How'd they do that?? Got demos for the old-timers

Ok guys, I learned how the record demos, and got two. They are posted
in alt.binaries.games.quake. I didn't think to get a link, sorry.

First, the movement I'm taking about is probably best shown on the
second demo. Toward the end, the player I was following did a 180. I
don't see how he did that so precisely. Sorry about jumping around on
the first demo, but I think you'll get the idea.

On a side note, I was surprised at how the demos looked with I played
them back. I'm running with everything stripped down for maximum
framerate, and I thought the demos would look the same way.

I'll try to go get a link for a follow up message.

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 21:13:14 +0100, "EvilBill" <evilbill25@freeuk.com>
wrote:

>Tremble ye! for upon this sandbank of Apophis Sivad
><Rayzer59@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Ok guys, I learned how the record demos, and got two. They are posted
>> in alt.binaries.games.quake. I didn't think to get a link, sorry.
>>
>> First, the movement I'm taking about is probably best shown on the
>> second demo. Toward the end, the player I was following did a 180. I
>> don't see how he did that so precisely. Sorry about jumping around on
>> the first demo, but I think you'll get the idea.
>>

>Maybe he had his mouse sensitivity whopped *way* up? I can't get the
>binaries NG so I can't view the demos, sorry.
I have trouble with that theory, though it was my first thought. When
the players I've followed do this "snap" 90 or 180 degree movement,
they seem to have the regular mouse movement as they sight in to
shoot.

On a side note, what do "mouse look" "free look" and "center view"
do? I don't have these bound and haven't been using them, and
frankly, haven't researched their use. I'll probably get a better
answer here anyway.

ALSO - does anyone know what happen to DUNGEON server. It has
disappeared on me.

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 04:43:45 +0100, "EvilBill" <evilbill25@freeuk.com>
wrote:

>Tremble ye! for upon this sandbank of Apophis Sivad
><Rayzer59@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 21:13:14 +0100, "EvilBill" <evilbill25@freeuk.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe he had his mouse sensitivity whopped *way* up? I can't get the
>>> binaries NG so I can't view the demos, sorry.
>> I have trouble with that theory, though it was my first thought. When
>> the players I've followed do this "snap" 90 or 180 degree movement,
>> they seem to have the regular mouse movement as they sight in to
>> shoot.
>>
>> On a side note, what do "mouse look" "free look" and "center view"
>> do? I don't have these bound and haven't been using them, and
>> frankly, haven't researched their use. I'll probably get a better
>> answer here anyway.
>>

>'Mouse look' binds a key to hold down to use the mouse for looking
>around, if for some strange reason you're got that turned off. 'Free
>look' is the toggle that turns mouse looking on and off. 'centre view'
>is a key that snaps your view back to the default looking straght ahead
>if you were, say, looking up to pick off a camper.

Thanks for the answers to the "look" questions, EvilBill. Love to see
ya'll folks that speak "The King's English" (or should that be The
Queen's?) correct our spelling and put us in que.

mack

I have viewed the demos and to tell the truth I saw nothing out the ordinary
in them. I will watch a couple more times but looked pretty standard to me.
"Sivad" <Rayzer59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok guys, I learned how the record demos, and got two. They are posted
> in alt.binaries.games.quake. I didn't think to get a link, sorry.
>
> First, the movement I'm taking about is probably best shown on the
> second demo. Toward the end, the player I was following did a 180. I
> don't see how he did that so precisely. Sorry about jumping around on
> the first demo, but I think you'll get the idea.
>
> On a side note, I was surprised at how the demos looked with I played
> them back. I'm running with everything stripped down for maximum
> framerate, and I thought the demos would look the same way.
>
> I'll try to go get a link for a follow up message.

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 02:48:31 GMT, "MacK" <mtr@nc.rr.com> wrote:
I thought that might be the case. I think that maybe I turned down my
mouse so much that I couldn't do a quick turn, and don't recognise
good control when I see it - of course I am still a noob.

I have purchased a decent mouse, and will turn the sensitivity back up
some and see what I can do.

I'm still looking for answers to what mouse look, free look, and
center view are and how I should use them.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my post and giving your opinion.

