AMAZING deal, or just normally overpriced?

CamaroShifter88

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Ok, I'm kinda rushed on this decision. I haven't heard much about these sticks, but I see that everywhere I go, it's priced REALLY high, and it seems pretty legit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178149
I'm wondering if I should OK this deal, or pass it up and go w/:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145043
instead. I'm looking at getting a P5K-deluxe as well, if that makes any difference, to OC the hell out of. Does anyone have any takes on which I should go with? The ones that normally cost nearlly $400 can be bought for a bit over $100 after a HUGE rebate and a NICE sale. But, I've only heard good stuff about Corsair's...

CamaroShifter88

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
ya, I was looking at those, because it's a damn good brand. But.. you get what you paid for, and those ones I linked.. are pretty expensive ;D. But I know this doesn't work with everything.

I'm actually getting a e6600, and was planning on OCing it up to about 3.6Ghz, or 3.4 maybe. My only concern was I was thinking of OCing it to about 533 x 6.5 = 3.46ghz. I've never OCed before, and really haven't asked any questions, but I've started studying just yesterday a lot, and from what I understand, if two cpus make two speeds with different multipliers, whichever has the higher FSB typically runs faster, as the rest of the system runs off of that (like RAM). In this regards, I was wondering if I should go for:

533x6.5=3.46ghz
or
400x9=3.6ghz
and if I'm feeling REALLY risky
533x7=3.73ghz (but that's after I get H2O cooled, and I doubt anyone has this running stable regardless..)

Do you have any advise on which of these routes would run all around faster? I'm PLANNING on having 2GB of RAM (bandwidth will be determined when I'm done with this), a 8800GTS/X (not sure), and an e6600. Thanks again for your help.

G

Remember that anything over 450mhz is getting pretty hardcore on 965 chipset.(don't know if that's what you are using).

Also, the bandwith won't help C2D all that much. I run my CPU at 8X450 because 9 X400 isn't stable(anything close to 400 is border line on P5B-Dlx because of different FSB Strap being used).

If you are shooting for the 3.6ghz with a E6600, I suggest getting DDRII-1066 at most and a good low latencie 800 should be plenty.