Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

USB memory stick recommendation...

Tags:
  • USB
  • Memory
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
Share
June 5, 2007 6:37:54 AM

Hello,
I'm interested in buying a USB memory stick of 4/8GB.
I'm mainly aiming for fast data transer rate: 24MB/s Read (And Higher) 18MB/s, Write (And Higher)

I want to be able to copy fast onto the USB stick, all those DivX/Xvid anime and games I download at my work pc. ;) 

This Kingston stick looks good, but it's only 4Gigs:

http://www.superwarehouse.com/Kingston_DataTraveler_II_...

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsi...

Or this 8Gig stick, but it’s slow:
Read 9-10 MByte/s, Write 2 MByte/s.
http://www.e-shop.gr/show_per.phtml?id=PER.554483

So, which specific stick do you guys recommend?

More about : usb memory stick recommendation

June 17, 2007 7:05:43 PM

Stick with top-name brands, like SanDisk, or Corsair. Actually CompactFlash has much more to offer at 8Gb. 100x (15Mb/12Mb) to boot.

f61
June 17, 2007 7:53:25 PM

Quote:
Hello,
I'm interested in buying a USB memory stick of 4/8GB.
I'm mainly aiming for fast data transer rate: 24MB/s Read (And Higher) 18MB/s, Write (And Higher)

I want to be able to copy fast onto the USB stick, all those DivX/Xvid anime and games I download at my work pc. ;) 

This Kingston stick looks good, but it's only 4Gigs:

http://www.superwarehouse.com/Kingston_DataTraveler_II_...

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsi...

Or this 8Gig stick, but it’s slow:
Read 9-10 MByte/s, Write 2 MByte/s.
http://www.e-shop.gr/show_per.phtml?id=PER.554483

So, which specific stick do you guys recommend?


i have like 6 USB keys from ADATA, Sandisk, EP Memory and OCZ.

The OCZ one that I have is by far the best. It is the OCZ Rally 1 1gb which has since been replaced by the Rally2. They are very well built and EXTREMELY fast.

Other good choices are Corsair and Patriot:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

personally though I would get the OCZ Rally2.

good luck and did you know that you can run some games off of a USB key? I have Halflife1 and Civilization 2 on my rally 8)
Related resources
June 18, 2007 5:01:14 AM

I've decided to go with this:
CORSAIR Flash Voyager GT 8GB Flash Drive

Mainly for its great speed:
Read speed: 34MB/s
Write speed: 27MB/s
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The 16GB version looks cool, but it’s too slow Especially write speed:
Read speed: 22MB/s
Write speed: 7MB/s

However, after reading through some reviews regarding the Corsair rubber USB sticks, I noticed quite a few people claming that the cap is too loose, it can easily fall off and get lost. Once it's gone, the USB connector can brake easily:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The rubber casing is easily removable and runs risk of exposing inside of drive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So, is that's true?
If that's the case I might go for a simpler Kingston stick out of hard plastic which I've tried and are great.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance
June 18, 2007 5:43:18 AM

I love SANdisk :oops: 

If you have vista you could use it as fake kinda RAM
June 18, 2007 7:42:34 AM

I've had that unit in my pocket since the first week they were available here in aus.... I find removing the cap to not be an issue, but does take a bit of force. It's never come off by accident. (And its fast enough for me....)

YMMV....
June 18, 2007 8:41:08 AM

Have you considered a card reader and card combo. That way you can have as much storage as you need. memory cards are dirt cheap these days and seem to be quite sturdy, so when you need more capacity, you can just buy another card.

Plus you can use your large capacity memory card in you digi cams etc
June 18, 2007 1:18:09 PM

Quote:
Have you considered a card reader and card combo. That way you can have as much storage as you need. memory cards are dirt cheap these days and seem to be quite sturdy, so when you need more capacity, you can just buy another card.

Plus you can use your large capacity memory card in you digi cams etc


do you know of any good card reader that can read a 4gb SDHC card?
June 18, 2007 1:41:12 PM

Quote:
I don't have a sdhc card reader myself, but I know they are available and cheap. This one seems to be rated by people who bought it:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=0...

The above for £4 and this 4gb SD for £20:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/123309

Looks good to me (but I am a cheapskate :lol:  )

EDIT: I notice you're in the US so I bet you can find cheaper than that, us brits always seems to pay more on pc bits :cry: 


thnx

can anyone find one of the egg or zipzoomfly or tigerdirect or frys|?

it also has to support CF and hopefully Sony MS
June 18, 2007 9:58:47 PM

@retroborg :) 
8Gb Corsair Voyager GT = überstick
the non-GT merely excellent ;) 

Should be able to squeeze the boot, o/s, pdf reader, and office in there for emergencies. 8)

f61

BTW==> sorry about 1st post, didn't see the speed specs... you would be looking at Solid State Hard Disk for CF cards (ATA-66 minimum) But imagine if you could plug a SSHD directly into the IDE header on the MoBo... can you say ATA133 without a cable?
here's a CF card maxed out
June 18, 2007 11:04:35 PM

@billdcat4 8)

I only found seven of them, since I don't know if you want internal or external, here's the page at newegg.

f61
June 19, 2007 12:12:05 AM

thanks a lot.

it seems that there arent any external ones that also support CF or MS though. A shame

maybe in the future?
June 19, 2007 6:33:02 PM

gigabyte iram anyone?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :twisted:
June 19, 2007 6:40:19 PM

Quote:
gigabyte iram anyone?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :twisted:


i know someone who has the iram. He keeps his paging file or something on it... says its good...
June 19, 2007 6:59:21 PM

I have had the Corsair for about 3 months now. I use it to transfer my home videos back and forth. It has good speed and the rubber housing around the drive is pretty sweet. I have dropped it many of times and by now without the rubber coating it would have been toast.




Motherboard: EVGA T1
CPU: E6600 L646G494 @ 3.7Ghz. 1:1 Ratio Linked & Synced Voltage 1.44 Load Temp 45c
Idle Temp. 25c
SPP:1.45volts, MCP: 1.50volts
Memory: Mushkin PC2 8000 4-5-4-11, 2T Voltage 2.1
Swiftech Water Cooling H20-220
Video: One EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
Power Supply: Silverstone 750W
OS: XP Pro
June 19, 2007 7:09:14 PM

Quote:
I have had the Corsair for about 3 months now. I use it to transfer my home videos back and forth. It has good speed and the rubber housing around the drive is pretty sweet. I have dropped it many of times and by now without the rubber coating it would have been toast.


dude it would have been fine w/o the rubber.

I dropped my 5th gen ipod a lot. today I threw my cell phone at a table. the battery popped out but thats it. Flashdrives have been known to consistently survive the wash, so a little drop aint nothin

its interesting that the drives most advertised for durability are the largest. Which do you think would survive a fall off of the Empire State Building, a Corsair (forget the name) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or this OCZ Mini-Kart http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I say that the much heavier one will hit the ground much faster smashing it to bits while the smaller card will barely get scratched.
!