Sign in with
Your question

Looking For New Case, Cant Decide

Last response: in Components
June 5, 2007 4:02:57 AM

Hi

Im looking for a case upgrade. I currently have a ThermalTake Tsunami silver with window. Unfortunately it became pretty small for me and now I need something bigger.

Here are some things that the case needs to have or else I wont even look at it.

1) Minimum of 4 5.25" bays, at least 1 3.5" external for diskette drive and at least 4 3.5" internal bays for hard drives.

2) Needs to have cable-management (or at least be able to pass the cables from the backtray of the motherboard or some other kind of cablemanagement but it needs to have one)

3)Needs to have a side window

4) Needs to be quiet and come with couple of fans to keep the case cool

5) Need to be available in color black

6) Doesnt need to support 2 PSUs

7) Has to be less than $200 (w/out shipping)

I was currently looking at the Antec P182 Gunmetal and its been the case that fits most of my needs, but everytime I look at it, I see it pretty small for some reason. I have never seen it in a store so I cant really say is small.

I have also heard Lian Li makes good cases, I just saw a couple of them in Xoxide.com but 1) they are really expensive and also 2) I heard they have no cablemanagement at all and this is something Im reallly looking for.

Any ideas will really be appreciated.

More about : case decide

June 5, 2007 4:23:58 AM

I saw that antec case at Fry's Electronics. Seemed pretty cheesy to me ,the door is like a mudflap really not solid at all.
June 5, 2007 4:38:39 AM

have you checked out the antec 900? i just got one and i dont see any need to replace it pretty much ever. standards changes aside.
oh and cooling IS NOT A PROB :wink:
Related resources
June 5, 2007 4:49:49 AM

I was going to suggest the Silverstone Temjin TJ07 or TJ09 (the 09 especially) ...but they're both past your price point...sorry :p . Maybe if you find a hundred bucks on the street or something? :lol: 

My bit on the Antec: The Antec 900 is only mid tower, and it's probably too loud, considering it's all grills and stuff.

Edit: Kinda an obvious option, though it might not be that good for cable routing: The Thermaltake Armors, you can get them pretty cheap now, they're full tower, and can come in black and windowed. Though all the bays are kinda external
June 5, 2007 5:05:41 AM

Hey SLIM....to help with your $$$ woes on a new case...would you consider selling the Tsunami?? I'm in the market, let me know: grizzlyffs@hotmail.com

Thanks
June 5, 2007 6:24:42 AM

Have a look at the Gigabyte Aurora 3D 570. I've got one and it is excellent. Comes standard with 2x120mm rear fans and 1x120mm front
June 5, 2007 6:26:09 AM

Quote:
Hi

Im looking for a case upgrade. I currently have a ThermalTake Tsunami silver with window. Unfortunately it became pretty small for me and now I need something bigger.

Here are some things that the case needs to have or else I wont even look at it.

1) Minimum of 4 5.25" bays, at least 1 3.5" external for diskette drive and at least 4 3.5" internal bays for hard drives.

2) Needs to have cable-management (or at least be able to pass the cables from the backtray of the motherboard or some other kind of cablemanagement but it needs to have one)

3)Needs to have a side window

4) Needs to be quiet and come with couple of fans to keep the case cool

5) Need to be available in color black

6) Doesnt need to support 2 PSUs

7) Has to be less than $200 (w/out shipping)

I was currently looking at the Antec P182 Gunmetal and its been the case that fits most of my needs, but everytime I look at it, I see it pretty small for some reason. I have never seen it in a store so I cant really say is small.

I have also heard Lian Li makes good cases, I just saw a couple of them in Xoxide.com but 1) they are really expensive and also 2) I heard they have no cablemanagement at all and this is something Im reallly looking for.

Any ideas will really be appreciated.

The antec p182 is more than spacious enough. I just built my friends rig with it and it holds a thermalright ultra 120 extreme like a champ. With the cable management you dont miss any space and it really isnt that difficult to work with. I want to tell you as someone who has intimate knowledge of the case that it is easy to work with, i didnt cut myself on anything, and it fit the following without difficulty.

