Hathorian

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Is there a program out there that can tell me what speed and latency my RAM is running at?

I have DDR2 set at 800MHz and 4-4-4-12 in BIOS and I tried CPU-z to double check it, but it gives me a stupid result (DDR3 - 32-5-10-12).

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
try bios.. Its the easiest thing and you don't have to download anything. You only need to restart yoru computer

Cute... I'm fairly sure that if he's set it in to those timings, than he's set it in bios. Thanks for being completely non contributive.

Though the two suggestions from the 2nd poster are good.
I do wonder why CPU-z flipped out though. Usually it's really good about things like that. Is that the most recent version of CPU-z?

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
It was kind of a joke. Don't take it too seriously. Maybe try downloading the the newest version of CPU-Z or try another version. Don't download the BETA version because it might have some bugs.
ANYways, if you set the the timing manually in BIOS, the timing will be the ones that you set. If you want to be 100% sure, make sure the vdimm is set to the one specified on the manual which would most likely be 2.1v. Some ram can't operate at 800mhz without changing the vdimm to 2.1v.

Hathorian

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
I do have it set at 800MHz and 4-4-4-12 in BIOS. I don't think I was getting those settings though, because I originally had the voltage set to auto (they were only getting fed 1.8V as per JDEC specs) and my RAM says it should be getting 2.1V. The reason I say I don't think I was getting it is that cpu-z was giving me really weird #s. So, i upped it to 2.1V and I think I really am getting the better latencies now, but I can't be sure because cpu-z is still giving me those weird #s.

I have sisoft sandra but I didn't see an area where it tells you the current latencies that you are running. Anyone know where?

I'll try everest as per the post above. Any other programs that show current ram latencies?

Hathorian

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
I'll try PC Wizard 2007. Thanks!!!

I currently have 2 GB of RAM, but I am not sure if I should go out and get another 2 GB or not. I spend most of my time in XP (32) since it is a real pain trying to get stuff to work in Vista 64 right now, and I know that having 4 GB would be a waste in XP 32....sigh. I guess 2 GB runs pretty good right now, so I don't really need 4 GB. As long as prices don't shoot up over the next year or so.

TRENDING THREADS