Can't logon as user(Owner) after upgarding XP!

Can't logon as user(Owner) after upgarding XP!

I upgraded from XP home to XP Pro and only ADMINISTRATOR appears as
a logon choice. I can see the three other users on my hard drive with explorer but I can't drag/drop the contents into the new XP! If I try to expand the Owner folder under C:\Documents and Settings\Owner, I get a pop up box that says .

. . . "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner is not accessable Access is denied"

So how can I recover the "Owners" doc's, (as well as the two other user
accounts docs) when I don't have access to that user at logon to enter a
password? The password is known but there is only one user at logon,
ADMINISTRATOR!

Basically I would like to add the three other users back to account choices at logon, or at least drag and drop saved docs/pics/videos/mp3z from those
users!

thanks chris

P.S. I also tried to install this "C:" drive as a "D:" slave in another computer
hoping to xfer files that way, and the same result as above "Access is Denied"
2 answers Last reply
More about logon user owner upgarding
  1. You might have to delete and recreate the other accounts. You can take ownership of the folders and files that you need to move.
  2. I tried 4-5 different GUARANTEED FIXES and none worked I still get "Access Denied" with the exception of the linux cd boot disk which I didn't try.

Most likely If I loaded the linux cd boot disk I would have gotten "PENGUIN" bit again and dumped all my MS OS machines. I loaded Linux Mandrake about 8 years ago and loved it and going BACK (as in reverse) killed me. Don't think I coild do that again . . .

Anyhow took the easy way out and reformatted the whole drive. I know I lost the users and their data/docs but I believe there were other issues that reformatting solved.

Thanks for all the input . . . and it kills me to let this get the best of me, but the owner finally didn't care about whatever they had in those folders/accounts they just needed the machine back!
Ask a new question

Read More

Security Hard Drives Windows XP