A broken lock

lordtako

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I upgraded the motherboard, CPU, and RAM in my computer. Prior to this I set in device manager my IDE controller to standard so that I could switch the hard drive over with a minimum of fuss. The previous CPU was an AMD and this is an Intel, so the hal was different. To remedy this I popped in the windows XP CD and had the core files replaced. I can boot now but it wants an activation. I expected this having changed so much of the computer but when I click on the yes button I get the desktop and my mouse cursor and that's it. No keyboard commands work. In safe mode it doesn't want to boot, saying that it cannot be activated in safe mode reboot and try again. I can, by furiously mashing ctrl+alt+del, get a task manager to open giving me the run command and general access to the system. What can I do to get the rest of the activation to work?

lordtako

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I have had some limited success by booting into safe mode with command prompt and running WGAKILL.exe. While this has allowed me to boot the machine and use most of the functionality some very important things are broken. IE will not work, and windows update is rather retarded. In general I would not recommend this course of action. It feels like I lobotomized the computer and replaced its brains with silly putty.

TRENDING THREADS