Onboard network cannot start (Code 10)

Whittaker

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
After a fresh installation of XP the onboard network card is no longer working with the error message "This device cannot start (Code 10)". I've changed no parts, same process on installation, bios settings are fine, formatted and re-installed to the same error so I was hoping somebody could help me find out what the problem is.
I'm using the Gigabyte EP41-UD3L which has the Realtek RTL8168D(P)/8111D(P) as the onboard NIC running Windows XP Pro SP2. I just used the motherboard installation CD to install it initially as I did on the previous install and have also tried new drivers but had no luck. I've never run into this Code 10 error before so I'm not sure where to go from here and any help will be appreciated.

The Windows knowledge base isn't much help either as it's explanations for code 10 are
- If the device has a FailReasonString value in its hardware key, that string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator puts this registry string value there. If there is no FailReasonString in the hardware key, you receive the following error message: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

- Code 10 is a default error code that Device Manager generates when the operating system cannot determine which specific error code to return after an issue occurs.

Worst case scenario I just disable the onboard in the Bios and buy a new NIC but I'd rather not if it can be avoided.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
if it shows up in device manager uninstall it, reboot and reinstall it.
code 10 is almost always the driver.
If the driver worked before it will work again.
It may just be that the install went wrong some where.

If not go to the gigabyte website and get the new driver for it.

cannabizmachine

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
i got the same problem with my PC. but what had happened was that when i changed the configuration, i can't put it back again. and it says this device cannot start. it also says that it would need an installer cd to reactivate (which i don't have). what can you advice? thanks

bmw0707

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
this is what i did and worked for me. uninstall your network adapter and download the drivers online( using another pc curse). put the file/drivers in a flash drive in order to transfer the file to your pc that cant connect to the internet. once ur pc detects ur flash drive, open it and install the drivers in your pc. this is the link where u can download the drivers from. search for the drivers that are compatible with your network adapter. good luck.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-59636-1