nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Well, any of the ~$40 DVD+-RW drives on Newegg or any other site will meet the criteria you stated. I happen to have the drive to linked to, and it works well, as all do, but I think it's a little loud. I might just be being picky, as a matter of fact I'm sure I am, but I figured I'd tell you my opinion. I'm making a quiet computer and this drive is easily 2 or 3 times as loud as the rest of the computer. Not a factor for most, but it was for me. I'm keeping the drive, the noise is only when spinning disks up to full speed, and it's darn fast when it does, but I'd rather it was quieter.

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
I'm looking for a good DVD reader for under 100$. I'm hoping there's one drive that can both read CDs and DVDs quickly as well as (as an added bonus) burn DVDs. If anyone has any good suggestions, they'd be appreciated.

I heard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106055 is pretty good, but I've also heard alot of bad things about it. Could this be 'the one'? =P

Thanks for the help
for 100.00 you should be able to buy at least 3 good dvd rom's

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Whatever you do, don't buy an LG. Slow and noisy (don't discount the noise factor as well, it'll drive you insane if you do).

I've heard good things about the ASUS DRW1608P, you might want to check that out.

bumster

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
I second the Pioneer drives, I have one and love it. It is silent, fast and I have not found any media that will not work in it. I only wish it supported Lightscribe. At the time I did my research for a drive that supported the most brands of media and Pioneer was it. I had a problem with previous drives (cheap) not supporting several brands of blank DVDs. Also, choosing between PATA and SATA is pretty much down to size of the cables. If you have available SATA ports you may want to consider a SATA drive for better cable management and air flow.

Hope this helps!

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Whatever you do, don't buy an LG. Slow and noisy (don't discount the noise factor as well, it'll drive you insane if you do).

I agree I'm running dual LG burners and not very happy with them. But at 25-30 a peice I'm not heart broken.

If you have the cash I would go plextor.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
DO go SATA. IDE ports are getting hard to come by on new MBs. Most only have 1 IDE port and who knows what the next MB you buy will have, they may phase out the IDE altogether by then. SATA isn't any more expensive, it's cabling is better, and it can definitely move into your next computer.

Daves255

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
DO go SATA. IDE ports are getting hard to come by on new MBs. Most only have 1 IDE port and who knows what the next MB you buy will have, they may phase out the IDE altogether by then. SATA isn't any more expensive, it's cabling is better, and it can definitely move into your next computer.

I take it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151145 isn't a SATA DVD burner. What would you recommend instead of this for a SATA drive?

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

I've heard good things about the ASUS DRW1608P, you might want to check that out.

Funny, cause I have 2 DVD+/-RW. One LG and one Asus. Else then LG being on IDE and the Asus being on SATA, they perform exactly the same. Both are quite silent and recording time is very alike. The only difference would be (I agree with you there) that the LG extract data a tad slower then the Asus drive. So when making DVD copy from disc to disc, I alwayd put the data disc in my Asus drive.

As for the question above, just about any DVD should do fine.

P.S.: Noise is identical for both DVD+/-RW as well... and it's not because my system is noisy at all.

kg4icg

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Funny too because I have A LG DVD-Ram sata and i don't hear a whisp of noise out of it and i got it from Best Buy for 60 bucks. Double sided lightscribe and 48x on cd 16x on dvd.

R COllins