>I have viewed the demos and to tell the truth I saw nothing out the ordinary
>in them. I will watch a couple more times but looked pretty standard to me.
>"Sivad" <Rayzer59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ok guys, I learned how the record demos, and got two. They are posted
>> in alt.binaries.games.quake. I didn't think to get a link, sorry.
>>
>> First, the movement I'm taking about is probably best shown on the
>> second demo. Toward the end, the player I was following did a 180. I
>> don't see how he did that so precisely. Sorry about jumping around on
>> the first demo, but I think you'll get the idea.
>>
>> On a side note, I was surprised at how the demos looked with I played
>> them back. I'm running with everything stripped down for maximum
>> framerate, and I thought the demos would look the same way.
>>
>> I'll try to go get a link for a follow up message.

On 7/1/2004 8:43 PM EvilBill brightened our day with:

>Tremble ye! for upon this sandbank of Apophis Sivad
><Rayzer59@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 21:13:14 +0100, "EvilBill" <evilbill25@freeuk.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Maybe he had his mouse sensitivity whopped *way* up? I can't get the
>>>binaries NG so I can't view the demos, sorry.
>>>

>>I have trouble with that theory, though it was my first thought. When
>>the players I've followed do this "snap" 90 or 180 degree movement,
>>they seem to have the regular mouse movement as they sight in to
>>shoot.
>>
>>On a side note, what do "mouse look" "free look" and "center view"
>>do? I don't have these bound and haven't been using them, and
>>frankly, haven't researched their use. I'll probably get a better
>>answer here anyway.
>>

>'Mouse look' binds a key to hold down to use the mouse for looking
>around, if for some strange reason you're got that turned off. 'Free
>look' is the toggle that turns mouse looking on and off. 'centre view'
>is a key that snaps your view back to the default looking straght ahead
>if you were, say, looking up to pick off a camper.

Those mouse look binds are a legacy holdover from, like 8 years ago back
when there were keyboard only players who found it to difficult to use
the mouse but occasionally wanted to give it a try looking around.
Hehe, keyboard only, waxing nostalgic.

--
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

- Inigo Montoya
Steve [Inglo]

"Sivad" <Rayzer59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok guys, I learned how the record demos, and got two. They are posted
> in alt.binaries.games.quake. I didn't think to get a link, sorry.
>
> First, the movement I'm taking about is probably best shown on the
> second demo. Toward the end, the player I was following did a 180. I
> don't see how he did that so precisely. Sorry about jumping around on
> the first demo, but I think you'll get the idea.
>
> On a side note, I was surprised at how the demos looked with I played
> them back. I'm running with everything stripped down for maximum
> framerate, and I thought the demos would look the same way.
>
> I'll try to go get a link for a follow up message.

I didn't see the demos but doing a 180 is a basic skill. Good players look
behind them once in a while, particularly in a free for all.

When I first started playing I got the advice, "Turn up your mouse
sensitivity as high as you can stand it. When you get used to it, turn it up
some more." I think it was good advice.

--
Cycho{HHR}
http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 22:24:23 GMT, "Cy Edmunds"
<cedmunds@spamless.rochester.rr.com> wrote:

>"Sivad" <Rayzer59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ok guys, I learned how the record demos, and got two. They are posted
>> in alt.binaries.games.quake. I didn't think to get a link, sorry.
>>
>> First, the movement I'm taking about is probably best shown on the
>> second demo. Toward the end, the player I was following did a 180. I
>> don't see how he did that so precisely. Sorry about jumping around on
>> the first demo, but I think you'll get the idea.
>>
>> On a side note, I was surprised at how the demos looked with I played
>> them back. I'm running with everything stripped down for maximum
>> framerate, and I thought the demos would look the same way.
>>
>> I'll try to go get a link for a follow up message.
>
>I didn't see the demos but doing a 180 is a basic skill. Good players look
>behind them once in a while, particularly in a free for all.
>
>When I first started playing I got the advice, "Turn up your mouse
>sensitivity as high as you can stand it. When you get used to it, turn it up
>some more." I think it was good advice.
Somewhere I read that the biggest mistake beginners make was to have
the sensitivity up too high. I've got a good mouse now, and I'm
cranking it up.

EvilBill, that was not a complaint or criticism, it was a
acknowledgement that we Americans are speaking a bastardized version
of the language that rightfully is yours, not ours.

Be good.

mack

I feel I'm a decent player and I use low as hell mouse settings. With
sensitivity up high you can't control as well in small slow move or even
large fast moves. If I need to make a snap move i can do it by a quick snap
on the mouse but with your sens up high you can't do small little moves to
aim as well and the like.