Can't delete system folder

June 2, 2005 1:35:43 AM

I have recently renamed my user account name. However, when I look in
document/settings, my other "user name" is still there. I tried deleting it
but it says it's a system folder and it says that it needs it to run
properly.

Any ideas how to fix/delete it?

Thanks

More about : delete system folder

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 4:00:08 AM

"Matt" <matt@nospam.net> wrote in message
>I have recently renamed my user account name. However, when I look in
>document/settings, my other "user name" is still there. I tried deleting it
>but it says it's a system folder and it says that it needs it to run
>properly.
>
> Any ideas how to fix/delete it?
>
> Thanks

Log on as an Administrator, go to Control Panel\User Accounts. Click the
account you want to delete and click the "delete account" line.

Cajunswabbie
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 10:30:00 AM

Hi Matt,

You can change the name on a user account, but you cannot change the name on
the user's account folder. The workaround is to create a new account with
the preferred name, then copy the old user data to it.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

Note that one step not listed in the article is that after creating the
destination profile you must log into it once first to create the necessary
file structure before you do the copy procedure. To delete the old user
profile account folders, you must first disable that account via the Users
applet in the Control Panel, then logon as administrator to delete the
folders.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/