EVGA 680i LT mobo + TR U 120 E
EVGA 8800gts
enermax infinity 650watt<- had to move bottem 120mm fan to other side of separation. This was the only modification necessary only because i didnt connect the cables before i attached the PSU, either way though, it will be a close call.

It doesnt have a side window, a shame since your CM will look like a pro.

One problem with the 900 you may run into, is to get the same CM looks as the P182 you will have to make some holes with a dremel. I own a 900 and it is a great case, for my new build i will be cutting holes in it to route cables. Either case is fantastic, the silverstone Tjo7b is alot of money, however it does fit every need you mention. If you've got the cash, it would be worth it.

Overall though, the P182 matches all of your requirements sans window. Your worries wont be a problem, it has enough room to work in, is quiet, and a pleasure to work with. The 900 likely matches the P182 in noise if you swap out the fans for noctua like i did, however i cant compare them yet since i am still waiting for UPS to deliver my mobo+ram+cpu. In the end, if you have the cash, go with the TJ07b as it is easily the best case out there. Keep in mind though its 3-4 times the cost of the other two.

Hope this helps, ask me anything about the p182 you'd like, I'd be happy to give some directed input.

EDIT: Just read the part about it being less than 200.00. That scratches the TJ07b off the list.
June 5, 2007 2:42:15 PM

Quote:
have you checked out the antec 900? i just got one and i dont see any need to replace it pretty much ever. standards changes aside.
oh and cooling IS NOT A PROB :wink:

Well, I dont really care about the door. There are days that I barely use the dvd drives in my current Tsunami :p  but I have come to the conclusion that is better to have a door than nothing. For some reason I dont see it uncomfortable anymore but more stylish :) 

I checked the Antec 900, but unfortunately, it doesnt seem to have cable management. Also, I download a lot of stuff and sometimes i leave the PC on at nights so I could not tolerate all the lightning coming from the 900.

I just checked the Temjin TJ07 and 09. I have some questions, do they have cable management? Also, I read on a review that having all those fans on doesnt mean more cooling and that you need to find the best spot, I kinda dont like that :S anyways, they go over $200 anyways. I cant afford to pay more than that for just a case lol!

Sorry GRIZZLYFFS, Im planning to keep the Tsunami to move some of my pentium IV components in it.

I also thought of the armor for a long time but then I saw that cable management was really important (more than a big case) so it would be almost the samething as having a Tsunami but just bigger, I would still see all the cables.

I looked at the Aurora, good case but doesnt seem to be what Im looking for.

Eric, It looks like so far, I would be going with the P182. There is a site selling it with a custom built side window so that makes it the best option available. I also looked at the P190 but that thing is waaaaaaay too expensive and also, why do I need 2 PSU ports? when I only need 1 for a single GOOD one. Makes me angry to think that I also waited some time for the P190 but now looking at the price for it...
June 5, 2007 4:12:17 PM

here are a few things that i think would set any case apart from the slew of standard cases...

a)turned slide out hd cage - you can slide the hd cage out of the side rather than toward the back and a removeable bracket for slide in/slide out clip in action.

b) 120mm fan slots all the way around - 120mm fans are generally much quieter and have a massive air flow rating, add that to a fan controller and your set.

c) sealed relativley well - I like to take air conditioner filters from wally world and cut them up to fit the inside of my case, this dulls the noise and keeps your pc parts cleaner

d)a door - optical drives are generally very loud... a door cuts off a bunch of this excess noise protruding directly toward your face (unless you keep your pretty lookin case on the floor) especially if you sound dampen the inside of it like i have (a/c filters from wally world or hardware store)

e) easy access! - a door that clips in with a handle and maybe a lock or somthing is a bonus... i have no idea how many times i wanted to swap out an hd real quick or just give it a quick dusting, and a door with a clipping handle rather than screws makes this soo easy

f)not huge - now i know if you have a ton of components, you're likley to end up getting a massive case... but there are a few out there that'll hold all your crap and are standard atx size tower... unless you're runing a dual socket F mobo ( think there's like one on the market ) then you can keep your case size down... unless you wish to internal water cool (and even then i think you could still have enough room to do so with a standard case.

