randomly losing wireless connection

streborzil

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
I've been having issues with my wireless connections for a few days. I use two WEP enabled connections primarily (at different houses) and both of them seem to lose the internet randomly every few minutes--it doesn't depend on what I'm doing or if I'm even using the internet at all. It drops the connection, my taskbar comes up (one or more wireless connections are available...) and all I have to do it open it, click on my network, and click connect again, and everything is good. However its annoying because until I click that I have no internet. I tried testing some ahem, unprotected networks in my complex, and this doesnt happen on those ones. The last time this happened was on a hard connection and it just turned out to be the modem, but this is two seperate setups entirely and well, it's wireless.

I don't think it's me because I actually formatted Windows two days ago and reinstalled (for another reason) and it kept happening. I have a Macbook (late 2006 model) running Windows XP SP1. I know it's not "officially" supported but I have run it fine for months and this is a new issue. Also this does not happen to any of the other laptops in the house, only mine. Also note this only happens in Windows, when I am in OSX it's stable.

Any ideas?

both are running linksys routers and I have access to both of them.

thanks..