Henri Richard sells AMD shares

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
SMS_Ostfriesland_12632_sinking.jpg

4745454b

Titan
Reality check.

He sold 19,597 shares. I wish the article could have given us a guess as to how many shares he has total, but this number doesn't seem like a lot for a VP. At the sale price, he got $280,629.04. I'm sure he took home less then this due to taxes, fees, etc.

This doesn't seem like a sell off to me. Worry if he does this again next week.

n19htmare

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
With a 3.2M salary....Why would you unload shares? and why would you do it NOW?

It does raise a flag. A lot of top execs to do this but don't get mentioned in the news....Henri was.

Something just isn't right.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
That amount could be what he received last year, and not his standing total. Or it could be some of the shares that vested this year. Who really knows.

@n19ntmare -

Intel executives sell their shares all the time, even when it doesn't look good for the company. I remember when Barrett sold upwards of 100k in shares, when Intel was floundering, and although it looked bad, we realized that those shares might expire (stock option type), or maybe he was padding his retirement. Either way, it's not all that uncommon to see VP, Presidents, and CEOs cash out their shares/options.

mpjesse

Splendid
I wish i knew how many shares he has total and what percentage this sell off is of that.

It's a good time to sell, that's for sure. I seriously doubt AMD shares are going to go above $15.50 for a long, long time.

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
AMD has been taking a beating since the release of the C2D chips :lol:

And this is coming from an Opteron 170 User :?
My point is that AMD is sinking, but there is always the possibility that things might sway towards AMD again, I believe that with Amd's new dual socket design, it will once again take the alter to superiority. intel will sooner or later adapt to that for high end enthusiasts, not to mention its the gateway to Octo Core processing, perhaps on early benchies that XQ6700 outperforms the dual platform, just wait until they release better CPU for the dual platform.

fidgewinkle

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
That amount could be what he received last year, and not his standing total. Or it could be some of the shares that vested this year. Who really knows.

@n19ntmare -

Intel executives sell their shares all the time, even when it doesn't look good for the company. I remember when Barrett sold upwards of 100k in shares, when Intel was floundering, and although it looked bad, we realized that those shares might expire (stock option type), or maybe he was padding his retirement. Either way, it's not all that uncommon to see VP, Presidents, and CEOs cash out their shares/options.

I doubt Henri's options are expiring. The standard is 10 years and he hasn't been at AMD that long.

I would agree that one shouldn't read much into it. Henri is a doofus PR guy that is unlikely to be able to make an intelligent decision with the inside information that he has.

mpjesse

Splendid

@n19ntmare -

I doubt Henri's options are expiring. The standard is 10 years and he hasn't been at AMD that long.

I would agree that one shouldn't read much into it. Henri is a doofus PR guy that is unlikely to be able to make an intelligent decision with the inside information that he has.

wow... do you always underestimate people like that?

he's clearly doing better than you.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

@n19ntmare -

Hmm...you are right. He joined AMD in 2002, so those weren't options. I guess he did what a lot of us do when we get stocks at work, a "quick sale". That is...we get the stocks, and sell them almost immediately. I've been doing that for the last 2 years now.

But I still wouldn't go nuts about him selling shares. Only reason it was even mentioned is because he had to sell the shares with a special form (insider trading form, or something like that), since he has direct influence on the company.

@Bluntside -

While AMD is hurting, I don't think a dual socket platform is the way to "right the ship". Getting products out the door in a timely manner, especially to Tier 1 OEMs and the channel, is more important that any performance/speed crown. Get the customers that felt betrayed back, and show them that the delays aren't norm for the course. With them swimming in debt, they cannot just tout a platform for high end enthusiasts, and expect to regain market share. They need to show upcoming products, and release them on time. That's the only way they can really get back on course. As for the benches, and dual sockets - Intel does have the V8 system to go against the 4X4, but either system is pretty worthless, imo. Sure it's nice to have that much power, but at what cost? Higher memory prices for the V8's FB-DIMMS, or higher power costs for the 4X4 power usage? Heck, the MacPro's dual Xeon is a nice piece of hardware, for workstation use, but how many average users would need that much power?

fidgewinkle

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007

@n19ntmare -

wow... do you always underestimate people like that?

he's clearly doing better than you.

Your response makes it clear that you think he's doing better than you, as you have no idea how I am doing. Personally, I have quite a few criteria for doing well. Being a doofus PR guy that gets to frequently make an idiot of oneself in public is not a job I would do for a much higher salary than Henri is making. That doesn't include all of the distasteful things, at least in my opinion, he's had to do to get the job he has now. If the life of Henri Richard is what you aspire to, then you have my condolences.

As for underestimating him, in the context of trying to understand the situation at AMD, it is potentially far more dangerous to make the assumption that he knows what is going on than it is to assume he's clueless. Trying to figure out what is going on at a company based upon the actions of an insider, whose expertise in the company's core business is weak to non-existent, is sheer folly.

mpjesse

Splendid
All I know is this:

He's out there making millions traveling the world and you're in here writing about how much of an idiot he is.

And I think that's all anyone needs to know.

(p.s., and yes, of course he's doing better than I. I measure success in terms of $$$. if you measure success purely on happiness and gum drop buttons, more power to ya.)

martyjs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Or if he's really smart, he's hoping prices will fall because he sold them, he'll then buy them back at a cheaper price and release the new CPU and share price's will go through the roof. 8O

mpjesse

Splendid
The taxes he'll have to pay on his sale wouldn't make up for the money he'd make buying back shares at a higher price. That's assuming AMD share prices don't go above $16... which they won't.

martyjs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Personally, I don't like the idea of shares, they are one of the biggest ball and chains on the neck of humanity. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

How many businesses hold back the latest tech in the name of profit, having said that, a lot of people get filthy rich just buying and selling shares. 8O 8O

Don't know how it works out side of Aussie, but most of our high flying noobs (Business leaders) don't personally buy and sell their own shares, they leave that to the financially advisers and there's usually (they think) a very good reason for buy and selling shares. ( usually to make more money) :( :( :(

TRENDING THREADS