g)Future modding - I also like a case that allows me a few options with anything i might want to do later. weather it be just adding a few led's or putting a window mod in my optical drive so i can watch the disc spin... i like a case that will hold togeather and i won't have to repaint after dremmeling a few edges (paint chipping)

h)power supply - If the thing comes with a PSU, I prefer it to be a good one and not some crap i'm going to have lying around the house for 10 years as a "backup"

having said all that here are a few in your price range that I grabbed off newegg real quick, trying to stick to the above criteria... (sorry, i don't have an hour to find ya a case :-p)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

oik, some of thoes are decent... but not awesome... i think www.frozencpu.com might have somthing more along the lines of what i described/what you're looking for... hope that helped?
June 5, 2007 4:59:30 PM

i'm sure you prolly don't have a conversion chart on hand... but newegg shows that case as 240 bones... a little out of the price range... interesting case though.

if you were wanting a small form factor case there's the apevia xq-pack2 which is decent.. but it's sff... 2hd cages, 2opticals 1 3.5... i'm guessing you have a full atx though.
June 5, 2007 5:29:09 PM

Thermaltake Armor, FTW. BTW, no case has cable management, that you have to do, my friend. Some cases are just better for it than others. TT Armor has room and then some which will make cable management easier.
June 5, 2007 5:52:21 PM

If you want larger, but still portable, I'd say try the CoolerMaster Centurion series. Five 5-1/2" bays, five 3-1/2" bays, comes with two fairly large, quiet fans, and it's easy to fit nearly anything in there. Nice big window and black mesh give it a rather unique look. Construction is solid as it gets, surviving even the trials of a UPS delivery.

It's not quite as simple for cable management as the Antec p182, but it'll cost you a hundred bucks less, and that can get you a lot of easier-to-manage cables, a quieter power supply, and a bar of bent aluminum going across to make running cable easier.

That, and you don't have that ridiculous looking vent poking out off the top panel.

If you want really honking huge, I'd echo the above poster and go with the Thermaletake Armor series.
a b ) Power supply
June 5, 2007 5:55:26 PM

Quote:
In the end, if you have the cash, go with the TJ07b as it is easily the best case out there.

I've read a great review about the TJ09 and decided I want it. Is the TJ07b better?
June 5, 2007 6:56:58 PM

Yes, they are different models.
this is the TJ07B ^^^^

This is the TJ09b ^^^^

You can see the difference here, the main one aside from aesthetics is the unibody construction the TJ07b uses, also it uses thick alluminum for what should make for a quieter case.

Side note, the P182b does have cable management, so the statement no cases have it is incorrect, it has holes used to route cables behind the mobo.

Here are some pictures of the holes for cable management i pulled off my friends build. The 8pin cpu cord was too short to route behind, so it had to go across everything :evil: 

a b ) Power supply
June 5, 2007 7:27:43 PM

Thanks! I like those rounded corners (useful when cats chase each other in the area) and if it's quieter that's even better :lol: 
June 6, 2007 4:50:45 AM

Eric, I love the third picture from your case. Thats what Im talking about! clean case, no cables! good airflow and you can appreciate the motherboard and everything.

I think so far the P182B is winning this. Thermaltake armor, yeah, as I said, I thought of it, but with all the cables I have on my case, it wouldnt be as cool as everybody thinks.
June 6, 2007 4:58:50 AM

All done without a dremel in sight 8)
June 6, 2007 5:08:17 AM

A bit late, but my apologies, yeah, rereading the reviews supports what you said. Guess I kinda forgot and jumped to conclusions. *bows to the cold hard facts*

Good luck to Slim for finding a case.
June 6, 2007 5:18:59 AM

June 6, 2007 5:24:50 AM

Haven't used the 182, but I really liked the original P180.

It is MUCH heavier, more solid and quieter than the new 900. The 900 feels flimsy and cheap when you have them side by side. The grill/5.25 bay covers in the 900 don't line up properly. Again, flimsy and cheap.

Much of Antec's new stuff scares me. Feels like they are getting away from what made them great. Solid construction.

