Is My Liberty Going To Explode?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I've been reading about how the Enermax Liberty line, especially the 620w model, are very picky about the power they're given. Enermax says if you use a UPS in conjunction with a psu that has an active PFC it has to output a true sine wave, not a simulated sine wave. I've also heard that the UPS I'm thinking about getting, the APC BR1500, does in fact use a simulated sine wave. The only APC UPS' I've seen that state they use a true sine wave are the Smart-UPS units, and a Smart-UPS with the same output as the BR1500 would cost about $500.

So, what should I do? I can't return the Liberty, since I bought it in late December. I have to buy a UPS, there's no question about that, but I really don't want to drop $500 on one. If I get a replacment PSU I would spend about $200 on a 750w Silverstone Zeus, 750w PCP&C Silencer, or a highend Zippy or Etasis unit, assuming I can find one in the States. I mean, if I'm going to buy ANOTHER psu, I might as well make it a major step up from my last one. Getting a new psu wouldnt completely solve my problem, since all power supplies with active PFC's should be used with a true sine wave, but the Liberty's seem to die explosively alot more often then other units when used with simulated sine wave UPS'.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
The smart-ups are much better units, better monitoring utilities etc. If you need a ups, that would not be a bad choice.

OTOH, can you get the br1500 and then return it if it does not satisfy?

Check out the warranty on the apc website, give them a call. even here in AUS, they are a local call.... and helpful.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I guess I could try it out, but going through the whole return process is a hastle.

I've read the their "warranty" several times, and if my computer is damaged whilst plugged into the unit I *should* either get the cash value of the parts damaged back, or new parts.

I've been looking around and I can an SUA1500, the Smart-UPS equivalent of the BR1500 for around the same amount price. The only problem with getting a refurb is that I don't get the equipment protection thing from APC, nor do I get their warranty.

Oh, and wtf? Smart-UPS units weight like 60+ pounds! I'm going to end up paying like $100 in shipping if I buy one...

f61

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
Thats why there's CC, FRY's, Staples, et al. You walk-in you buy, you leave. no shipping charges. This is one of those items left for Brick and Mortar. Its like... would you buy a 24 pack of AA's for $5 and pay $6 S/H, or would you go to W-Mart and just spend $8.

f61

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
The only problem with that is that the SUA1500 is a UPS ment for server and crap, I can't find it in any of the big box stores like BB, CC, ect. I did find it on Fry's site, but I'm not sure they stock it in their stores...

I am probably going to have to find a brick and mortar store I can buy my UPS from though. Almost every review I've read about the SUA1500 is something along the lines of "Great UPS, tons of power." for the Pro's, and "Massivly heavy, expensive, and *insert shipping company here* completly destroyed the first one sent to me" for the Con's. Apparently they don't like heavy boxes. :roll: