Sign in with
Your question

New Computer Setup - Suggestions/help needed!

Last response: in Systems
June 5, 2007 2:03:46 AM

Alright, so here's my new setup...I think I have everything I need. Please feel free to insult my awful choices. I do have a few questions on all this though.

Computer:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
BFG Geforce 8800 GTX
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional
nForce 680i SLI 775 A1 Version
SATA WD Raptor 150 GB 1.5 GB/s 10k RPM
Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
Samsung 940 BW
Patriot eXtreme Performance 4GB (2x2GB) 800 Hz
Lite-on LightScribe DVD Burner

Case and Cooling:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Exhaust at back
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So I have a few questions on it

First, are the drivers for all of these things compatible with 64 bit Windows Vista? I managed to find them for the Nvidia 8 series and the Sound Blaster card, but I still don't know which others have drivers for 64 bit Vista (to be honest, I don't even know which components REQUIRE drivers).

Second, are all of the components listen above compatible with each other? Are there any of those that won't connect with the motherboard or any that for some reason never work with each other?

Third, what's the best virus protection for 64 bit Vista? I've seen a few virus protection companies offering 64 bit versions of their software, but after reviewing online reviews of them, few seem to have much positive feedback.

Thanks for all the help =D
June 5, 2007 3:40:18 AM

As an update, I'm still have trouble finding the drivers for the hard drive and the DVD burner drive. Are they out yet for Vista 64 bit?
June 5, 2007 3:42:09 AM

Very nice setup -

Only things I would change is your monitor choice (19" for 8800GTX??),

No need to wait for the q6600 (july 22) since the e6700 overpowers it in general gaming right now (no multithread or very little usage right now for games) and a sweet deal at ~300$

I would get a free Virus scanner (such as avast) that has rudimentary compatibility with 64bit, and switch over in a few months when a non-beta version of a fuller antivir is released.

Overall a excellent build (you might have x-fi driver problems - but that's a maybe)
Related resources
June 5, 2007 3:48:54 AM

Quote:
Very nice setup -

Only things I would change is your monitor choice (19" for 8800GTX??),

No need to wait for the q6600 (july 22) since the e6700 overpowers it in general gaming right now (no multithread or very little usage right now for games) and a sweet deal at ~300$

I would get a free Virus scanner (such as avast) that has rudimentary compatibility with 64bit, and switch over in a few months when a non-beta version of a fuller antivir is released.

Overall a excellent build (you might have x-fi driver problems - but that's a maybe)

Thanks for the comments. As for monitors, I just prefer smaller monitors =P. Don't ask me why, I don't know. As for drivers, I'm still confused as to whether I need drivers for other devices or just the graphics and sound card.
June 5, 2007 4:02:36 AM

I;m pretty sure you need 64bit drivers for GPU/Sound Card, and also the Optical disc drives and HD, someone with more experience with vista drivers can tell you more about that...the x-fi does not deal well with VIsta - i can tell you that for sure.

Why not try a dual boot system?

As with themonitor, a 20" (a mere one more inch) will give you far more pixels (1280 vs 1650)1024/1050
June 5, 2007 4:04:44 AM

Quote:
I;m pretty sure you need 64bit drivers for GPU/Sound Card, and also the Optical disc drives and HD, someone with more experience with vista drivers can tell you more about that...the x-fi does not deal well with VIsta - i can tell you that for sure.

Why not try a dual boot system?

As with themonitor, a 20" (a mere one more inch) will give you far more pixels (1280 vs 1650)1024/1050

Well, the monitor really isn't final. I'll probably end up going to 21 or 22". As for the optical disk drive, I read somewhere that it should be compatible, and that the only thing I would need is a software program compatible with 64 bit Vista for burning (such as Nero 7).
June 5, 2007 12:39:43 PM

X-Fi cards are not friendly with Window$ Vista. You do not need optical drive or HDD drivers.
June 5, 2007 3:25:49 PM

Quote:
X-Fi cards are not friendly with Window$ Vista. You do not need optical drive or HDD drivers.