I really miss the old SX630II Performance Series :(  Makes me scared to try the new TX640. Anyone have one?
June 6, 2007 8:18:25 AM

I own the 900 and worked on the P182, both are very sturdy cases, and the p182 is about twice as heavy as the 900. However, you dont carry your pc more than to the car and back, so it will and should not ever be a consideration. I forgot to mention I modded the bottem fan near the PSU, I had to move it over to the right. A minor mod, but something to remember, CONNECT THE MODULAR CABLES BEFORE INSTALLING THE PSU! That note aside, Mpilch's wealth of knowledge will clear up any lingering questions you may have. He's always a big help!
a b ) Power supply
June 6, 2007 2:11:02 PM

Has anybody tried the Antec P190 case? It just showed up on my local shop's web site, for CAD $411. That's much cheaper than my previous selection (Silverstone TJ09 and Thermaltake 850W and a bunch of Scythe Flex fans). Theoretically it sounds great: 1200W PSU, large, designed to be quiet. It sounds too good to be true. Does anybody know if it's really as good as advertised? Thanks!
June 6, 2007 3:13:20 PM

Whatever dood. The 900 is admittedly made better than a generic $20 case. It is not a terrible case. But it is not the type of case Antec used to build, and it is not made any better than the average $100 gaming case.

In fact, I have an all aluminum generic Antec chinese rip-off case sitting here that is much stronger.

Antec was never known for flashy products. In fact there designs were could be considered boring (I prefer spartan :)  ), but they were quality cases. The same could be said for Lian Li cases and Silverstone products.

With their POS Lanboy case and now the 900, to me they are going for style instead of substance. And for some people, I guess that works :p 
June 6, 2007 5:14:55 PM

Quote:
I own the 900 and worked on the P182, both are very sturdy cases, and the p182 is about twice as heavy as the 900. However, you dont carry your pc more than to the car and back, so it will and should not ever be a consideration. I forgot to mention I modded the bottem fan near the PSU, I had to move it over to the right. A minor mod, but something to remember, CONNECT THE MODULAR CABLES BEFORE INSTALLING THE PSU! That note aside, Mpilch's wealth of knowledge will clear up any lingering questions you may have. He's always a big help!

True, I noticed a black fan in the HDD section and I went like WTF???? where did that came from???

If you could tell me how you did that mod please :) 

Thanks for the tip (modular cables before putting the psu first) :wink:
June 6, 2007 8:20:19 PM

You know how the fan mount for the upper hdd cage came off right? You just slid it off. Well for the HDD one, you need to:
Snap the hooks off until it comes loose
Get rid of that retarded mounting clip,
Move the fan over to the other side of the separation
Mount the fan using regular fan screws.

This will give you more room to work with on the PSU. However tight the fit might be, you should be fine with some HDD in the bottem cage.
June 6, 2007 8:28:23 PM

I don't understand your passionate dislike for the 900. Its a good case, light enough to move, has metal where most cases would have plastic, and it could easily hold me standing on it. Ergonomically its perfect, the power buttons are on the top as well as headphone and mic. The construction is of quality, with no sharp edges and plenty of strength to hold up against bowing. Your opinion doenst make any sense, you're comparing the 900 and the lanboy like they're the same thing, please make a more accurate comparison, as the 900 has none of the flaws you have mentioned (aside from the front panels not perfectly lining up :roll: )

Don't make this thread into a flame on the 900, its a good case and you are alone in your opinion.
June 6, 2007 9:07:01 PM

eric I gotta say great job on the cable management it almost makes me want to redo mine, almost.
June 6, 2007 10:51:56 PM

I used to say mines was good, but when I see people with such a clean case as eric, I go like..... DAM and I though mine was good...
June 7, 2007 3:41:09 AM

hmmm... lotsa Antec fans here. Well I thought to look at NZXT just to see if it holds up at all...

