My microphone output audio isn't my mic it's my Computers Output Audio

FreakOtaku

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
I have Windows 7 Professional and my Stereo Mix is both disabled and muted so I'm confused as to why my computer is not picking up my microphone but instead my computer's outgoing audio

FreakOtaku

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
On windows XP maybe but there are no such options on windows 7 it goes Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Sound and then it just pulls up my playback devices, recording devices, etc

OK, so you are saying when you plug in the headset into the mic in port, the microphone does not work correct? Do you have front and rear mic in ports? Try both if you do.

Does the sound play OK through the headphones?

Try another microphone, it's not uncommmon for a headset to have the microphone part break or be faulty and the headphones part still work.

OK so W7 differs slightly but you got there in the end and found recording devices - a microphone is just that. I'm in Linux at the moment so I can't check a W7 system but does it not - like XP - offer a test? Also, is it showing the right device as default?

edmond419

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Try reversing your config --

Disable your microphone but enable your stereo mix and see whether the microphone comes in through the stereo mix?

also, please post a screenshot of your recordings tab?

musclynerd

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
I have this problem and its driving me CRAZY, ive signed upto this forum purely because of it as I couldnt find ANYONE with the problem elsewhere...

Ive spent hours tampering with stereo mix and my audio devices and my computer just seems to playback audio and doesn't record my voice at all...It worked fine this morning then just started happening later the same day :S

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
First, go to Control Panel > Sounds and select the 'Recording' tab there.

Now look at the list; there will be at least a 'Line in', and a 'Mic'.

Which hole in the computer is your kit connected to? If your microphone is plugged into the 'Mic' socket then select that as your default.

(There might be another 'Mic' too if you have a built-in one on you computer.)

If it is a USB device then that too should show up here.

When that's done, go to the 'Volume' icon near the clock on the bottom right and right-click on it.

Select 'Open Volume Mixer'.

On this screen, you can mute any channel you don't want to hear and control the volume of the ones you do.

Does that help?

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Okay. Well, give this a try.

First, turn down the volume on the computer to about fifty percent. We don't need ear-drums problems that could render this entire exercise irrelevant.

Right click on the volume icon.

Select 'Recording devices'.

Click on the top one and click on Properties.

Select the Listen tab and check the Listen to this device' box.

Select the Levels tab and boost the volume a little.

Do the same for all the 'Recording devices'.

If you find one that works, set it as default and stop the other devices from being listened to, if you want.

Any improvement?

kbapasserby

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
Click on the Microsoft "start" icon in the bottom left tray.
Type in "microphone" in the search box.
Click "Manage Audio Devices.

in the "Sounds" Pop up Window:

1. Playback
2. Recording
3. Sound
4. Communications

Select "Recording"
Then, Highlight, and double click the name of the microphone.
The Transmit Properties box will pop up.

in the "Transmit Properties" Pop up Window:

1. general
2 listen
3. Levels
4. Advanced

select "Levels"

then click the "unmute microphone icon."
You will immediately hear your voice on your microphone.
And now you can adjust the volume.