Ahhh, too many options!

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • Windows Vista
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
June 4, 2007 10:32:27 PM

Hey all, just was seeking some advice here.

I'm going to be making my own computer pretty soon and am going to get 4GB of RAM (especially due to Vista), and while I know Windows won't recognize all of it, that's alright with me. Still, I've searched long and hard and have yet to find the answer to my problems (with so many options). I have 4 slots for RAM, and my first choice is between 4 1GB sticks or 2 2GB sticks. Also, I can't decide on the right tradeoff between latency and frequency. There's just too many options!

My only preference on RAM is that it be 340$ or less. I'd like for it to perform well, but I'd rather not pay lots of money for a slight performance gain.

Thanks!

More about : ahhh options

June 4, 2007 10:54:33 PM

Buy 64bit Windows Vista and buy 4x1gb Ram
June 4, 2007 11:07:16 PM

Quote:
Buy 64bit Windows Vista and buy 4x1gb Ram

Does 64 bit Windows Vista cost more, and will there be significant compatibility problems with most games?
Related resources
June 4, 2007 11:07:35 PM

I'm assuming you're getting parts for a C2D machine? If so, memory clock speed is more important than timings and latency. If you were building AMD, it would be more important to get RAM with tighter timings due to the on-die memory controller.

Just to leave room for future RAM upgrades (who knows, maybe enthusiasts will be using 8GB before too long...>_>), I'd suggest getting 2 x 2GB of RAM, instead of 4 x 1GB. RAM prices have dropped pretty significantly, so you might as well go all out before prices rise again.
June 4, 2007 11:08:51 PM

Quote:
I'm assuming you're getting parts for a C2D machine? If so, memory clock speed is more important than timings and latency. If you were building AMD, it would be more important to get RAM with tighter timings due to the on-die memory controller.

Just to leave room for future RAM upgrades (who knows, maybe enthusiasts will be using 8GB before too long...>_>), I'd suggest getting 2 x 2GB of RAM, instead of 4 x 1GB. RAM prices have dropped pretty significantly, so you might as well go all out before prices rise again.

Do you have any suggestions for a specific kit to get? That's what I'm really hoping for (someone to give me a link to a Newegg page or something) =P

Thanks

Edit: is the E6700 core 2 duo a 64 bit processor, and if it isn't, can you still run 64 bit windows on it? Also, what is a C2D system :cry:  ?
June 4, 2007 11:53:15 PM

All the Core 2 Duos are 64 bit processors, they can support any 64-bit Windows or Unix OS because of their extra instruction set.

A C2D system is a machine with a Core 2 Duo processor (hence C2D :D ) and a motherboard capable of supporting it.

This is a decent kit, Patriot is pretty awesome American-made RAM. My friend has 2GB of Patriot DDR2-800 RAM in his AMD system, I recommended it to him.
June 5, 2007 12:07:54 AM

Quote:
All the Core 2 Duos are 64 bit processors, they can support any 64-bit Windows or Unix OS because of their extra instruction set.

A C2D system is a machine with a Core 2 Duo processor (hence C2D :D ) and a motherboard capable of supporting it.

This is a decent kit, Patriot is pretty awesome American-made RAM. My friend has 2GB of Patriot DDR2-800 RAM in his AMD system, I recommended it to him.

Thank you so much!
June 5, 2007 12:15:51 AM

I was looking at those and the 2x1gb is like $140, so 4gb of that is $280. So the 2x2g is cheaper will leave more room for future ram. But also the timing is slower than the other patriot RAM. Do you think I will be able to tighten it to 4-4-4-12 timings?
June 5, 2007 3:26:43 AM

I would suggest crucial rendition ( micron module ) 667mhz if you're using core 2 duo. You can find them everywhere for 29.99$ per GB. so 4x1gb = 119.96$ CND ( probably even cheaper in US) . In case you can't find them, here's a link, http://www.ncix.com/promo/promosale.php?webid=triplea20.... These Ram are 4,4,4,12 i think @1.8v and is capable of doing 900mhz+ at 5,5,5,15 timing. 667mhz @ 4,4,4 12 might actually be faster than 800mhz @ 5, 5, 5, 15 timing. So if you're not going to overclock a Core2duo or using a AMD cpu, you can even change the timing to 3, 3, 3, 10 @533mhz (lowest timing possible @400mhz if you're buying E4xxx series c2d) so its 1:1 ram ratio. BY the time you need upgrades to above 4GB ram, your system would be very out dated and perhaps ddr3 would be very cheap by then. I think 4Gb is enough for everybody unless you're doing CAD or Ram intensive applications. Use the money you save on Geforce 8800 or something. 2gb stick rams are very expensive. BTW, the sale ends at June 5th which is tomorrow.

Windows Vista 64 bit cost the same thing as 32bit, it might even be cheaper since MS is promoting it.
!