Any thoughts on Cringely's latest article about Apple and ..

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 22, 2005 9:48:36 PM

Cringely expresses some interesting ideas in his latest article (link
above). He thinks Apple may start offering, for a fee, HD movies for
download and playback.

I, for one, would love the ability to buy HD movies. I own a fairly
modest HDTV; Samsung 30" CRT, and enjoy the available HD content.

What are your thoughts on such a service?

So, here is another question to all of you:

What is the recommended solution for connecting my Mac Powerbook DVI
output to my component inputs on my Samsung HDTV (in 1080i mode)? What
solution offers a reasonable balance between cost and quality?

To confuse this question, I've read quite a bit about PowerStrip, a
program that adjusts your refresh rate and resolution so that the
signal from your computer is accepted by your HDTV. Apparently this is
only available for Microsoft Windows OS. Is this a problem for
connecting Apple computers to HDTVs?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Joe
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 8:07:37 PM

jibbidy joe wrote:
> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050120.html
>
> Cringely expresses some interesting ideas in his latest article (link
> above). He thinks Apple may start offering, for a fee, HD movies for
> download and playback.
>
> I, for one, would love the ability to buy HD movies. I own a fairly
> modest HDTV; Samsung 30" CRT, and enjoy the available HD content.
>
> What are your thoughts on such a service?

It could be cool. You just never know. Steve Jobs declared this the
year of "HD". There's got to be more than simply iMovie HD up his
sleeve. I think Cringely's speculation may pan out. Maybe not exactly
the way he states, but something along those lines just might bring HDTV
content to the masses over the internet.

So, here is another question to all of you:

> What is the recommended solution for connecting my Mac Powerbook DVI
> output to my component inputs on my Samsung HDTV (in 1080i mode)? What
> solution offers a reasonable balance between cost and quality?

Have you looked at this?

ATI's HDTV Component Video Adapter.
http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvadapter

> To confuse this question, I've read quite a bit about PowerStrip, a
> program that adjusts your refresh rate and resolution so that the
> signal from your computer is accepted by your HDTV. Apparently this is
> only available for Microsoft Windows OS. Is this a problem for
> connecting Apple computers to HDTVs?

Sorry, I have no idea.

Steve
January 25, 2005 12:58:57 AM

jibbidy joe wrote:
> To confuse this question, I've read quite a bit about PowerStrip, a
> program that adjusts your refresh rate and resolution so that the
> signal from your computer is accepted by your HDTV. Apparently this
is
> only available for Microsoft Windows OS. Is this a roblem for
> connecting Apple computers to HDTVs?

The resolution capability of PowerStrip is available in the Mac app
SwitchRes X:
<http://www.madrau.com/html/SRX/About.html&gt;
!