Vista freezes... Please help.

marcbills

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Ok. So one day, I'm playing Diablo 2 in screen, and my computer starts to freeze. So i'm like, great this old ass game is locking up my system for some reason. So I click the restart on my case, and start it back up. Computer runs fine. Then I'm running the game, and same thing again. Then again, then it stops. Very random one time intervuls of freezing right? wrong. I then go the whole day with no issues. Shut it down, and go to sleep. Next day, start up, boot screen, windows loading bar...... ..... ..... .... .... .... and nothing. So i restart, and same thing. Black screen. Then after about 30 seconds of this black screen, it starts up fine. Usually, my start up from click is 60 seconds or less. Now its like 2mins. I check my event logger, and get this error.

"Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN
60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND
TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace
"//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered
through this filter until the problem is corrected."

I research this problem, and apparently its just the result of the freezing at start up and from desktop. So I look through different solution, try all of them, and nothing. I read online it could have something to do with the voltage of the ram slots, and or the timings of the ram.

Also, I monitor my temps, and all are very good <60c at all times.

Heres my set up. PLEASE HELP ME.

EVGA 780i Mobo
8GB OCZ DDR2
Intel Q9400 2.66Ghz
2x500GB HDD
BFG 9800GTX+ OC
Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP1

marcbills

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Oh ya an ULTRA 800 Watt. Funny thing about that is I did think this may have been a problem eventually, but not too long ago, I heard a cricket noise coming from my PC, and i opened up to see what it was, and I have a coolermaster stacker with the fan rack on the door, so as i was just barely moving it to peek inside to find the noise, one of the cords on the molex connector was loose apparently and sparked. This caused the computer to shut down and not start, until I flipped the PSU off then back on. But since then there had been no problems at all, voltages didn't change, everything was running fine and dandy.

Also, this may help or not, but that molex connect, wasn't connected to any other components. It went straight to the PSU.

FSC

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
It sounds to me, though I am not a professional, that you have seriously corrupted system files or something software related. What I'd suggest is:

RUN virus scan
try to use system restore.
try install SP2
declare the os to be crap and reinstall whole operating system

marcbills

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
So i figured it out, turns out my surge protector wasn't delivering enough power. Popped the plug into another one, and it works fine now. I guess sometimes the problem isn't as complicated as predicted.