flgators

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Mobo Asus P5B
CPU Intel Pentium 4 651 3.4GHz
Video Card ATI Radeon X1650 PRO 512MB
RAM 2GB PC2-5300 667 DDR2

If I boot up with the ram I get no beeps and no display. When I boot up without the ram I get 1 long beep and 2 short beeps and no display. Can someone PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

occdavid

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
Without the Ram you are getting the 'no ram' beep code, but with it in no beeps, so it sounds like we should be looking at the video card. ATI shows 350Watt PSU for your card so you should be ok there. Are these all new parts or if used came from a working system? And you double checked your connections? What display are you using? Is this DVI to DVI? and if so it the monitor set to digital?

flgators

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
All the parts are new and I double checked my connections. My VC has a DVI and a VGA outlet. I was using the VGA and I doubled check the DVI with an adapter.Still nothing. Even though I'm getting power to the mobo could it be a bad mobo or bad ram?

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
All the parts are new and I double checked my connections. My VC has a DVI and a VGA outlet. I was using the VGA and I doubled check the DVI with an adapter.Still nothing. Even though I'm getting power to the mobo could it be a bad mobo or bad ram?

Try putting in only the ram and take out the video card
should get a no video card or equivalent beep code
mobo seems to be doing what its supposed to, beeping when no memory and what not, might be video card

best way to check is to add one thing back at a time to get to the problem component

have u also connected any external power that the video card needs (if it needs it at all) from the power supply?

also if u have any spare video cards try those

hope this helps

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006

check to see if the 4 pin plug is plugged into the mobo next to the CPU AND the 24pin is fully covered by the plugyou used.

heltoupee

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Is that an OK processor for the motherboard? That's a fairly new motherboard and an ancient processor.

This page at ASUS's website lists all compatible processors.

P4-651 has been supported since BIOS 0211 or 0201 depending on the revision of the chip.

I'm thinking flaky video card or 1 bad stick of RAM. Try the board out of the case with the processor, vid card, and 1 stick of RAM (try both sticks one at a time). If you can get it to come up, check your standoff positioning in the case, and remount and try again.

flgators

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
When I put just the RAM in (one at a time) I still get no beeps and when I leave the RAM out I get 1 long and 2 short beeps. Also when the VC is in the fan that is on it is spinning so I don’t think it needs any external power. I have also tried the VC from my old computer and get the same results. I also have the 4 pin and the 24 pin plugged in complete to the mobo (just to the top left of the CPU). By some chance could it be a new mobo and an ancient processor that is not working together even thought the processor is new?

heltoupee

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
By some chance could it be a new mobo and an ancient processor that is not working together even thought the processor is new?

I doubt it.

ASUS's site states that the P5B supports that processor since BIOS revision 0211 or 0201. What is the exact model of your board (there are about 5 "trim" levels for the P5B). What is the exact model of your processor (I'm mostly interested in the revision code. Some possible choices are 'B1','C1','D0'. With this info we can pin down exactly which BIOS revision you need. It is acting a little like a system I built where a newer Athlon 64 X2 was not supported by the older BIOS revision on the board I was using.

Are there any other symptoms? Does the power indicator LED on the case stay on when you power it up? Does it blink?

As for the video card, if there is a power connector actually on the card, you'd better have it plugged in. Spinning a little fan is nothing compared to the amount of power some of those chips draw at load.

After a quick look at the board on ASUS's site, there's only 2 power connectors on the board -- the 4-pin processor power connector in the upper left corner, and the 24-pin connector at the middle right. If you have those plugged in, plus any connectors on the video card itself, you should be fine.

heltoupee

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Good. OK, now we need to know the exact model of the motherboard.

Possibilities include:
p5b-mx
p5b-Plus
P5B-VM SE
P5B Premium Vista Edition
P5B-Plus Vista Edition
P5B-MX/WiFi-AP
P5B/TeleSky
P5B-VM DO
P5B-E Plus
P5B-E
P5B-V
P5B-VM
P5B Deluxe
P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP
P5B

Several of which will take different BIOSes than others.

If you are talking about the plain vanilla P5B, then you will need BIOS version 0201.

ASUS has a (not very helpful) guide to finding your BIOS revision here. It won't help in your case, but it will help you find your motherboard revision, which you can use to maybe find which BIOS it shipped with.

Usually, the power light will blink every second or so if there is a power problem, or a processor incompatibility issue. This leads me to believe you have faulty equipment in there somewhere. you've tried 2 different video cards, right? Is your motherboard SLI-capable, and if so, do you have it set in the correct mode (non-SLI)? The P965 chipset (which is used on all P5B boards) is very picky about RAM. It has something to do with voltages, possibly someone else can field this one. I just know you basically have to have approved RAM to get the thing going the first time, then you can tweak your settings in BIOS and pop in your overclocking RAM, if you want.

So, go through the motherboard setup section of the manual one more time to make sure you didn't miss anything. Check your SLI switch (if you have one). Check to make sure your RAM is compatible with P965. Get us the exact model (and possibly even revision, following instructions I linked to above) for your motherboard. We'll get this narrowed down.

irinko

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
you might have a RAM problem. if you use 2 pieces for dual channel the problem should be one of them. try them separately on all RAM slots

heltoupee

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
you might have a RAM problem. if you use 2 pieces for dual channel the problem should be one of them. try them separately on all RAM slots

He's tried that already, unfortunately to no avail.

When I put just the RAM in (one at a time) I still get no beeps and when I leave the RAM out I get 1 long and 2 short beeps.

I'm actually worried that the RAM he has is incompatible with the motherboard. Without knowing timings and voltages for the RAM and the exact model of the motherboard it is hard to know for sure.

heltoupee

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
The light I'm talking about is not on the motherboard. I'm interested in the power indicator that is on the case that you plug into the motherboard. This is the light that blinks when there are errors with the power supply or CPU incompatibility.

Also, could you look up timings and voltage requirements for your RAM. It should say somewhere on the packaging (if you bought them retail), or link us to where you purchased them.

Also, try to find the revision of the motherboard following the instructions I linked you to earlier.

flgators

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
The light on the front of the case does not blink, it just stays on. The voltage for the ram is 1.8. I don't know what the timing is and I don't know if this will help but the latency is 4.

heltoupee

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Well, everything seems to be compatible, then.

That means you have faulty hardware someplace. You've already tried swapping the video card, and that didn't help. It doesn't support SLI, so that's out.

I can't find RAM compatibility (actually by brand and model) on ASUS website, but it might be a good idea to call them up and ask what brands and models of RAM is officially supported. If you don't have that kind, return what you got and buy something off of that list.

Otherwise, I'm leaning toward a bad motherboard.

Try one more time to boot up with 1 stick of RAM, and the processor, heatsink, and video card installed ONLY. no other components but those. If it doesn't go, RMA the motherboard.