NZXT cases at the EGG
no PSU's inside.

f61
June 7, 2007 4:02:14 AM

Quote:
I don't understand your passionate dislike for the 900. Its a good case, light enough to move, has metal where most cases would have plastic, and it could easily hold me standing on it. Ergonomically its perfect, the power buttons are on the top as well as headphone and mic. The construction is of quality, with no sharp edges and plenty of strength to hold up against bowing. Your opinion doenst make any sense, you're comparing the 900 and the lanboy like they're the same thing, please make a more accurate comparison, as the 900 has none of the flaws you have mentioned (aside from the front panels not perfectly lining up :roll: )

Don't make this thread into a flame on the 900, its a good case and you are alone in your opinion.

Wrong. Many owners have said what I did before I used one.

Here's a fine example of how poor that case is. There's 2 reviews here. One from someone using it stock, and one from someone spending lots of time modding to make it more useable for a clean build.

The build quality and design has dissappointed many more people than me.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Antec-900-bad-g...

I'm not trying to start a flame war. I only do super clean builds with window cases (for obvious reasons), and frankly the materials are poor and its a total pain to hide stuff in this case.

Honestly, I think its good idea for someone to think twice about buying it. Not everyone loves it and its really overhyped.

I really don't care that you like it (I'm sure many people do), because obviously if I didn't like it, maybe someone else here won't either and I might save them some money if my opinion gets them to check the thing out firsthand before they buy.

Whats your problem with that? You selling them?
June 7, 2007 4:07:44 AM

Quote:
hmmm... lotsa Antec fans here.

I don't currently own an Antec case but I have owned them in the past and they tend to be just well built, quiet, sturdy cases and usually are somewhat inexpensive. What's not to like. I had the Performance Plus 1080 AMG, you know the one that every other company copied and continues to copy. Must be doing something right.
June 7, 2007 4:32:50 AM

That was an excellent case :)  Like the old SX1000

I think all the cloning started after Alienware made the design famous.

Thats when all the Chenming/Cheiftec, Aspire and other copies started showing up.
June 7, 2007 4:50:10 AM

If thats gonna get u money, do it as long as its legal :p 
June 7, 2007 4:59:02 AM

How can you fault the cases size as one being of poor quality. So what if its hard to make a clean build? That is up to whoever buys it to decide, and is outside of what the average user will do. The P182 got it right with making it easy to hide wires, but the P180 never got docked points for the lack of it. So why should the 900 be faulted?

I also want to make a clean wiring job, which is why i bought a dremel and checked out sites like this one to show me how to get a nice wiring job. I agree with you that it will be a pain to wire, but thats also part of the fun of it for me. For what it costs, its a good case. There are far worse cases from other companies charging much more (ahem thermaltake) than the 900.
June 7, 2007 5:40:15 AM

How can I fault the quality? Because it is light and cheap feeling like their Solution Series.

Outside what the average user will do? The average user doesn't build a PC, they buy HP or Dell. The average PC builder doesn't spend over a hundred bucks on a case with no PSU. Enthusiasts do.

Some enthusiasts are picky and appreciate hearing the bad, not just the good. I built 2 machines with an EVGA 680i board, E6600 and 8800GTX. One with the 180, the other with a 900.

The 180 was MUCH easier to hide wiring in with no modding. Lots of space behind them drive racks. The 180 is very heavy with nothing at all inside. It is EXTEMELY quiet.

The 900 is so light in comparison I almost threw across the room when I pulled it from the box. It feels cheap and hides nothing. It is not nearly as quiet and a magnet for dust. The inside of the case lacks any kind of design at all. Its no difference than any $20 model.

Yeah....thats somethin' special there for ONLY $119.95 CAN :roll:

That price is from Memory Express for your convience :)  I'm sure you know where the north and south stores (and north warehouse) are in Calgary...

For everyone else who hasn't used these cases.....guess which one is which...
June 8, 2007 6:45:26 AM

I hear ya on the easier to work with. Hands down the p18x is easier to work with. Now, take aside the subjective feel of the other case, it does provide ample cooling, is easy to move around, and is pleasing on the eyes. I definatley agree that the p180 is easy to work with and is a very solid case. Personally, my subjective opinion on the 900 is that i like the style and i'm willing to put the effort in to make it clean inside. Had the p182 had a window I would have bought that without batting an eye.
!