Sign in with
Your question

HELP! System slowing down after couple of hours

Last response: in Systems
June 4, 2007 10:42:08 PM

My system begins to extremly slow down, when on for more than an hour, or when i exit a game.

The slowness is so much that i have to reboot. Once i reboot, everything is fine until i do the same thing.

By slowdown i am taking about My Computer taking 10-15 seconds to close. A word document taking around a minute to open, etc.

My Specs:

ASUS A8NSLI- Deluxe
Geforce 6600 GT 128Mb
Corsair 1Gb Dual Channel DDR
AMD X2 3800+
WD 200 GB 7,200 RPM HDD

Any one know what component is cauing this problem?

I am planning to upgrade soon, and need to know what is causing the problem so i can fix it.

Any help is appreciated.
June 4, 2007 11:19:08 PM

what temps is your hardware reaching when you get the slowdown and what voltages? Have you scanned your computer with Malware, spyware, and virus detecting software? what power supply and ROM Drives do you have? have you checked the processes running when you computer is slowing down?
June 4, 2007 11:21:29 PM

How old is your windows installation? You could rule out a hardware issue if you can do a Windows re-installation w/ a HD format. Dont for get to backup everything if you go this route.
Related resources
June 5, 2007 6:47:36 PM

Temperatures are all normal when the slow downs occur.

As for the possibility of malware: I have reinstalled windows w/ HDD format and after i install all my programs / games back to same thing. (even though i dont use a backup of original data).

I have an Antec 450W powersupply that is some what faulty. Sometimes it turns on, other times it doesnt. Also whenever i unplug my power cord, my pc doesnt turn on for ~ 1 day, then turns on randomly.

I have a TEAC DVD Combo drive along with a SONY DVD Writer drive.

I was thinking maybe the problem is from either my RAM or HDD.
June 5, 2007 7:38:59 PM

Quote:

As for the possibility of malware: I have reinstalled windows w/ HDD format and after i install all my programs / games back to same thing. (even though i dont use a backup of original data).

I have an Antec 450W powersupply that is some what faulty. Sometimes it turns on, other times it doesnt. Also whenever i unplug my power cord, my pc doesnt turn on for ~ 1 day, then turns on randomly.

:lol: 

You have a known faulty power supply, and you've narrowed it down to Ram or Hard drive?
June 5, 2007 9:13:52 PM

Quote:

:lol: 

You have a known faulty power supply, and you've narrowed it down to Ram or Hard drive?

Sorry, i wasn't aware that a power supply could cause such problems.
June 5, 2007 9:49:42 PM

Yep, sounds like the power supply, your system is having to kick down everything to run and hardware is kicking off to let other hardware to run, and that's why you get the slow down.
June 5, 2007 10:49:23 PM

It could also easily be a trojan or virus, that is being a resource hog.
June 5, 2007 10:51:19 PM

Quote:
Yep, sounds like the power supply, your system is having to kick down everything to run and hardware is kicking off to let other hardware to run, and that's why you get the slow down.

Dead on. The powersupply is not generating power to certain rails, so its switching power back and forth to other components to distribute power.

Replace the powersupply before it takes one of your parts out.
June 6, 2007 6:45:10 PM

Ok thnx for the help.
June 7, 2007 2:53:16 AM

Quote:
It could also easily be a trojan or virus, that is being a resource hog.

If he has installed his OS on another harddrive and installed every again, then there is a one in a Billion chance that a virus or Trojan would still be there, and if it was then it would have done something by now to completely kill some if not all of the hardware.
!