Help me choose a TFT, $300-400 range

eroman

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
(don't know if this is the right section to post but here goes)
I will be doing a transition from CRT (SM 959NF, 19') to a TFT display and I would appreciate suggestions on what is good on the market. I've been reading reviews and comparisons for the last week and I don't feel like I can make a good choice by myself.

I use my monitor mainly for watching movies and series/shows (meaning both widescreen and 4:3 fullscreen media, rez is 1024x768). I am neither a hardcore gamer, nor a graphic designer. Nevertheless, I still want a monitor with good reaction times and nice colours and contrast (yeah rigth). You never know when you'll want to play some CS or do some photoshopping. What I am really afraid of is visible artifacts around lateral motions in movies due to poorly controlled overdrive or whatever reason, also stuff like uneven lighting of the panel.

On paper I like the Samsung 971P model - http://www.prad.de/en/guide/screen3142.html , though probably it's a bit expensive. I read somewhere that PVA "lags"?. I don't really care for the type of matrix, a friend of mine has an old 17' Eizo tft (m1700) with TN and it looks great to me, apart from the visible pixel borders. I don't know if I want widescreen (since I watch 4:3 shows, and how about 4:3 games?), but one should be 20' or higher to compensate for vertical size. I also don't care for brands as long as the product is good.
So please suggest a good 19' or 20' display (20' has smaller pixels, right?), TN matrix is ok as long as there are no noticable artifacts. Also, don't feel pressured by the 400$ top, I may pay some more if it is worth the price jump.

eroman

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I've been reading the forum for a while and I'm leaning towards a Samsung display, either a 4:3 20', or a widescreen 22'.
I would like some experienced info from ppl with with the 226BW model - does it support in any way picture resizing to 4:3 when it comes to games?
And it sais in the stats that it has a dynamic contrast of 3000:1, is this bothersome to the eye when watching movies (I mean isn't it obviously exagerated)? Also, what about interpolating when resizing, is it a bearble visual experience with the 226bw and the 20' models (e.g. 204B)?

p.s. still looking for a good PVA solution, but TNs seem to offer a lot of bang for the buck.
p.p.s. I live in Eastern Europe so any sales or promotions you may have in mind probably won't matter