Thank you all. What's so bad about the X-fi cards? I looked it up on Creative's website and they had Vista drivers from a few days ago. Will they have everything up and working in like, a month?
June 5, 2007 4:01:37 PM

I don't know, I don't work for Creative. They still work with Vista, just not as well as they would if Vista didn't suck.
June 5, 2007 4:25:13 PM

Nice system u have setup there

If your going to run the 64 bit version of Vista u may have some issues with some games and applications as well.

XP right now is best bet for making sure games work correctly. Unless you only want to play Crysis and DX10 games.

You could also consider using 32bit Vista to keep the DX10 and increase compatibility with more applications/games. Most games work on 32bit Vista but not as well as on XP.

And I agree you should go for a slightly larger screen, almost all 20+ inch screens have a resolution of at least 1680x1050 as opposed to 1440x900 for the 19" ones. You could also opt for an LCD HDTV in the 30 inches range, only problem is most of these TVs have lower resolutions of 1366x768.
June 5, 2007 4:53:44 PM

Quote:
XP right now is best bet for making sure games work correctly. Unless you only want to play Crysis and DX10 games.

Yeah, you can always count on XP to work with games but I usually game on Server 2003 x64. Much more stable and noticeably faster.
June 6, 2007 7:07:42 PM

Quote:

Yeah, you can always count on XP to work with games but I usually game on Server 2003 x64. Much more stable and noticeably faster.

Im running Server 2003 32bit on my "file server" (aka stores music) computer, its rock solid, only crashes when power goes out lol

i tried using 2003 when it first came out to play games on, didnt work well at the time, im guessin it has more support now than before.

Quote:

Third, what's the best virus protection for 64 bit Vista? I've seen a few virus protection companies offering 64 bit versions of their software, but after reviewing online reviews of them, few seem to have much positive feedback.

As for virus protection, just get your hands on Symantec AntiVirus Corporate edition if you can, if not then just use regular AntiVirus 2007 or whatever. McAfee is trash, avoid it.
And i think you can also get away with gettin free AV scanner which DeusEx already mentioned.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 6, 2007 7:40:44 PM

Proof, is that 8950GX2 in your sig for real? If yes, are you under NDA or can you talk about it? 8O
June 6, 2007 8:02:16 PM

Quote:
I don't know, I don't work for Creative. They still work with Vista, just not as well as they would if Vista didn't suck.

I read about the Auzentech Prelude 7.1 sound card. Sounds like just what I'm looking for. Anyone know if the drivers are going to be the same as the Creative ones, or will they be better?
June 7, 2007 2:38:19 AM

Quote:

I read about the Auzentech Prelude 7.1 sound card. Sounds like just what I'm looking for. Anyone know if the drivers are going to be the same as the Creative ones, or will they be better?

There is nothing wrong with the Creative board, its the drivers in Vista 64bit that would cause you trouble as they might not work as well as they would in XP Pro or Vista 32bit

you should avoid Vista 64bit as you will have issues running a lot of games in general on it because of compatibility issues.
And Vista itself (32 or 64 bit) has very limited OpenGL support right now and the drivers for the major cards from what ive read use a DirectX viewport to run OpenGL, so in a sense they are emulating OpenGL.
June 7, 2007 2:55:57 AM

Quote:

And I agree you should go for a slightly larger screen, almost all 20+ inch screens have a resolution of at least 1680x1050 as opposed to 1440x900 for the 19" ones. You could also opt for an LCD HDTV in the 30 inches range, only problem is most of these TVs have lower resolutions of 1366x768.

What 20"+ monitor would you recommend? I'm looking to spend under 250$ on it.
June 7, 2007 3:11:20 AM

I suggest the Samsung 204BW for WS, and 204B for Standard
June 7, 2007 6:29:14 PM

Quote:

What 20"+ monitor would you recommend? I'm looking to spend under 250$ on it.

Samsung usually has solid models
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct...
this is a price from a store in Canada in the Toronto area. Prices are in CDN $

best way to really tell is to go into a local store and take a look at the screens they have. Places like BestBuy allow you to return the monitor with no questions if you dont like it. You are going to be staring at the screen the whole time so make sure its a good one.
June 7, 2007 8:03:52 PM

It doesn't matter really as far as antivirus concerns, since almost no viruses work on 64 bit OS, so don't trouble yourself too much over that.
!