rainy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004

Mine is set for 1536MG is that ok?.. or should I change it.. always looking
for a way to make my computer run better :) Rainy

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 07:04:14 -0500, Rainy wrote:

> Mine is set for 1536MG is that ok?.. or should I change it.. always looking
> for a way to make my computer run better :) Rainy

Have tried many different settings for virtual memory. After detecting no
noticeable performance improvements, I return to "let Windows manage." With
this setting, the pagefile can grow "on the fly" (no resetting limits or
restarting required).

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Rainy wrote:
> Mine is set for 1536MG is that ok?.. or should I change it.. always looking
> for a way to make my computer run better :) Rainy

What is an MG? How do you use your system? What software do you typically
run? What is your processor speed? How much RAM is installed? Have you
read http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm?
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

rainy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004

oops typo... ..it's mb... I use my system all the time..I am list owner on a
yahoo group and a large website... I use intensive graphics, as I am a
stationery creator or a creator of anything graphical in nature...not
everyone's cup of tea.. but it's what I do..

I run psp9 Nortons System Works. not the antiviurs! I hate nortons
antivirus :(...I have found over the years that one either loves NAV or
hates it.. bearshare.. :) incredimail.. AVG, Adaware, Spybot, Zone alarm.
Diskeeper Lite, yahoo messenger.. and jp power tools, also cleanup, There
are also other programs on my computer which I use from time to time..

I have over a gig of ram.. 2.2 G CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 2083 MHz (6.25 x
333) 2800+ and I just did read the article.. isn't 2.5 times the size of
ram excessive? thanks Rainy

ps. my biggest problem seems to be resources.. I don't think there is a
connection between resources and ram.. I have heard that it's the number of
programs running in the background.. I have been to msconfig and taken the
check mark out of items I don't think I need.. but still my computer runs
sluggish from time to time..

Rainy wrote:
> I have over a gig of ram.. 2.2 G CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 2083 MHz (6.25 x
> 333) 2800+ and I just did read the article.. isn't 2.5 times the size of
> ram excessive? thanks Rainy

Then you didn't read the whole article. The 2.5 RAM statements is listed as
that seems to be one of the common recommendations. The very next statement
in the article is that 2.5 RAM, as well as a fixed size recommendation, is
wrong in a modern, single-user system. Suggest you carefully read the
entire article rather than scanning for bullets.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

In news:usipMt2ZFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Rainy <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> typed:

> Mine is set for 1536MG is that ok?.. or should I change it..
> always
> looking for a way to make my computer run better :) Rainy

You mean 1536MB, I assume.

There's no answer to your question that's right for everyone. How
much you need depends on your workload and how much RAM you have.
That said, 1536MB is way more than *most* people need.

Read the late MVP Alex Nichol's article here:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

Please reply to the newsgroup

Jim

"Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
> Mine is set for 1536MG is that ok?.. or should I change it.. always
looking
> for a way to make my computer run better :) Rainy

No, it is either too big, too small, or just right. Let the system manage
it.
Jim

rainy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004

You are absolutely right.. I did scan it.. I am slightly sight impaired so
reading at best is hard...I read the part about common recommendations and
then commented on it.. I will make an effort to go back and carefully read
the articile... thanks Rainy ...