HDTV with regular TiVo

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
January 23, 2005 11:05:32 AM

Right now I have a standard TV, analog cable, and a series 1 Tivo.

I am considering purchasing an HDTV with a cablecard slot for viewing HD
/digital cable.

Does anyone know if I can chain the cable connection from the wall, to
the Tivo, and then to a HDTV w/ cablecard? (I realize that my Tivo will
only record standard def.)

I guess my question is: does the Tivo pass a digital cable signal
through it?

-Rod

More about : hdtv regular tivo

Anonymous
January 23, 2005 1:12:49 PM

On 1/23/05 10:05 AM, in article CZPId.15356$7i4.3253@fe07.lga, "Rod"
<dont@email.me> wrote:

> I guess my question is: does the Tivo pass a digital cable signal
> through it?
----

I have a Comcast HD box connected to a series 1 Tivo. I can tune an HD
channel and get the desired show output via S-Video to the TV.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 1:26:28 PM

In article <BE192921.139C3%gene@pc-topgun.com>,
Gene Plantz <gene@pc-topgun.com> wrote:

> > I guess my question is: does the Tivo pass a digital cable signal
> > through it?
> ----
>
> I have a Comcast HD box connected to a series 1 Tivo. I can tune an HD
> channel and get the desired show output via S-Video to the TV.

But are you getting the HD signal to the TV, or are you getting a
downcoverted 480 (either p or i) signal?

January 23, 2005 2:02:54 PM

> I have a Comcast HD box connected to a series 1 Tivo. I can tune an HD
> channel and get the desired show output via S-Video to the TV.

Good to hear. You have to turn the Tivo off for it to pass the cable
signal, right?
January 23, 2005 5:10:52 PM

"Rod" <dont@email.me> wrote in message news:CZPId.15356$7i4.3253@fe07.lga...
> Right now I have a standard TV, analog cable, and a series 1 Tivo.
>
> I am considering purchasing an HDTV with a cablecard slot for viewing HD
> /digital cable.
>
> Does anyone know if I can chain the cable connection from the wall, to the
> Tivo, and then to a HDTV w/ cablecard? (I realize that my Tivo will only
> record standard def.)
>
> I guess my question is: does the Tivo pass a digital cable signal through
> it?
>
> -Rod

Why not put a splitter in the line to send a seperate line to each.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 5:19:36 PM

On 1/23/05 1:02 PM, in article VzSId.15777$VB6.12043@fe07.lga, "Rod"
<dont@email.me> wrote:

>> I have a Comcast HD box connected to a series 1 Tivo. I can tune an HD
>> channel and get the desired show output via S-Video to the TV.
>
> Good to hear. You have to turn the Tivo off for it to pass the cable
> signal, right?

-----

????

No, I just use it like any other Tivo connected to a cable box. The HD
signal comes in from Comcast to the HD Motorola box. From the Moto box, I
use S-Video to the Tivo. From the Tivo, I use S-Video to the TV (actually a
switch box.... But let's keep it simple). Comes out pretty good on the TV.

I also have a Humax Tivo with HD coming in to it. This Tivo offers 480P
output to the TV and looks good as well.

Gene
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 5:20:54 PM

On 1/23/05 11:26 AM, in article
michelle-9D97BF.10262823012005@news.west.cox.net, "Michelle Steiner"
<michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

> But are you getting the HD signal to the TV, or are you getting a
> downcoverted 480 (either p or i) signal?
----

No, you are not getting HD. He didn't ask that..... It DOES pass the signal
and can be used like any other Tivo minus the HD benefits.
January 24, 2005 10:11:47 AM

> No, I just use it like any other Tivo connected to a cable box. The HD
> signal comes in from Comcast to the HD Motorola box. From the Moto box, I
> use S-Video to the Tivo. From the Tivo, I use S-Video to the TV (actually a
> switch box.... But let's keep it simple). Comes out pretty good on the TV.

Ok, I think you misunderstood my question. I was wondering if you can
have the coax cable from the wall going into the tivo first, then a coax
cable coming from the tivo and going into the HD tuner.

For tivo to pass a coax signal through it, you usually have to turn it
off (easy to do on Sony Tivos). I am just wondering if Tivo passes an
unadulterated signal through it.

-Rod
January 24, 2005 10:12:20 AM

> Why not put a splitter in the line to send a seperate line to each.

Obviously that would work, but I try to avoid splitters as they degrade
the signal. It may affect picture quality.

-Rod
January 24, 2005 5:03:54 PM

>> Why not put a splitter in the line to send a seperate line to each.
>
> Obviously that would work, but I try to avoid splitters as they degrade
> the signal. It may affect picture quality.
>
> -Rod

I think in the end you'll find that your installation will require
separate lines to each tuner. I got several Replays and they do.

