Sign in with
Your question

Setting up LAN Questions

Last response: in Networking
October 29, 2007 3:01:37 AM

I've decided I want to set up sort of a Mini-LAN for me and my friends to game in my basement here. I've just been having troubles trying to get it set up, and I realized I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing or if it will even work. So I have a few questions.

First off, here's my situation. We've got the main router in my mom's office in the other room, and I have a CAT 5e cable running from there directly to my computer. I found this random router that I forgot I had, so I tried hooking up a little LAN, just with me and my friend's computer to test it. I couldn't get and internet connection through the 2nd router, but he could, and I ended up connecting to the wireless and that pretty much just...well... did nothing. We didn't even need the 2nd router in that situation.

So on to the questions.

1) Can I even do this? Is it possible to hook a router up with a cable running from a wire?

2) Why isn't it working!? Do I need to set up a new network or something like that?

I kinda want to get this running, as I'm planning on having some people over for some gaming in the near future. Just for the record, the main router (provided by ISP) is a 2Wire 2700 hg-e, and the 2nd one is a Linksys BEFSR41 v.2. Please help :??: 

-Pyro

More about : setting lan questions

October 29, 2007 4:09:53 AM

I suspect your problem is that you're plugging a router into a router, so both are trying to control IP addresses and where the packets are sent to.

You probably need to use a less 'intelligent' network device; I have a similar DSL router here with a $20 8-port network switch plugged into one of the ethernet ports, and it works fine. All the computers can see the Internet and each other, because the switch just passes the packets through unmolested.

Otherwise you could try reconfiguring the router until you find a setup that works, but I've no idea whether you can even get them to talk to each other that way.
October 29, 2007 4:30:59 AM

I downloaded the manual for the Linksys router and it appears you can disable its internal DHCP server; that should eliminate one source of problems if both routers are trying to allocate IP addresses to connected computers.
Related resources
October 29, 2007 8:16:49 AM

You want to have a network for gaming well you need a dhcp server to assign ip's. Next in windows you will need to enable nwlink ipx/spx/netbios compatiable protocal wiff out this protocal you will not be able to connect or read the other computers information, this is needed for lan gaming.
October 29, 2007 2:55:34 PM

But the 2700HG will _also_ be acting as a DHCP server, so having two DHCP servers connected to each other is likely to confuse them. Only one of them should be giving out IP addresses, the other should just be acting as a switch.
October 29, 2007 8:21:46 PM

MarkG said:
But the 2700HG will _also_ be acting as a DHCP server, so having two DHCP servers connected to each other is likely to confuse them. Only one of them should be giving out IP addresses, the other should just be acting as a switch.

No your wrong it is a 2 wire and the isp assigns the ip to his 2700hg then to his computer and the computer assigns a computer Ip, I currently am running a 6 way network wiff the exact same equiptment however I will look and see the model of the cable modem I use. Now with the router and dhcp enabled each computer will be given an IP address, you have to unplug the cable to your mom's computer and plug it in the router WAN, now plug all the computers including your moms into the router. Away you go. Internet proprities connections make sure you uncheck "automatic detect setting". Yes make a new connection wont harm a thing sometimes I have to do that when the Isp is lost. Sometimes you may have too reset the router and sometimes not
October 29, 2007 8:36:00 PM

gomerpile said:
No your wrong it is a 2 wire and the isp assigns the ip to his 2700hg then to his computer and the computer assigns a computer Ip,

Uh, no. The ISP assigns an IP address to the 2700HG, and then the 2700HG's DHCP server assigns local IP addresses to the computers on the network.
October 29, 2007 9:42:13 PM

MarkG said:
Uh, no. The ISP assigns an IP address to the 2700HG, and then the 2700HG's DHCP server assigns local IP addresses to the computers on the network.
that modem uses a residential gateway not dhcpserver. Now if he uses a cable modem like I have, made by RCA which all cable modems have they do not have dhcpserver that is what the ISP uses to assign clients their ISP IP, the computer assign a IP if no connection to the ISP is available, that IP will be your ISP IP if no connection is available, if he is connected to a cable modem and using a router and connected to the net, the router assigns the computer IP and the router stores the ISP IP in the cgi file which is in the routers interface and gets this info from the cable modem provided by the ISP dhcp server. To test what I say unplug your INTERNET all and refresh your network and you will see a IP if no connection is available that is an ISP IP or your network raw IP
October 29, 2007 10:28:55 PM

Soo...uhh, where should I start? I see lots of different suggestions, not sure what to do though...

-Pyro
October 29, 2007 10:34:10 PM

unplug your mom's cable and plug it in the wan
now plug each computer including your mom's in the ports 1,2,3,4
your all set to go now go into your router and make sure dhcp is enabled and set dhcp to 50
Make sure your using straigh through cables

Straight through
A type of network cabling that connects a computer to a network device. For example, straight through cables are the type of cables that connect a computer to a network hub, network switch, and network routers. These are the standard network cables

Crossover cable
Type of networking cable that connects two computers or network devices directly to one another. When buying this type of cable, the packaging must indicate that it's a crossover cable for the required network interface, otherwise, it's likely a typical straight through cable. Often, crossover cables are used to connect two computers with network cards together without using a network hub, network router, or network switch.

October 30, 2007 3:53:12 AM

gomerpile said:
that modem uses a residential gateway not dhcpserver.

The 2700HG has a built-in DHCP server; I know, I've set up a network using one. I don't know why you're denying this.

Here, since you don't believe me, read the manual:

http://www.2wire.com/?p=266
October 30, 2007 8:00:03 AM

Ok if he is able to setup dhcp server wiff his then he will have to make his mom's IP a dmzhost, then plug his moms into the wan of his router, then plug port 1,2,3,4 Mom's,brothers,sisters,his into the router. Or buy a hub but he says he wants to use his router so dmzhost one IP and use the dmzhost as the wan connection into his router done
!