:
Corsair PSU 520W

From my old system I leech my old X-Fi Elite Pro and my good old two 160gb IDE drives and very old but trusty LG GSA-4040B DVD burner. Also for cooling I consider Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, and for casing Antec Sonata II Piano Black.

Now, as a headphone audiophile, (I use open-design headphones mainly) I want my system to be as quiet as possible, so that fan humming and such wont disturb my music lisening. For reasonable price of course. Sonata II is very cool looking and tempting case and should have very good cooling/noise-dampening ratio, but is there any other casing that would provide equally good cooling and silence, perhaps even better, but without the need to pay extra for good looks? Help me to get best bang for the buck without useless extra price-riser thingamabobs! :p 

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for changes? Motherboard could probaply be better and could support 800mhz ddr2, but I really dont know what brand and model provides as good bang for the buck as p5ld2/c. Graphics card must be Nvidia cuz I like to use 3D Glasses, and ATI's support for those is completely non-existent. But brand change could be possible, if there are brands that could be as good as gainward but better bang for the buck?
June 4, 2007 8:31:21 PM

I suggest upgrading to 2 Gb of RAM, preferably at 800 Mhz if you're going to be overclocking (which you should, it's stupidly easy with a Core 2 Duo). If you do decide to overclock, you're going to need a better motherboard. The Gigabyte 965P-DS3 would be a good choice if you're looking for something cheaper, but if you want to be more future-proof, get a P35-based board, they've just come out recently.
Related resources
June 4, 2007 8:37:51 PM

Quote:
I would recommend 2gb ram.
I currently use the corsair 2x1gb 667mhz value and they are great.

I guess so. Though that would definetly then raise a need for cheaper case. My funds are limited.

BTW, is the PSU sufficient for this rig?
June 4, 2007 8:46:58 PM

Quote:
I suggest upgrading to 2 Gb of RAM, preferably at 800 Mhz if you're going to be overclocking (which you should, it's stupidly easy with a Core 2 Duo). If you do decide to overclock, you're going to need a better motherboard. The Gigabyte 965P-DS3 would be a good choice if you're looking for something cheaper, but if you want to be more future-proof, get a P35-based board, they've just come out recently.

I can get MSI P35 NEO-F for cheaper than Gigabyte 956P-DS2 here in Finland. So I guess thats a better choice.

Allright, Mobo and ram choices changed to MSI P35 and Corsair 2x1gb 800MHz.
June 5, 2007 12:08:24 AM

Ram prices are ludicrously cheap now, that another major drop is almost impossible - the Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 is a spectacular performer at less than 100$.
June 5, 2007 3:11:56 PM

I think I have to drop my 8800GTS to 8600GTS to keep costs minimum. How good is Gainwards version, especially "Golden Sample". Golden sample is the overclocked version, right?

I know 8600 perfomance is questionable for the price, atleast with current DX9 games, (though it definetly should be twice as fast as my old 6800GT) but DX10 is already coming.
June 13, 2007 6:51:40 PM

Scratch that, 8800GTS it will be!

About casing, Antec Sonata III would seem a good choice if I drop Corsair PSU. The 500W PSU that comes with Sonata III should be excellent quality. But is it too cramped up and small compared to, for example, P150?

That leads to question, which gives better value/silence for money, Corsair PSU + P150 (without PSU) or Sonata III with its original PSU? Or are they equally silently cooled?

*edit* I just heard that 8800GTS might be too large card for both P150 and Sonata III. Is it true?
June 13, 2007 8:55:17 PM

Can you show us a link to your case? It is it mid, mini, or full?
!