Could be wrong
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 8:31:06 PM

Rod wrote:

>> No, I just use it like any other Tivo connected to a cable box. The HD
>> signal comes in from Comcast to the HD Motorola box. From the Moto box, I
>> use S-Video to the Tivo. From the Tivo, I use S-Video to the TV
>> (actually a
>> switch box.... But let's keep it simple). Comes out pretty good on
>> the TV.
>

> Ok, I think you misunderstood my question. I was wondering if you can
> have the coax cable from the wall going into the tivo first, then a coax
> cable coming from the tivo and going into the HD tuner.
>
> For tivo to pass a coax signal through it, you usually have to turn it
> off (easy to do on Sony Tivos). I am just wondering if Tivo passes an
> unadulterated signal through it.
>
> -Rod

Not if you want to record any of the digital non-HD channels. The
Series 2 Tivo only has an analog cable ready tuner unless I am way off
base. I can't answer your question, but I figure I should add in my two
cents on my HD setup. I have Comcast cable - coax goes to the HD capable
set top box (STB), 2 signal paths out of STB - component to A/V receiver
and then TV for HD and general TV watching, S-Video to the Tivo box for
recording programs, Tivo is set up for remote IR channel switching of
the STB. I may have to cave in and get a HD DVR from Comcast so I can
record HD stuff (and maybe better SD picture), but not sure if the HD
DVR STB also has simultaneous S-Video output so I can still use my Tivo.

I think the real answer is that this all gets too damn complicated...

Alan F
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:06:03 AM

On 1/24/05 9:11 AM, in article nh8Jd.18866$6d6.232@fe07.lga, "Rod"
<dont@email.me> wrote:

> Ok, I think you misunderstood my question. I was wondering if you can
> have the coax cable from the wall going into the tivo first, then a coax
> cable coming from the tivo and going into the HD tuner.
---

That is not my setup so I cannot answer.

I feed the Cable box from the wall outlet, then out to the Tivo with S-Video
*and* component cable to the TV for HD. Just use the TV controls to switch
input to view HD if the Tivo is tuned to HD. Otherwise, view the input from
the Tivo.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 3:16:07 PM

"Rod" <dont@email.me> wrote in message news:CZPId.15356$7i4.3253@fe07.lga...
> Right now I have a standard TV, analog cable, and a series 1 Tivo.
>
> I am considering purchasing an HDTV with a cablecard slot for viewing HD
> /digital cable.
>
> Does anyone know if I can chain the cable connection from the wall, to
> the Tivo, and then to a HDTV w/ cablecard? (I realize that my Tivo will
> only record standard def.)
>
> I guess my question is: does the Tivo pass a digital cable signal
> through it?

Yes and No.

Standalone Tivos don't pass cable signals straight through unless you turn
them off. When on they are recording into a buffer (allowing you to pause)
and then passing only the channel you are tuned to on channel 3 or 4. You
will need a splitter to do keep the Tivo on and watch HD.

Brad Houser
January 29, 2005 2:08:06 PM

Well, I now have HDTV through Charter cable (currently 8 channels in HD)
and it works fine to go from the wall jack to the standard TiVo and then
to the HD tuner. The only gotcha is that the Tivo has to be "off" in
order to pass the cable signal.

-Rod
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 1:45:02 AM

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:08:06 -0800, Rod <dont@email.me> wrote:

>Well, I now have HDTV through Charter cable (currently 8 channels in HD)
>and it works fine to go from the wall jack to the standard TiVo and then
>to the HD tuner. The only gotcha is that the Tivo has to be "off" in
>order to pass the cable signal.
>
>-Rod

I don't know of ANY Tivo enabled hardware that will 'record' highdef
with or without compression. Its my understanding that uncompressed
hidef as in a two hour movie would take about 600 Gigs of disk. Its
looks like, because of the size, a hd vcr could handle it. Marantz
makes a model MV8300P which claims it can but its not Tivo.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 3:35:45 AM

Diver wrote:
> I don't know of ANY Tivo enabled hardware that will 'record' highdef
> with or without compression.

It's broadcast compressed.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 9:34:53 AM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 00:35:45 GMT, "Steve K." <steve@nodamnspam.com>
wrote:

>Diver wrote:
>> I don't know of ANY Tivo enabled hardware that will 'record' highdef
>> with or without compression.
>
>It's broadcast compressed.

OTA doesn't seem to be.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 2:59:04 PM

Diver wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 00:35:45 GMT, "Steve K." <steve@nodamnspam.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Diver wrote:
>>
>>>I don't know of ANY Tivo enabled hardware that will 'record' highdef
>>>with or without compression.
>>
>>It's broadcast compressed.
>

> OTA doesn't seem to be.

OTA is compressed from (1080i) 1.485 Gbps down to from 12 to 17 or so
Mbps but lets say 19.34 Mbps, the entire capability of a 6 MHz broadcast
channel using 8-VSB.

At 19.34 Mbps that is a compression ratio of 77 to 1 just doing the
math but at

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/hdtv2.htm

they say it is only 55 to 1 so I may be missing something.

Anyway it is quite a bit and when MPEG4 is used it is more, 30 to 100% more.

Bob Miller
January 30, 2005 8:00:04 PM

Hi,
<<Its my understanding that uncompressed hidef as in a two hour movie would
take about 600 Gigs of disk.>>

I just got the Scientific Atlanta 8000 HD receiver from Time-Warner. It has
a 160 GB capacity for 20 hours of high definition programming (or 180 hours
of SD, not of course both!!) Superb recording quality. It is so fortunate
that T-W offers this exciting new box. The model 8300 has superceded the
8000.
Roger
!