Space problems with Dell Inspirion 910

We recently purchased a Dell Inspirion 910. It has only an 8-Gb solid state
hard drive which is almost full (595Mb Free).

The problem began when I attempted to install Pinnacle Studio) which
aborted for some reason during the install and of course leaving a mess.
I would not uninstall because it was not yet registered in the add/remove
list.

The next thing that happened was that McAfee attempted an update ...
during the update I got messaged like "swap space low - adjusting" and
then the "not enough disk space.

I have removed all programs and files that I don't need or want but still
not enough space to do anything useful.

Defrag "analyze" works and says the disk needs to be defragmented but
when I click on "defrag" the system responds with "NOT ENOUGH DISK SPACE"
and the program halts.

I hate to reformat and reinstall because dell may have put some things on that are necessary but that I don't know about "YET!"

Can anyone give me some advise on how to really strip this puppy down?

Dell "t e c h support" was useless. They took over the machine and deleted one program.

I have an external 230-Gb external USB hard disk and an external DVD/DC
(lightscribe enabled) USB drive.

Any help would be appreciated ... thanks in advance!
2 answers Last reply
More about space problems dell inspirion
  1. Sounds like it ran out of disk space during the Pinnacle Studio install (did you check the drive space required?), If Pinnacle has probably left a load of (temp) garbage files on the drive, try running a drive clean or install and run CCleaner.
  2. MrLinux said:
    Sounds like it ran out of disk space during the Pinnacle Studio install (did you check the drive space required?), If Pinnacle has probably left a load of (temp) garbage files on the drive, try running a drive clean or install and run CCleaner.

Thanks for the response. I did both and I still have only about 600Mb free.

Yes I checked the drive space required and that free [and so did the program just prior to "click 'ok' to install". I did, IT didn't.

There are lots and I mean lots of text (file.txt) in both the windows directory
    and the I386 directory. Can I delete these? (safely!?) I viewed a few of them and they seem like remnants of install scripts.

I tried Dell, one more time and they said to either get the 16Gb hard drive at a cost of nearly $200.00 or install the program on another external drive. They just couldn't understand the "not enough free space". Studio is not the problem - I installed it on another computer and it works fine.
    What I need to do is get rid of some junk on the netbook. I had about 1.6Gb free before this mess. I have deleted most of the programs that Dell had installed (trials etc.) but to no avail so far. I may have to uninstall
    McAfee.

Thanks again
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Dell Hard Drives Windows XP