Multdrive external HD case USB

tweebs

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I've looked around the web a bit and haven't found a product I really like. I have a media server in my home and continue to add cheep 320 GB SATA hard drives anyway I can. Right now I have 3 internal and 2 external connect by USB2.

I've considered a NAS storage solution but have found a product I like yet. I want to add many more harddrives in the future. I'm not interested in RAID configurations (if I loose a drive I just loose some of my DVDs or HDTV recordings).

I did see a 4 bay NAS case that allowed the SATA HD to just pop in without a case/tray of it's own. (what the SATA connector was designed for) and to release the drive you just pulled the leaver.

Ideally, what I would like is a 4 bay trayless case that holds the drives horizontally in a 2X2 configuration. I would also like the cases to be stackable. (Maybe a case which holds 8 drives vertically would be better 8X1?) Connection could be USB2 or Firewire. The case should cost less then 4 individual external cases.

I thought a product like this would have already existed. The closest thing I can find is SATA BOX USB from Century. Can't find a price. Searching brings up a new flash on thd.ru

or this page in english:
http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news-13980-SATA+BOX+USB+from+Century.html

Does anyone know of a USB2 to multiple SATA connector? I see many 1 to 1 connectors but I would like 1 USB to atleast 4 SATA connectors.

Cheers